The Truth About: Sugar

The Truth About: Sugar

We're addicted and it's killing us.

154
The Truth About: Sugar
Mali Maeder / Stocksnap.io

Let’s just get right into it. Sugar is addictive. Very addictive, in fact, is more addictive than cocaine. In fact, it’s one of the most addictive substance on earth (so far). It out does tobacco, cocaine, even opioids. It gives us a little jolt of happy hormones every time we eat it, the same hormones that cocaine and all those other things shoot into your brain. Your brain goes through the same hell it would with any other addictive substance. The jolt of dopamine, that then leads to bingeing, withdrawal, and cravings. Sugar just does it more, for one because we eat it all the time, and for two because it’s much more powerful. So besides being supremely addictive, what else does it do to your body?

Well, here’s the thing about your body and sugar consumption. There are two basic kinds of sugars, simple sugars and complex sugars. Simple sugars (or monosaccharides) are more readily absorbed and broken down within your body, while the complex (disaccharides) are not. Basically, your body can tolerate sugars like fruit sugars, while the stuff they pack into processed food is much harder on you. The body can only handle so much sugar, though there’s a debate of how much (since every person’s metabolism is quite different) I’ve settled on between 4 to 8 teaspoons a day, though some say 6 to 9, yet the average American eats 19-30 teaspoons a day up to 130 pounds a year! When your body overloads on sugar, that sugar is processed in the liver (sugar is basically a poison, and has no nutritional value) the liver gets overloaded so it sends the rest of the stuff to the pancreas, the pancreas then freaks out and produces insulin in higher amounts. This also messes with your other hormones, blocking receptors in your brain that tell you your full and messing with your energy levels. So are you always hungry and tired? That could be why.

The extra sugar you eat is then turned into fat cells that are very difficult to get rid of. Especially the internal fat, the build up around our organs that cause cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and a myriad of other health problems. Basically, sugar has made America fat, diseased, and dying. But what about the seemingly skinny person you work with that eats whatever they want and doesn’t gain weight? Well, they are actually equally affected by this sugar epidemic. While they may not put on the pounds on the outside, the fat is collecting on the inside. Think of it this way, America is about half and half right now on obesity scale, however, of the half that is not obese, 40 percent of those have that internal fat and precursors for cardiovascular disease that the others do. And if we don’t change something, by 2030, 9 percent of American’s will be obese with all the other diseases that come with it.

The prevailing issue here is that sugar is in everything, and for a reason. The Sugar and Food Industry has run the same campaign that the tobacco industry did in the '70s. (There’s a lovely documentary about this on Netflix, with documentation being found that actually outlines their campaign and compares it to the tobacco industry).

There is irrefutable evidence that the food and sugar industry has been working very hard to keep sugar in foods, undermining laws, paying for research to be conducted in their favor, they even had the Harvard's medical department head and scientist on their payroll, swearing in court that sugar was not only nutritious, that it was essential for a healthy lifestyle. All the while, other scientists were being shut down left and right by the industry, trying to get the truth out for decades.

Here are two simple ways you can see these egregious acts at your own grocery store.

Go to any middle aisle, pick up something that is made ‘without high fructose corn syrup’ and read the ingredients. You will notice two things, one, that under the calorie percentages, there’s a percentage for everything BUT sugar. (They worked very hard to keep that percentage off nutrition labels). The second thing you will notice is that even though that product is made without high fructose corn syrup, there will be sugar in it. It may have another name, one of the 61 names for sugar that companies can legally put on nutrition labels. Pick up another product, something that might be touted as “healthy”, and you may find under the ingredients that a different name for sugar is used up to 12 times (that’s the highest I have found so far). If you didn’t know, ingredient labels are set up so that the first ingredient is the prevailing ingredient in that product, in descending order. So seeing sugar in an ingredient list 12 times should be not only alarming, but it should make you angry.

They have put it in everything. Even the health food that claims to be so good. Even in Organic processed foods. I urge you to go to the store, and find something that is processed that does not have sugar in it. (The list is included at the end of this article)

So what do you do now? How can you get healthy? Well your first step it to change your mindset. You have to be aware that you ARE addicted, we all are. And you have to make the choice to no longer need sugar. The second step is buying food that is whole. Veg, fruit, meat, and simple carbohydrates. It’s a hard transition, and I’m not even fully adjusted yet, but I’ll get there someday. Though already I have noticed a difference, the few times I’ve broken down and eaten processed sugar it has made me ill and given me headaches! It’s a reminder of why I’m changing my lifestyle. And you know what helps me? Getting angry. I’m angry that I’ve been conditioned by a company to need a substance that is killing me, it’s ridiculous, it sounds like an "X-Files" episode! I will NOT let someone manipulate me and ruin MY health so they can go on making money. I will not be part of the statistic, and I will not stop bringing the truth into the light.

