The Ultimate Guide To Moving Into Your Own Apartment

How to make sure you have everything you need while also making your space uniquely your own!
54

It has finally happened. You are moving in your very own apartment! Among all the hustle and bustle of getting everything you need, planning how you want your own space to look is important since YOU are the one who has to live there! Whether it is a high-rise luxury apartment or a cute old school flat, here are some tips for how to make your new place just a little more you.

1. Choose a color scheme

Whether you're going for a boho theme or a calming and relaxed theme, colors are important! Choose a color scheme that speaks to your personality and that YOU will love to come home to every day. Calming colors such as light greens and blues make for a comfy and homey feel.

2. Find cute accents

So many stores have hundreds upon hundreds of adorable accessories to light up your new home. Rugs, string lights, tapestries and more can make a plain apartment feel comforting and relaxed.

3. Organize, organize, organize!

Our parents were definitely not just playing around when they pounded organization into our heads for 18 years! There are so many ways to make your space look cute yet clean cut at the same time. Get matching hangers for all of your clothes, buy some cute and colorful totes for things such as clothes or books, or finally create the makeup vanity of your dreams!

4. Decorate shared spaced sparingly

If you happen to share your apartment with other people or plan on having company often, don't go too overboard decorating shared spaces such as living rooms or dens. Hang a few posters, add a end table lamp, whatever makes it feel lived in and welcoming but not too overwhelming.

5. Go green!

Plants are the perfect way to brighten up a cute space! Head to your local Walmart or home improvement store and check out all of the cute succulents and cacti in the gardening section. Grab some soil and cute pots and voila! If you are one of those people who just can NOT keep plants alive, Hobby Lobby or Michael's is a great alternative. Pick out a cute vase or two and fill it with some gorgeous fake greenery.

6. Kitchen necessities

For (most likely) the first time in your life, you will have to cook your own meals every day. Scary, right? It doesn't have to be! Finding recipes you love is as simple as going on Pinterest or asking your mom to photocopy some of the meals she makes for you at home. The more challenging part is getting all of the supplies you need to cook. Start off with basics such as measuring cups and spoons, pots and pans, a good knife set, some cutting boards and some essential tools such as a can opener and wooden spoons. Eventually you will work your way up to a fully equipped kitchen!

7. Cleaning supplies

Nobody wants to ruin the excitement of moving into your own place by buying stuff to clean it with, but it is definitely necessary. A small vacuum can come in handy just as often as Windex and Pledge!

8. Lighting

If there is anything I have personally learning from moving into my own place, it is that lighting is key to making an apartment feel like home. Hang some string lights, find a cute lamp to set on an end table, or even put out a few candles to light every so often. A lot of apartments have very harsh overhead lighting and these options can make it feel more relaxed.

9. Check your lease for tips

If you are leasing, make sure to check what you can and cannot have in your apartment. Some places do not allow for nail holes while others don't mind it. Checking for these details ahead of time will ensure that you will get back your security deposit later!

10. Have fun!

After all the stress of getting everything you need and moving in, make sure to enjoy your new home! While being out on your own can be a little intimidating, making your new space feel like home is key to loving where you live.