The Truth Behind The Dreams That Haunt You At Night

Lying awake is common, but being actively afraid to dream is not.

32

We college students have it hard, and we aren't exactly living the life when it comes to maintaining a balanced sleep schedule. Things are hopefully winding down for us now that the semester is ending, or maybe it's just the opposite as finals are surrounding us. Regardless, it is clear that between studying for tests and burning through homework assignments, it's a rare feat for us to get the kind of rest we want to after a long day.

Sleep is such a beautiful thing that we often take for granted. How could it possibly be soiled?

Not all dreams are good dreams.

That isn't exactly a groundbreaking statement, but it's a true one. It's one thing to have the occasional unexpected nightmare, but what about the dreams that leave you desperate to wake up? Have you ever been subconsciously tormented to such an extent that by the time you finally regained consciousness, it felt like years had passed?

It's hardly an enjoyable experience, but many of us have had it. It's quite the subject, and it often revolves around the idea of being haunted by a moment of suffering in your own history.

Negative emotions latch on to your unconscious state.

Have you ever been through a rough breakup? Were there problems brewing in the house you were raised in? Any untimely deaths of loved ones? All of the above, perhaps?

Dark events in our lives are awful, but they shape us more than any other experiences ever can. These are the moments when life has its way with us, and all that's left is our answer to the big question: "How are you going to deal with this?"

While you're going through these struggles, of course, it will be natural that you dream about the people and situations involved. The more negative the experience, the darker and more twisted the nightmares tend to be. It's not rare, but it seems like sometimes the themes of these dreams can be so recurring that the idea of even going to bed becomes daunting to an extent.

It isn't just the dreams at fault here - it's our mentality.

At the end of the day, we don't really have too much control over the kinds of dreams we have, as much as we may wish we did. However, the movies we create for ourselves while we slumber often reflect the kind of mindset we have when we're awake. Depending on what's going on in your personal life and what drama you may be experiencing, your dreams could be affected positively or negatively.

There's no way to simply stop these dreams from happening, especially considering how little control we have over the unconscious mind (hence, the meaning of the word "unconscious"). All we can do is work hard at improving our own outlook on life, no matter how much is thrown at us, in hopes of going to bed in peace. You'd be surprised just how much a good night's rest can help improve your own mindset - so why not make use of it and try to get some sleep, even though you don't know what kinds of dreams will be waiting for you?