So the next time you reach for the yogurt, salad dressing, donuts, or cereal on the shelf, ask yourself. Is this really worth my health? Are a few minutes of dopamine worth a possible lifetime of doctor appointments, cardiovascular disease and obesity?

Something to chew on.

61 Names for Sugar

• Agave nectar
  • Barbados sugar
  • Barley malt
  • Barley malt syrup
  • Beet sugar
  • Brown sugar
  • Buttered syrup
  • Cane juice
  • Cane juice crystals
  • Cane sugar
  • Caramel
  • Carob syrup
  • Castor sugar
  • Coconut palm sugar
  • Coconut sugar
  • Confectioner's sugar
  • Corn sweetener
  • Corn syrup
  • Corn syrup solids
  • Date sugar
  • Dehydrated cane juice
  • Demerara sugar
  • Dextrin
  • Dextrose
  • Evaporated cane juice
  • Free-flowing brown sugars
  • Fructose
  • Fruit juice
  • Fruit juice concentrate
  • Glucose
  • Glucose solids
  • Golden sugar
  • Golden syrup
  • Grape sugar
  • HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup)
  • Honey
  • Icing sugar
  • Invert sugar
  • Malt syrup
  • Maltodextrin
  • Maltol
  • Maltose
  • Mannose
  • Maple syrup
  • Molasses
  • Muscovado
  • Palm sugar
  • Panocha
  • Powdered sugar
  • Raw sugar
  • Refiner's syrup
  • Rice syrup
  • Saccharose
  • Sorghum Syrup
  • Sucrose
  • Sugar (granulated)
  • Sweet Sorghum
  • Syrup
  • Treacle
  • Turbinado sugar
  • Yellow sugar

Sources:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.137...

http://news.mit.edu/2015/decoding-sugar-addiction-...

Behavioral Research Sources and References for Evidence of Sugar Addiction:

