This person may be a girl/guy, your boyfriend/girlfriend, mother, father, siblings or it can be that pint of ice cream that you have stored in your freezer right now. Hey, it’s a judgment-free zone.

Really who I am referring to is the cheese to your macaroni, the horizon to your sky, the bacon to your eggs, the laces to your sneakers, the jelly to your peanut butter, the smile to your face, the gravy to your mashed potatoes, the bubbles to your bath, the milk to your cookie, the ink to your pen, the ketchup to your french fries, the water to your ocean, and the icing to your cupcake.

In a nutshell, this person is your other half. You can’t imagine living a life without this person and you can’t remember a time when you had to. Your other half could be a best friend, a family member, or a significant other but when you find them hold on to them for dear life. This person completes you and compliments your existence. Without him or her, you are only half of a black and white cookie and that is just sad.

Your other half is a person you stumbled upon one day without knowing the significance they would have in your life. Perhaps you reached for the same head of lettuce in the grocery store, were introduced by your parents, or met at school. No matter the means of meeting, this person has been a constant in your life ever since day 1.

Your other half is not like any other person. Sure, you have had other friends and relationships in the past but none compare to the greatness of this bond. They are the standard you compare all other relationships to. They are the person that no one can hold a candle to. They are that one person that you can trust with your heart and soul. This person is not some fleeting friend that you met in the night, but rather the one that will be there when all the others have disappeared.

Your other half is the person that will see you at your lowest lows and still think so highly of you. They will see you at your highest highs but always remind you to stay humble. They will hold your hair back when you’re throwing up on the night of your 21st birthday and bring it up in their maid of honor speech at your wedding. They’re the person that understands your weirdness and can counter it or accepts it. They will bring you hot soup when you’re sick or ice cream when you need a little pick me up. They will give you a hard time when you are being a stubborn brat, which you frequently may be. They will tell you the honest truth 100% of the time even if it’s not something you want to hear. They will hold your hand through all the tough times in your life and let you go when they need to.

Your other half will always be down to grab late night pizza with you or watch a sappy romantic comedy. They will buy you little gifts for no apparent reason other than the fact that they want to make you happy. They will remind you of all that you are and all the potential that is inside of you. This person makes you feel like you are not alone in the world. You know that they will be by your side even if they’re 1000 miles away. They will be your biggest cheerleader and your most loyal fan.

They are the ones that you make you feel whole and you constantly acknowledge how fortunate you are to have someone like them in your life. You take this person for granted; it’s true. You know how good you have it but sometimes it’s hard to articulate how grateful you are for their existence because there are not enough words that can fully encompass how indebted to them you are. Try as you may you can never truly thank them for all that they have done for you. These people are the diamonds in the rough. Your other half makes you a better person.

While reading this you’ve had maybe one person or a select few people in your mind that you would consider your other half. Yet, you know as well I do that these words in this article are not nearly enough to let your other half know how much you appreciate them, but it’s a start.

Finding your other half, be it a friend or more, is a blessing. One that should be never taken for granted. Finding the Yin to your Yang means that you have found someone that completes you.

So thank you to my other half for making me whole because with you I am a greater person.