The 'Game Of Thrones' Women Are The Wonder Women Of Westeros

The badass female leaders of HBO's hit series, "Game of Thrones."

41
HBO

SO MANY SPOILERS. You’ve been warned.

Finally, the fans that waited what seems like decades were given the gift of "Game of Thrones" and its newest season premiere from the genius producers at "HBO."

On July 16, the season seven debut episode, “Dragonstone,” of the massively popular television series, based on George R. R. Martin’s literary series met watchers' eyes.

I won’t recap the episode, or the series thus far because none of us have the time right now to follow my butchered timeline of the chaotic gore, sex, nudity and dragons that this series contains.

However, what I am excited to focus on is the incredible amount of girl power we continue to see each season on "Game of Thrones," and Sunday’s premiere only fed that fierce fire of female empowerment.

I have been a fan of the fantasy genre since before the beginning of the "Harry Potter" revolution. I devoured books about magic and obsessively learned as many facts about the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy as I could.

So, it is no surprise that I would instantly be drawn to HBO's visual representation of a fantasy world battling for the “Iron Throne.”

From the beginning of the television series, I found that "Game of Thrones" would be like most medieval-inspired shows and movies, with heavy themes of male dominance and meek women. That didn’t make me resent the show, or its characters because honestly, it was to be expected (which I realize is still disappointing).

However, I was drawn into the Seven Kingdoms and all of the drama, plot twists, heartbreaking deaths, betrayal, bloody battles and gore galore because I like shows that keep me on the edge of my seat with anxious excitement and that make me slightly uncomfortable with their use of excessive violence.

As "Game of Thrones" progressed each season, though, I quickly began to notice that the masculine, male dominance was matched with equal parts badass female characters. Even if you don’t watch the show, or read any of the books, I think that many people could agree that the women are well represented as strong and fearless leaders.

Daenerys Targaryen began as an object of trade, used by her brother to gain power and an army in hopes of becoming the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. Although, her brother’s plans backfired pretty quickly, and Daenerys became a powerhouse queen with an abundance of well-earned titles and three f-ing dragon-children.

Along with Daenerys, Sansa Stark seemed to be portrayed as nothing more than King Joffrey’s verbal and physical punching bag. As we began to see Sansa realize that marrying the cruelest psychopath in King’s Landing was a huge mistake, we also watched her grow into an intellectual and a woman who used her brains as her number one weapon of survival.

After seeing the premiere, and how much Sansa has been through (which is… a lot) we find that she is becoming surer of herself and is not afraid to speak up.

Another Stark, and one of my personal favorites, is Arya Stark. Although she is one of the younger Stark siblings, and the youngest Stark girl, she has proven to be headstrong and unapologetically badass. The entire series has shown just how much of a warrior Arya was meant to be. Since day one, fans realized this Stark was too smart and too fierce to be kept locked in a castle wearing fancy dresses and learning to sew.

Arya’s character has always been somewhat of a rebel, and she never enjoyed standing on the sidelines while her brothers learned how to fight with swords, armor, bows and arrows.

Despite being judged as some sort of freak by a few of her own family members, Arya continued to do what she wanted with the support of her father and older brothers.

Now, Arya is the most calculated and one of the deadliest characters in this show. She spent the rest of her childhood on the run and learning exactly how to fight for her life, only to lose her eyesight (briefly) and learn how to be a nameless, faceless assassin.

Margaery Tyrell and her grandmother were also some of the stronger females of the Seven Kingdoms. Margaery knew how to play off of the vulnerabilities of the Lannister boys in order to get what she wanted. I am not saying that manipulation is the best practice to be successful, but in a way it was necessary. She was able to keep Joffrey’s temper at bay and defended her brother when he was found out to be gay by remaining in prison for not turning him in.

Margaery’s grandmother, Olenna Tyrell, is the sarcastic and blunt grandmother we all need. She does not sugarcoat the facts and is not afraid to speak her mind. Olenna understands the dangers of her granddaughter marrying into the family of the Lannisters and becoming queen of King’s Landing. She gives sound advice to her granddaughter but also does not wait around for anything to happen, good or bad. We have grandmother Tyrell to thank for the welcomed and celebrated murder of King Joffrey.

Brienne of Tarth is another obvious choice for female badass-ery in the series. She is a knight and protector of those she promises to defend. Her loyalty almost outshines her physical strength and ability to fight off multiple dangers at once. Not only does Brienne prove to be a strong fighter, but also she proves to be a decent judge of character by forming a surprising friendship with Jaime Lannister. Brienne is the kind of person you want on your side because she would literally die for those she made a promise to protect.

Last, but certainly not least, we must acknowledge Cersei Lannister. No matter what any fans’ opinions are about Cersei (she really is a stone-cold evil queen) we cannot deny that she has incredible power and strength. Despite the fact that she has been selfishly involved in remaining as the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei has single-handedly become quite the force to be reckoned with. She knows the power she holds and somehow continues to gain more while proving to be a deadly enemy to most because she does not quit until she gets what she wants. Cersei is taking on the role of the Mad Queen (referencing a repeat of the Mad King) and she is literally saying.

The amount of female empowerment that has taken over "Game of Thrones" has absolutely inspired and impressed me to no end. I’m not saying that these characters are perfect in any way because they absolutely have weaknesses that have been known to cloud their judgments.

The women of this series also tend to be stereotypically more emotion-driven, as opposed to the men, but right now that doesn’t seem like an entirely bad thing.

I liked "Game of Thrones" for the drama, mystery and entertainment factors it offered and continues to offer, but each season I am excited to see just how the story lines of the badass women of this fantasy world play out.

It is about time women dominate the media with more than their good looks and designer dresses. "Game of Thrones" shows that females can be just as strong as men to fight for the "Iron Throne", and proves that girls truly can, and will, run the world.