• Acquas E, Carboni E, Di Chiara G. Profound depression of mesolimbic dopamine release after morphine withdrawal in dependent rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 1991;193:133–134. [PubMed]
  • Acquas E, Di Chiara G. Depression of mesolimbic dopamine transmission and sensitization to morphine during opiate abstinence. J Neurochem. 1992;58:1620–1625. [PubMed]
  • Ahmed SH, Koob GF. Transition from moderate to excessive drug intake: change in hedonic set point. Science. 1998;282:298–300. [PubMed]
  • Alburges ME, Narang N, Wamsley JK. Alterations in the dopaminergic receptor system after chronic administration of cocaine. Synapse. 1993;14:314–323. [PubMed]
  • American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fouth Edition Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) American Psychiatric Association; Washington, DC: 2000.
  • Antelman SM, Caggiula AR. Norepinephrine-dopamine interactions and behavior. Science. 1977;195:646–653. [PubMed]
  • Antelman SM, Caggiula AR. Oscillation follows drug sensitization: implications. Crit Rev Neurobiol. 1996;10:101–117. [PubMed]
  • Appleton N. Lick the sugar habit. Nancy Appleton; Santa Monica: 1996.
  • Aravich PF, Rieg TS, Lauterio TJ, Doerries LE. Beta-endorphin and dynorphin abnormalities in rats subjected to exercise and restricted feeding: relationship to anorexia nervosa? Brain Res. 1993;622:1–8.[PubMed]
  • Ary M, Chesarek W, Sorensen SM, Lomax P. Naltrexone-induced hypothermia in the rat. Eur J Pharmacol. 1976;39:215–220. [PubMed]
  • Avena NM, Carrillo CA, Needham L, Leibowitz SF, Hoebel BG. Sugar-dependent rats show enhanced intake of unsweetened ethanol. Alcohol. 2004;34:203–209. [PubMed]
  • Avena NM, Hoebel BG. Amphetamine-sensitized rats show sugar-induced hyperactivity (cross-sensitization) and sugar hyperphagia. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003a;74:635–639. [PubMed]
  • Avena NM, Hoebel BG. A diet promoting sugar dependency causes behavioral cross-sensitization to a low dose of amphetamine. Neuroscience. 2003b;122:17–20. [PubMed]
  • Avena NM, Long KA, Hoebel BG. Sugar-dependent rats show enhanced responding for sugar after abstinence: evidence of a sugar deprivation effect. Physiol Behav. 2005;84:359–362. [PubMed]
  • Avena NM, Rada P, Moise N, Hoebel BG. Sucrose sham feeding on a binge schedule releases accumbens dopamine repeatedly and eliminates the acetylcholine satiety response. Neuroscience. 2006;139:813–820.[PubMed]
  • Bailey A, Gianotti R, Ho A, Kreek MJ. Persistent upregulation of mu-opioid, but not adenosine, receptors in brains of long-term withdrawn escalating dose “binge” cocaine-treated rats. Synapse. 2005;57:160–166.[PubMed]
  • Bakshi VP, Kelley AE. Sensitization and conditioning of feeding following multiple morphine microinjections into the nucleus accumbens. Brain Res. 1994;648:342–346. [PubMed]
  • Bals-Kubik R, Herz A, Shippenberg TS. Evidence that the aversive effects of opioid antagonists and kappa-agonists are centrally mediated. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1989;98:203–206. [PubMed]
  • Bancroft J, Vukadinovic Z. Sexual addiction, sexual compulsivity, sexual impulsivity, or what? Toward a theoretical model. J Sex Res. 2004;41:225–234. [PubMed]
  • Bassareo V, Di Chiara G. Differential influence of associative and nonassociative learning mechanisms on the responsiveness of prefrontal and accumbal dopamine transmission to food stimuli in rats fed ad libitum. J Neurosci. 1997;17:851–861. [PubMed]
  • Bassareo V, Di Chiara G. Modulation of feeding-induced activation of mesolimbic dopamine transmission by appetitive stimuli and its relation to motivational state. Eur J Neurosci. 1999;11:4389–4397. [PubMed]
  • Bello NT, Lucas LR, Hajnal A. Repeated sucrose access influences dopamine D2 receptor density in the striatum. Neuroreport. 2002;13:1575–1578. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Bello NT, Sweigart KL, Lakoski JM, Norgren R, Hajnal A. Restricted feeding with scheduled sucrose access results in an upregulation of the rat dopamine transporter. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003;284:R1260–1268. [PubMed]
  • Bencherif B, Guarda AS, Colantuoni C, Ravert HT, Dannals RF, Frost JJ. Regional mu-opioid receptor binding in insular cortex is decreased in bulimia nervosa and correlates inversely with fasting behavior. J Nucl Med. 2005;46:1349–1351. [PubMed]
  • Berridge KC. Food reward: brain substrates of wanting and liking. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1996;20:1–25.[PubMed]
  • Berridge KC, Robinson TE. What is the role of dopamine in reward: hedonic impact, reward learning, or incentive salience? Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1998;28:309–369. [PubMed]
