The Universal New Year's Resolutions

The Universal New Year's Resolutions

Live more.

61

This is a short piece I wrote for my creative writing class over Thanksgiving break, and while looking it over, I discovered how much personal truth it held and how anyone can apply these goals to their own life. Instead of declaring that you'll start going to the gym or stop smoking, it's easier to break down your goals into smaller steps, and I hope you can find something that resonates with you in this writing.

Live more.

Consume more. Travel as much as you can. Read as many books as you can get your hands on. Watch as many shows and films become available to you. Consume art to learn more about the world.

Breathe more. Flush those worries out. Don't let deadlines pile up. Don't let the stress and fear prevent you from living.

Cook more. Don't rely on take-out. Stir up new things, and try new recipes. You might find something you adore.

Learn more. Take the classes you don't think you'll like, and let them open your mind to new experiences.

Speak more. Reach out to friends and family first. Make the effort to include them in your life. Don't brush them off for temporary things.

Practice more. Work on that hobby. Familiarize yourself with your second language. Don't be satisfied with the bare minimum.

Study more. Don't let procrastination become your closest friend. Don't let academics fall behind. You're putting too much on the line to let it all go to waste.

Imagine more. Don't let rationality keep you stuck to earth. Let your fleeting dreams and thoughts exist, and work until they become reality.

Socialize more. Don't let yourself remain trapped in the familiar. Put yourself out there. Meet new people. Have new experiences.

Love more. Don't let fear of rejection or betrayal stifle your affection. Your heart can bear it.

Feel more.

Do more.

Live more.