The World Is No Longer Your 'Cloyster'

The World Is No Longer Your 'Cloyster'

"Pokemon Go" updates and late-game pitfalls.

23
The World Is No Longer Your 'Cloyster'
Niantic

With the latest series of updates we've seen some good changes but mostly a great deal of what can only be described as utter cow crap, no pun intended; just as the app's late game is about as exciting as watching paint dry. While there's always been something of a speed-limit enforced within the game, which seeks to prevent distracted driving, now the pulse radius and it's frequency have similarly been nerfed. Basically put, even after you've confirmed that you are indeed a passenger, despite the fact that you're probably walking or even just stationary at home, chances are you're not going to be able to accomplish all that much if you're going to be traveling beyond 15–20 miles per hour.

I've been looking forward to this week as I am currently taking a train down to Virginia to visit family, whom I'm obviously overjoyed to be seeing. However I would be lying if I didn't add that I'm also excited to see what new Pokemon are in store for this soon to be level 24 Pokemon Trainer. Without this being a personal gripe fest, let's address the fact that legitimate passengers of public transportation and personal vehicles can barely catch just about anything. With the reduced frequency and radius of your handy dandy pulse-meter, not only are you less likely to even encounter Pokemon, but you're also going to have a harder time hitting PokeStops while on the go. I understand that Niantic doesn't want to encourage distracted driving, just as they primarily want the game to encourage exercise, but that doesn't warrant near game-breaking nerfs like these. Attempting to catch Pokemon while operating a high-speed metal box is much like shark hunting while using your toes as bait — it can be done, but you're probably going to lose an appendage or two. At least the shark hunters aren't putting everyone else nearby at risk.

Besides these very limiting updates, there exists a great deal of room for improvement when it comes to late-game level. Once players reach level 20, not only can they start receiving and using Ultra Balls, so too can they begin the begrudgingly extensive journey to level 30 and eventually all the way up to level 40. As your level gets higher, your ability to power-up your various Pokemon increases, and you'll be able to run into increasingly higher-level Pokemon in the wild. The trouble isn't so much catching pokemon, the trouble is the staggering amount required to advance from one level to another. As of right now evolving for example a Weedle of any level into a Kakuna offers the same amount of experience as evolving a Charmeleon of any level into a Charizard. It's always preferable to catch any and all rare Pokemon, but after levels 20–25 (and even before then) players will benefit more from farming Weedle, Pidgey and Caterpie evolutions than much else. Not to mention once you've managed to catch most, if not all of the 150 Pokemon, you're now bereft of that sweet, sweet new Pokemon XP and are once more left to the not so sweet grind. If this wasn't disheartening enough, here's the real kicker — you know all those neat little accolades/achievements you've probably been noticing throughout your journey? Well they help you to progress through the game as well as sticking your phone in the microwave to hatch eggs: although in their defense these accolades admittedly haven't caused any explosions as of yet.

As with any game and apps especially, "Pokemon Go" has both its strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully, due to the nature of massively multiplayer games like these, updates are on the way and will continue to come pretty much indefinitely. The question is not so much "if" as it is "when," and as of right now the answer is: Who knows, man?