  • Berthoud HR, Jeanrenaud B. Sham feeding-induced cephalic phase insulin release in the rat. Am J Physiol. 1982;242:E280–285. [PubMed]
  • Bienkowski P, Rogowski A, Korkosz A, Mierzejewski P, Radwanska K, Kaczmarek L, Bogucka-Bonikowska A, Kostowski W. Time-dependent changes in alcohol-seeking behaviour during abstinence. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2004;14:355–360. [PubMed]
  • Blomqvist O, Ericson M, Johnson DH, Engel JA, Soderpalm B. Voluntary ethanol intake in the rat: effects of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor blockade or subchronic nicotine treatment. Eur J Pharmacol. 1996;314:257–267. [PubMed]
  • Bock BC, Kanarek RB, Aprille JR. Mineral content of the diet alters sucrose-induced obesity in rats. Physiol Behav. 1995;57:659–668. [PubMed]
  • Boggiano MM, Chandler PC, Viana JB, Oswald KD, Maldonado CR, Wauford PK. Combined dieting and stress evoke exaggerated responses to opioids in binge-eating rats. Behav Neurosci. 2005;119:1207–1214.[PubMed]
  • Bozarth MA, Wise RA. Intracranial self-administration of morphine into the ventral tegmental area in rats. Life Sci. 1981;28:551–555. [PubMed]
  • Bozarth MA, Wise RA. Toxicity associated with long-term intravenous heroin and cocaine self-administration in the rat. JAMA. 1985;254:81–83. [PubMed]
  • Bozarth MA, Wise RA. Involvement of the ventral tegmental dopamine system in opioid and psychomotor stimulant reinforcement. NIDA Res Monogr. 1986;67:190–196. [PubMed]
  • Bray GA, Nielsen SJ, Popkin BM. Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79:537–543. [PubMed]
  • Bray GA, York B, DeLany J. A survey of the opinions of obesity experts on the causes and treatment of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55:151S–154S. [PubMed]
  • Brewerton TD, Lydiard RB, Laraia MT, Shook JE, Ballenger JC. CSF beta-endorphin and dynorphin in bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1992;149:1086–1090. [PubMed]
  • Buda-Levin A, Wojnicki FH, Corwin RL. Baclofen reduces fat intake under binge-type conditions. Physiol Behav. 2005;86:176–184. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Carr KD. Chronic food restriction: Enhancing effects on drug reward and striatal cell signaling. Physiol Behav 2006 [PubMed]
  • Carroll ME. The role of food deprivation in the maintenance and reinstatement of cocaine-seeking behavior in rats. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1985;16:95–109. [PubMed]
  • Carroll ME, Anderson MM, Morgan AD. Regulation of intravenous cocaine self-administration in rats selectively bred for high (HiS) and low (LoS) saccharin intake. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2006[PubMed]
  • Chau D, Rada PV, Kosloff RA, Hoebel BG. Cholinergic, M1 receptors in the nucleus accumbens mediate behavioral depression. A possible downstream target for fluoxetine. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;877:769–774. [PubMed]
  • Cheer JF, Wassum KM, Heien ML, Phillips PE, Wightman RM. Cannabinoids enhance subsecond dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens of awake rats. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4393–4400. [PubMed]
  • Colantuoni C, Rada P, McCarthy J, Patten C, Avena NM, Chadeayne A, Hoebel BG. Evidence that intermittent, excessive sugar intake causes endogenous opioid dependence. Obes Res. 2002;10:478–488.[PubMed]
  • Colantuoni C, Schwenker J, McCarthy J, Rada P, Ladenheim B, Cadet JL, Schwartz GJ, Moran TH, Hoebel BG. Excessive sugar intake alters binding to dopamine and mu-opioid receptors in the brain. Neuroreport. 2001;12:3549–3552. [PubMed]
  • Comings DE, Gade-Andavolu R, Gonzalez N, Wu S, Muhleman D, Chen C, Koh P, Farwell K, Blake H, Dietz G, MacMurray JP, Lesieur HR, Rugle LJ, Rosenthal RJ. The additive effect of neurotransmitter genes in pathological gambling. Clin Genet. 2001;60:107–116. [PubMed]
  • Corwin RL. Bingeing rats: a model of intermittent excessive behavior? Appetite. 2006;46:11–15.[PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Covington HE, Miczek KA. Repeated social-defeat stress, cocaine or morphine. Effects on behavioral sensitization and intravenous cocaine self-administration “binges” Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2001;158:388–398. [PubMed]
  • Curry DL. Effects of mannose and fructose on the synthesis and secretion of insulin. Pancreas. 1989;4:2–9.[PubMed]
  • Davis C, Claridge G. The eating disorders as addiction: a psychobiological perspective. Addict Behav. 1998;23:463–475. [PubMed]
  • De Vries TJ, Shippenberg TS. Neural systems underlying opiate addiction. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3321–3325. [PubMed]
