15 Classic Must-Watch Christmas Movies

15 Classic Must-Watch Christmas Movies

Whatever your mood, find the movie to fit it.

64
15 Classic Must-Watch Christmas Movies

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of Christmas movies and deciding what movie to watch may turn into a whole debate. But have no fear, I am here to help. Through years of meticulous research, I have developed the following guide to Christmas movies.

1. "Elf"

Year: 2003

Run Time: 1h 37m

Rating: PG

Cast: Will Ferrel, Zooey Deschanel, Peter Dinklage; James Cann

Synopsis: A human orphan finds himself growing up in Santa's workshop and then, once he's an adult, discovers that he is in fact a human and not an elf. He then goes to New York to find his dad and help save Christmas.

Mood: Funny

Who to watch with: People you like laughing with

What to eat while watching: All the candy

2. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"

Year: 1989

Run Time: 1h 37m

Rating: PG-13

Cast: Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Randy Quaid, Juliette Lewis, Johnny Galecki

Synopsis: The quintessential tale of families at the holidays. The story of the Griswold family as they deal with their extended family and the bumps of the holiday season. Truly a classic; very quotable.

Mood: Funny, light-hearted

Who to watch with: Preferably someone who has seen it many times before so you can quote it the whole time, but probably not small children.

What to eat while watching: Jello, but without cat treats in it

3. "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas"

Year: 1999

Run Time: 1h 10m

Rating: NR

Cast: Kelsey Grammer

Synopsis: One movie made up of three different stories including wishing for it to be Christmas everyday, doubting the existence of Santa Clause,and a retelling of the Gift of the Magi.

Mood: Light-hearted family fun

Who to watch with: Little kids

What to eat while watching: A full Christmas dinner

4. "Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas"

Year: 2004

Run Time: 1h 8m

Rating: NR

Cast: Wayne Allwine, Tony Amselmo, Jeff Bennett

Synopsis: Another bunch of mini movies in one movie including an ice skating battle, three kids sneaking around in Santa's workshop, bringing a girlfriend home for the first time, a right old Scrooge, and a bad dog.

Mood: Learning lessons

Who to watch with: Little kids

What to eat while watching: Santa's cookie

5. "It's A Wonderful Life"

Year: 1946

Run Time: 2h 15m

Rating: PG

Cast:James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Karolyn Grimes

Synopsis: A Christmas wish to never be born takes a turn for the worse.

Mood: All the feels

Who to watch with: Someone who can see you cry

What to eat while watching: Anything you can shove in your face while you cry.

6. "Home Alone"

Year: 1990

Run Time: 1h 55m

Rating: PG

Cast: Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern, John Heard, Catherine O'Hara

Synopsis: After careless parents leave their 8-year-old home alone (no pun intended) he is forced to defend his home against holiday robbers.

Mood: Feel-good

Who to watch with: No one

What to eat while watching: Cheese pizza

7. "A Christmas Story"

Year: 1983

Run Time: 1h 34m

Rating: PG

Cast: Jean Shepherd, Peter Billingsley, Zach Ward, Scott Schwartz

Synopsis: A young boy daydreams of getting a BB gun for Christmas, but his plans backfire.

Mood: Childish

Who to watch with: Your little brother (or someone who seems like a younger brother)

What to eat while watching: Ovaltine

8. "The Santa Clause"

Year: 1994

Run Time: 1h 47m

Rating: PG

Cast: Tim Allen, Eric Llyod, Judge Reinhold, Wendy Crewson

Synopsis: A dad scared Santa off the roof and is forced to become Santa and endure the struggles of turning into Santa while also dealing with his own family problems.

Mood: Joyful

Who to watch with: All of the family

What to eat while watching: Denny's

9. "The Santa Clause 2"

Year: 2002

Run Time: 1h 45m

Rating: G

Cast: Tim Allen, Elizabeth Mitchell, Eric Llyod, Judge Reinhold, David Krumholtz

Synopsis: Now that he's Santa Clause he has to find his Mrs. Clause or he will turn back into his normal self.

Mood: Roamantic

Who to watch with: A significant other (or at least someone you can cuddle with)

What to eat while watching: Cocoa

10. "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause"

Year: 2006

Run Time: 1h 38m

Rating: G

Cast: Tim Allen, Eric Llyod, Elizabeth Mitchell, Martin Short

Synopsis: When Jack Frost grows tired of the lack of recognition, he devises a plan to become Santa Clause himself.

Mood: Vengeful

Who to watch with: Your mom

What to eat while watching: Gingerbread Houses

11. "The Polar Express"

Year: 2004

Run Time: 1h 40m

Rating: G

Cast: Tom Hanks, Nona Gaye, Eddie Deezen, Josh Hutcherson

Synopsis: A boy starts to doubt the existence of Santa, but is led on an adventure to the North Pole where his doubts are put to rest.

Mood: Happy and light, while also bringing back memories of elementary school

Who to watch with: Your second grade class

What to eat while watching: Hot chocolate to bring back the memories of second grade

12. "Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas"

Year: 2000

Run Time: 1h 45m

Rating: PG

Cast: Jim Carrey, Taylor Momsen, Christine Baranski, Jeffery Tambor

Synopsis: The Grinch hates Christmas and everything about it, so he plans to take it down, but maybe he'll change his mind.

Mood: Slightly anti-Christmas at first, but the VERY Christmas

Who to watch with: Your dog (or someone else's dog)

What to eat while watching: Christmas ham

13. "White Christmas"

Year: 1954

Run Time: 2h

Rating: NR

Cast: Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera-Ellen, Rosemary Clooney

Synopsis: Two army buddies decide to go into show business together and meet a pair of girls who are a new group. Together, the four put on a show to save the Army Captain's inn.

Mood: Friendship

Who to watch with: A solid group of friends

What to eat while watching: Milkshakes

14. "Christmas With the Kranks"

Year: 2004

Run Time: 1h 39m

Rating: PG

Cast:Jamie Lee Curtis, Tim Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Julie Gonzalo

Synopsis: It's their first Christmas alone without their daughter and the Kranks plan on skipping it and going on a cruise instead. But when their daughter plans on making a surprise visit home, the Kranks are forced to throw together a Christmas party in one day.

Mood: Denial

Who to watch with: Your parents or your daughter

What to eat while watching: Hickory Honey Ham

15. "Die Hard"

Year: 1988

Run Time: 2h 12m

Rating: R

Cast: Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, Bonnie Bedelia, Reginald VelJohnson

Synopsis: While visiting his wife at her office holiday party that is then taken over by terrorists, a NYPD officer is forced to save his family and the rest of the party.

Mood: Christmas is a lame holiday and I'm using the setting of this movie to pass it off as a holiday movie

Who to watch with: The people who will remind you every five minutes the Die Hard IS A CHRISTMAS MOVIE

What to eat while watching: Anything. Just eat. Don't tell me this movie is a Christmas movie.

So whether you're looking to curl up with someone you love or by yourself; with a full meal or just a cup of cocoa, there is a Christmas movie for everyone and every mood. So, sit back, get warm, and enjoy the season.