The Importance Of Godly Community In College

Surround yourselves with people who give life, not take it.

275

Upon my commitment to the College of Charleston, I remember really praying over the idea of Godly community. I wasn't sure what that looked life, entailed, or even how it was going to happen.

Here I am, 4 years later, aching over the fact that I am possibly going to have to separate from the most genuine, loving, and life-giving people I have ever encountered.

The trick with real, life-giving community, is that it doesn't just happen all at once. When you take time to invest in others, communicate with them daily, and be an intentional part of their life, you begin to see this cohesive unit come together.

However, never in a million years, did I think I was going to find this community in a sorority. That's right, I was once that girl who turned her nose up at the idea of being in a sorority.

Never did I think that I would be so transformed by girl's who would have never crossed my path if it were not for the organization that I once looked down upon.

Once I saw this transformation taking place, I began to realize that college is so much more meaningful than people make it out to be. While it is solely dependent on academics, I believe that we must surround our selves with people during this time to be the best version of ourselves that we can be, as well.

Throughout my college experience, I have crossed paths with people who I now consider some of my best friends, mentors, and family.

The idea behind the Godly community is that while we must always be seeking community to lift us up, we must also be that for other people.

Be the friend that goes above and beyond.

Be the friend who is a solid rock for her girls to lean on.

Be the friend who comes back, time and time again.

Engage in a community in college, and become a meaningful part of someone else's community.

Strive for meaningful, deep, authentic relationships that build each other up, not down.