  • De Witte P, Pinto E, Ansseau M, Verbanck P. Alcohol and withdrawal: from animal research to clinical issues. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2003;27:189–197. [PubMed]
  • Deas D, May MP, Randall C, Johnson N, Anton R. Naltrexone treatment of adolescent alcoholics: an open-label pilot study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005;15:723–728. [PubMed]
  • Deneau G, Yanagita T, Seevers MH. Self-administration of psychoactive substances by the monkey. Psychopharmacologia. 1969;16:30–48. [PubMed]
  • Deroche-Gamonet V, Belin D, Piazza PV. Evidence for addiction-like behavior in the rat. Science. 2004;305:1014–1017. [PubMed]
  • DesMaisons K. Your last diet!: The sugar addict’s weight-loss plan. Random House; Toronto: 2001.
  • Di Chiara G, Imperato A. Preferential stimulation of dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens by opiates, alcohol, and barbiturates: studies with transcerebral dialysis in freely moving rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1986;473:367–381. [PubMed]
  • Di Chiara G, Imperato A. Drugs abused by humans preferentially increase synaptic dopamine concentrations in the mesolimbic system of freely moving rats. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:5274–5278. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Di Chiara G, Tanda G. Blunting of reactivity of dopamine transmission to palatable food: a biochemical marker of anhedonia in the CMS model? Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1997;134:351–353. [PubMed]
  • Dickinson A, Wood N, Smith JW. Alcohol seeking by rats: action or habit? Q J Exp Psychol B. 2002;55:331–348. [PubMed]
  • Drewnowski A, Krahn DD, Demitrack MA, Nairn K, Gosnell BA. Taste responses and preferences for sweet high-fat foods: evidence for opioid involvement. Physiol Behav. 1992;51:371–379. [PubMed]
  • Dum J, Gramsch C, Herz A. Activation of hypothalamic beta-endorphin pools by reward induced by highly palatable food. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1983;18:443–447. [PubMed]
  • Ellgren M, Spano SM, Hurd YL. Adolescent cannabis exposure alters opiate intake and opioid limbic neuronal populations in adult rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006 Epub ahead of print. [PubMed]
  • Elliott SS, Keim NL, Stern JS, Teff K, Havel PJ. Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002;76:911–922. [PubMed]
  • Espejo EF, Stinus L, Cador M, Mir D. Effects of morphine and naloxone on behaviour in the hot plate test: an ethopharmacological study in the rat. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1994;113:500–510. [PubMed]
  • Everitt BJ, Wolf ME. Psychomotor stimulant addiction: a neural systems perspective. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3312–3320. [PubMed]
  • Ferrario CR, Robinson TE. Amphetamine pretreatment accelerates the subsequent escalation of cocaine self-administration behavior. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2007;17:352–357. [PubMed]
  • File SE, Andrews N. Low but not high doses of buspirone reduce the anxiogenic effects of diazepam withdrawal. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1991;105:578–582. [PubMed]
  • File SE, Lippa AS, Beer B, Lippa MT. Unit 8.4 Animal tests of anxiety. In: Crawley JN, et al., editors. Current Protocols in Neuroscience. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; Indianapolis: 2004.
  • Finlayson G, King N, Blundell JE. Is it possible to dissociate ‘liking’ and ‘wanting’ for foods in humans? A novel experimental procedure. Physiol Behav. 2007;90:36–42. [PubMed]
  • Fiorino DF, Phillips AG. Facilitation of sexual behavior and enhanced dopamine efflux in the nucleus accumbens of male rats after D-amphetamine-induced behavioral sensitization. J Neurosci. 1999;19:456–463. [PubMed]
  • Fiserova M, Consolo S, Krsiak M. Chronic morphine induces long-lasting changes in acetylcholine release in rat nucleus accumbens core and shell: an in vivo microdialysis study. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1999;142:85–94. [PubMed]
  • Foley KA, Fudge MA, Kavaliers M, Ossenkopp KP. Quinpirole-induced behavioral sensitization is enhanced by prior scheduled exposure to sucrose: A multivariable examination of locomotor activity. Behav Brain Res. 2006;167:49–56. [PubMed]
  • Foster J, Brewer C, Steele T. Naltrexone implants can completely prevent early (1-month) relapse after opiate detoxification: a pilot study of two cohorts totalling 101 patients with a note on naltrexone blood levels. Addict Biol. 2003;8:211–217. [PubMed]
  • Fullerton DT, Getto CJ, Swift WJ, Carlson IH. Sugar, opioids and binge eating. Brain Res Bull. 1985;14:673–680. [PubMed]
  • Galic MA, Persinger MA. Voluminous sucrose consumption in female rats: increased “nippiness” during periods of sucrose removal and possible oestrus periodicity. Psychol Rep. 2002;90:58–60. [PubMed]
