Theatre Review: 'Assata Taught Me'

Theatre Review: 'Assata Taught Me'

Assata taught us that Black History is still contemporary.

21
Theatre Review: 'Assata Taught Me'
Ariana Puzzo

There are some performances that audience members leave wondering why they spent their time watching it, and then there are other ones that can resonate with an audience member for years to come. Lynette Linton’s “Assata Taught Me” succeeds in the latter by bringing a small collection of people from all walks of life together for an intimate look into the black struggle that pervades Western history, as well as contemporary times.

The play follows real-life Black Panther Assata Shakur (Adjoa Andoh), who fled to Cuba as a fugitive after being convicted of murder and imprisoned in the 1970s. While in hiding, she strikes up an unlikely friendship with a local Cuban young man, Fanuco (Kenneth Omole) who is hoping to live in the United States so that he can pursue the American Dream and help support his family. As the play progresses, we see their relationship develop, and see how Shakur begins to view Fanuco, who becomes her student both academically and in life, as a son and “brother”, who is in desperate need of emotional guidance.

The chemistry between the actors is the first noticeable aspect of the play. Since they were the only two actors, it was crucial that they found a rhythm with each other, and it was evident throughout the entire show that the two are capable of bringing out the best performances in each other. Where Fanuco was free-spirited, Shakur matched his naiveté with harsh severity on how cruel the world can be to those who are considered “other.” The two actors expertly carried the dialogue that Kalungi Ssebandeke wrote and brought it off the page, gripping the audience not only during their vitriolic attacks on each other, but also during moments of comfort and support. It was easy from the start to the finish of the show to believe that these two characters felt a deep connection — on a strictly platonic level — to each other, which is a testament to Andoh and Omole’s abilities as stage performers.

As the audience members grew more connected to the characters and their compelling backstories, the intimate setting of Gate Theatre Notting Hill also enabled those in attendance to inject themselves into the context of the story. The set became crucial to telling the story of the characters. Throughout the entirety of the play, they were constantly walking past the audience as scenes transitioned and different aspects of the set were used to convey the changing tone of the play. As Shakur grows progressively more defeated following the death of her friend and fellow freedom fighter, her hesitancy and paranoia also declined, portraying her intensifying vulnerability and discouragement. One moment that stood out in particular was when she answered the door when Fanuco knocked and allowed him to enter without closing the door behind him immediately; a stark contrast to her initial readiness to fire a gun at any potential intruder.

Complimented by the smaller set, which aided in the feeling of self-imprisonment that both her former government and Shakur created, the lighting set the mood that was purposefully expressed in certain scenes. During the scenes where Shakur taught Fanuco basic schooling and life lessons, despite the darker subject matter, the lighting was brighter, suggesting an innocence that was still present in Fanuco, and even Shakur as she remained more secure in her hiding and developing friendship. Alternatively, during climactic scenes, such as Shakur’s breakdown, where she lists the names of young black men and women who were killed for the color of their skin, and another scene when she and Fanuco finally confront each other about her true identity, there is a sharp lighting contrast where the house lights go down and all that remains is bright, white light. These potentially overlooked lighting choices that were made by the director set the mood not only for the audience members, who were brought to the edges of their seats, but also influenced the actors, who used the artistic direction to excel in their dramatic performances.

Those with an interest in seeing “Assata Taught Me” should spend an evening in the

Gate Theatre for numerous reasons, but perhaps the greatest reason is the effect that the performances had on members of the audience. If the sniffing from a female audience member a few rows in front of me was any indication, there will not be a dry eye in the house for any of the show’s future performances.