The Witches of COVID

The Witches of COVID

Maybe COVID-19 caused Halloween to come a bit earlier this year...

15
The Witches of COVID

We all have been mistreated by other people one way or another. Especially given the pandemic, we can't help but to let our frustration out more on others than we mean to. This is a rough time and place for most of us and it is inevitable to not feel as if we're on cloud nine. But why do we let ourselves get mistreated? Are we that "easy" to let off on? What is it about the pandemic that is causing more road rage and traffic jams than ever before?

Well, for starters, my grandmother always told me of a Korean saying that if a person is nice, it will often show on their face. Living in an apartment, I got used to encountering different people on a daily basis. Some were friendly and welcoming, others…well not so much. I often heard my parents complaining about some of the people who live in the apartment. I remember how my aunt and I encountered someone who she referred to as "the witch" of the apartment. My aunt is a very affable person and to hear her call someone a witch made me fear for my life what kind of person that old lady was. Although it isn't necessarily healthy to pass these types of judgements along, it does help my parents distinguish who to watch out for and who to get closer to.

But what happens when most of the people have turned grumpy and mad at everyone else? Ever since coronavirus struck, the world became more gloomy and it has gotten harder to please other people. But who says that we have to become people pleasers?

Most of us hate COVID and some also hate having to make everyone happy, when some people have a hard time being happy about themselves. Humans are one of the most enigmatic creatures on Earth and it is about time we change mankind into something...well nicer. What is certain about people pleasing is that it is contagious, just like the coronavirus. It spreads and contaminates every time someone tries to please another person. If we don't watch out for the dangerous signs of people pleasing, we can become just like one of the people pleasers. Every time a person tries to mask their individuality to fit someone else's need (regardless of circumstance) is like them sneezing without covering their face. And the more we sneeze/people please, the more we will make coronavirus an even more futuristic reality.

And just like how coronavirus can kill someone, people pleasing can, too. Although people pleasing may not exactly physically kill someone, it can slowly begin to deteriorate the essence of who they are. The thing with people pleasing is, we are not ourselves when we try to please other people, unless we are honestly that willing to be kind and caring enough to put up with people. I have realized the hard way that ourselves is all we have right now in this pandemic. Yes, we may have parents, friends, relatives, but the first thing we lose, when we go insane because of the pandemic, is ourselves. And, it's not really worth losing who we are over a pandemic that will eventually go away.