  • Gendall KA, Sullivan PE, Joyce PR, Carter FA, Bulik CM. The nutrient intake of women with bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 1997;21:115–127. [PubMed]
  • Georges F, Stinus L, Bloch B, Le Moine C. Chronic morphine exposure and spontaneous withdrawal are associated with modifications of dopamine receptor and neuropeptide gene expression in the rat striatum. Eur J Neurosci. 1999;11:481–490. [PubMed]
  • Gerber GJ, Wise RA. Pharmacological regulation of intravenous cocaine and heroin self-administration in rats: a variable dose paradigm. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989;32:527–531. [PubMed]
  • Gessa GL, Muntoni F, Collu M, Vargiu L, Mereu G. Low doses of ethanol activate dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area. Brain Res. 1985;348:201–203. [PubMed]
  • Gillman MA, Lichtigfeld FJ. The opioids, dopamine, cholecystokinin, and eating disorders. Clin Neuropharmacol. 1986;9:91–97. [PubMed]
  • Glass MJ, Billington CJ, Levine AS. Opioids and food intake: distributed functional neural pathways? Neuropeptides. 1999;33:360–368. [PubMed]
  • Glick SD, Shapiro RM, Drew KL, Hinds PA, Carlson JN. Differences in spontaneous and amphetamine-induced rotational behavior, and in sensitization to amphetamine, among Sprague-Dawley derived rats from different sources. Physiol Behav. 1986;38:67–70. [PubMed]
  • Glimcher PW, Giovino AA, Hoebel BG. Neurotensin self-injection in the ventral tegmental area. Brain Res. 1987;403:147–150. [PubMed]
  • Glimcher PW, Giovino AA, Margolin DH, Hoebel BG. Endogenous opiate reward induced by an enkephalinase inhibitor, thiorphan, injected into the ventral midbrain. Behav Neurosci. 1984;98:262–268.[PubMed]
  • Glowa JR, Rice KC, Matecka D, Rothman RB. Phentermine/fenfluramine decreases cocaine self-administration in rhesus monkeys. Neuroreport. 1997;8:1347–1351. [PubMed]
  • Gosnell BA. Sucrose intake enhances behavioral sensitization produced by cocaine. Brain Res. 2005;1031:194–201. [PubMed]
  • Greenberg BD, Segal DS. Acute and chronic behavioral interactions between phencyclidine (PCP) and amphetamine: evidence for a dopaminergic role in some PCP-induced behaviors. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1985;23:99–105. [PubMed]
  • Grimm JW, Fyall AM, Osincup DP. Incubation of sucrose craving: effects of reduced training and sucrose pre-loading. Physiol Behav. 2005;84:73–79. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Grimm JW, Hope BT, Wise RA, Shaham Y. Neuroadaptation. Incubation of cocaine craving after withdrawal. Nature. 2001;412:141–142. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Haber SN, Lu W. Distribution of preproenkephalin messenger RNA in the basal ganglia and limbic-associated regions of the monkey telencephalon. Neuroscience. 1995;65:417–429. [PubMed]
  • Hajnal A, Mark GP, Rada PV, Lenard L, Hoebel BG. Norepinephrine microinjections in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus increase extracellular dopamine and decrease acetylcholine in the nucleus accumbens: relevance to feeding reinforcement. J Neurochem. 1997;68:667–674. [PubMed]
  • Hajnal A, Norgren R. Repeated access to sucrose augments dopamine turnover in the nucleus accumbens. Neuroreport. 2002;13:2213–2216. [PubMed]
  • Hajnal A, Smith GP, Norgren R. Oral sucrose stimulation increases accumbens dopamine in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004;286:R31–R37. [PubMed]
  • Hajnal A, Szekely M, Galosi R, Lenard L. Accumbens cholinergic interneurons play a role in the regulation of body weight and metabolism. Physiol Behav. 2000;70:95–103. [PubMed]
  • Harris GC, Wimmer M, Aston-Jones G. A role for lateral hypothalamic orexin neurons in reward seeking. Nature. 2005;437:556–559. [PubMed]
  • Helm KA, Rada P, Hoebel BG. Cholecystokinin combined with serotonin in the hypothalamus limits accumbens dopamine release while increasing acetylcholine: a possible satiation mechanism. Brain Res. 2003;963:290–297. [PubMed]
  • Henningfield JE, Clayton R, Pollin W. Involvement of tobacco in alcoholism and illicit drug use. Br J Addict. 1990;85:279–291. [PubMed]
  • Hernandez L, Hoebel BG. Food reward and cocaine increase extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens as measured by microdialysis. Life Sci. 1988;42:1705–1712. [PubMed]
  • Heubner H. Endorphins, eating disorders and other addictive behaviors. W. W. Norton; New York: 1993.
  • Hoebel BG. Brain neurotransmitters in food and drug reward. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985;42:1133–1150.[PubMed]
  • Hoebel BG, Hernandez L, Schwartz DH, Mark GP, Hunter GA. Microdialysis studies of brain norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine release during ingestive behavior: theoretical and clinical implications. In: Schneider LH, et al., editors. The Psychobiology of Human Eating Disorders: Preclinical and Clinical Perspectives. Vol. 575. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences; New York: 1989. pp. 171–193. [PubMed]
  • Hoebel BG, Leibowitz SF, Hernandez L. Neurochemistry of anorexia and bulimia. In: Anderson H, editor. The biology of feast and famine: relevance to eating disorders. Academic Press; New York: 1992. pp. 21–45.
  • Hoebel BG, Rada P, Mark GP, Pothos E. Neural systems for reinforcement and inhibition of behavior: Relevance to eating, addiction, and depression. In: Kahneman D, et al., editors. Well-being: the Foundations of Hedonic Psychology. Russell Sage Foundation; New York: 1999. pp. 558–572.
  • Holderness CC, Brooks-Gunn J, Warren MP. Co-morbidity of eating disorders and substance abuse review of the literature. Int J Eat Disord. 1994;16:1–34. [PubMed]
  • Howard BV, Wylie-Rosett J. Sugar and cardiovascular disease: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Nutrition of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2002;106:523–527. [PubMed]
  • Hubbell CL, Mankes RF, Reid LD. A small dose of morphine leads rats to drink more alcohol and achieve higher blood alcohol concentrations. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1993;17:1040–1043. [PubMed]
  • Hurd YL, Kehr J, Ungerstedt U. In vivo microdialysis as a technique to monitor drug transport: correlation of extracellular cocaine levels and dopamine overflow in the rat brain. J Neurochem. 1988;51:1314–1316.[PubMed]
  • Ito R, Dalley JW, Howes SR, Robbins TW, Everitt BJ. Dissociation in conditioned dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens core and shell in response to cocaine cues and during cocaine-seeking behavior in rats. J Neurosci. 2000;20:7489–7495. [PubMed]
  • Itzhak Y, Martin JL. Effects of cocaine, nicotine, dizocipline and alcohol on mice locomotor activity: cocaine-alcohol cross-sensitization involves upregulation of striatal dopamine transporter binding sites. Brain Res. 1999;818:204–211. [PubMed]
  • Jimerson DC, Lesem MD, Kaye WH, Brewerton TD. Low serotonin and dopamine metabolite concentrations in cerebrospinal fluid from bulimic patients with frequent binge episodes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:132–138. [PubMed]
  • Kalivas PW. Glutamate systems in cocaine addiction. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2004;4:23–29. [PubMed]
  • Kalivas PW, Striplin CD, Steketee JD, Klitenick MA, Duffy P. Cellular mechanisms of behavioral sensitization to drugs of abuse. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1992;654:128–135. [PubMed]
  • Kalivas PW, Volkow ND. The neural basis of addiction: a pathology of motivation and choice. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1403–1413. [PubMed]
  • Kalivas PW, Weber B. Amphetamine injection into the ventral mesencephalon sensitizes rats to peripheral amphetamine and cocaine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1988;245:1095–1102. [PubMed]
  • Kantak KM, Miczek KA. Aggression during morphine withdrawal: effects of method of withdrawal, fighting experience, and social role. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1986;90:451–456. [PubMed]
  • Katherine A. Anatomy of a food addiction: an effective program to overcome compulsive eating. Gurze Books; Carlsbad: 1996.
  • Katz JL, Valentino RJ. The opiate quasiwithdrawal syndrome in rhesus monkeys: comparison of naloxone-precipitated withdrawal to effects of cholinergic agents. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1984;84:12–15.[PubMed]
  • Kawasaki T, Kashiwabara A, Sakai T, Igarashi K, Ogata N, Watanabe H, Ichiyanagi K, Yamanouchi T. Long-term sucrose-drinking causes increased body weight and glucose intolerance in normal male rats. Br J Nutr. 2005;93:613–618. [PubMed]
  • Kelley AE, Bakshi VP, Haber SN, Steininger TL, Will MJ, Zhang M. Opioid modulation of taste hedonics within the ventral striatum. Physiol Behav. 2002;76:365–377. [PubMed]
  • Kelley AE, Baldo BA, Pratt WE. A proposed hypothalamic-thalamic-striatal axis for the integration of energy balance, arousal, and food reward. J Comp Neurol. 2005;493:72–85. [PubMed]
  • Kelley AE, Will MJ, Steininger TL, Zhang M, Haber SN. Restricted daily consumption of a highly palatable food (chocolate Ensure(R)) alters striatal enkephalin gene expression. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:2592–2598. [PubMed]
  • Klein DA, Boudreau GS, Devlin MJ, Walsh BT. Artificial sweetener use among individuals with eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2006;39:341–345. [PubMed]
  • Koob GF, Le Moal M. Drug abuse: hedonic homeostatic dysregulation. Science. 1997;278:52–58.[PubMed]
  • Koob GF, Le Moal M. Neurobiology of Addiction. Academic Press; San Diego: 2005.
  • Koob GF, Maldonado R, Stinus L. Neural substrates of opiate withdrawal. Trends Neurosci. 1992;15:186–191. [PubMed]
  • Lai S, Lai H, Page JB, McCoy CB. The association between cigarette smoking and drug abuse in the United States. J Addict Dis. 2000;19:11–24. [PubMed]
  • Le KA, Tappy L. Metabolic effects of fructose. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006;9:469–475.[PubMed]
  • Le Magnen J. A role for opiates in food reward and food addiction. In: Capaldi PT, editor. Taste, Experience, and Feeding. American Psychological Association; Washington, D. C.: 1990. pp. 241–252.
  • Leibowitz SF, Hoebel BG. Behavioral neuroscience and obesity. In: Bray G, et al., editors. The Handbook of Obesity. Marcel Dekker; New York: 2004. pp. 301–371.
  • Levine AS, Billington CJ. Opioids as agents of reward-related feeding: a consideration of the evidence. Physiol Behav. 2004;82:57–61. [PubMed]
  • Levine AS, Kotz CM, Gosnell BA. Sugars: hedonic aspects, neuroregulation, and energy balance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;78:834S–842S. [PubMed]
  • Liang NC, Hajnal A, Norgren R. Sham feeding corn oil increases accumbens dopamine in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R1236–R1239. [PubMed]
  • Liguori A, Hughes JR, Goldberg K, Callas P. Subjective effects of oral caffeine in formerly cocaine-dependent humans. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1997;49:17–24. [PubMed]
  • Lu L, Grimm JW, Hope BT, Shaham Y. Incubation of cocaine craving after withdrawal: a review of preclinical data. Neuropharmacology. 2004;47(Suppl 1):214–226. [PubMed]
  • Ludwig DS, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL. Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. Lancet. 2001;357:505–508. [PubMed]
  • Mark GP, Blander DS, Hoebel BG. A conditioned stimulus decreases extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens after the development of a learned taste aversion. Brain Res. 1991;551:308–310. [PubMed]
  • Mark GP, Rada P, Pothos E, Hoebel BG. Effects of feeding and drinking on acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens, striatum, and hippocampus of freely behaving rats. Journal of Neurochemistry. 1992;58:2269–2274. [PubMed]
  • Mark GP, Weinberg JB, Rada PV, Hoebel BG. Extracellular acetylcholine is increased in the nucleus accumbens following the presentation of an aversively conditioned taste stimulus. Brain Res. 1995;688:184–188. [PubMed]
  • Markou A, Weiss F, Gold LH, Caine SB, Schulteis G, Koob GF. Animal models of drug craving. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1993;112:163–182. [PubMed]
  • Marrazzi MA, Luby ED. An auto-addiction opioid model of chronic anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 1986;5:191–208.
  • Marrazzi MA, Luby ED. The neurobiology of anorexia nervosa: an auto-addiction? In: Cohen M, Foa P, editors. The Brain as an Endocrine Organ. Springer-Verlag; New York: 1990. pp. 46–95.
  • Martin WR. Treatment of heroin dependence with naltrexone. Curr Psychiatr Ther. 1975;15:157–161.[PubMed]
  • Martin WR, Wikler A, Eades CG, Pescor FT. Tolerance to and Physical Dependence on Morphine in Rats. Psychopharmacologia. 1963;4:247–260. [PubMed]
  • McBride WJ, Murphy JM, Ikemoto S. Localization of brain reinforcement mechanisms: intracranial self-administration and intracranial place-conditioning studies. Behav Brain Res. 1999;101:129–152. [PubMed]
  • McSweeney FK, Murphy ES, Kowal BP. Regulation of drug taking by sensitization and habituation. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2005;13:163–184. [PubMed]
  • Mercer ME, Holder MD. Food cravings, endogenous opioid peptides, and food intake: a review. Appetite. 1997;29:325–352. [PubMed]
  • Mifsud JC, Hernandez L, Hoebel BG. Nicotine infused into the nucleus accumbens increases synaptic dopamine as measured by in vivo microdialysis. Brain Res. 1989;478:365–367. [PubMed]
  • Miller RJ, Pickel VM. Immunohistochemical distribution of enkephalins: interactions with catecholamine-containing systems. Adv Biochem Psychopharmacol. 1980;25:349–359. [PubMed]
  • Mogenson GJ, Yang CR. The contribution of basal forebrain to limbic-motor integration and the mediation of motivation to action. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1991;295:267–290. [PubMed]
  • Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. Jama. 2004;291:1238–1245. [PubMed]
  • Moore RJ, Vinsant SL, Nadar MA, Poorino LJ, Friedman DP. Effect of cocaine self-administration on dopamine D2 receptors in rhesus monkeys. Synapse. 1998;30:88–96. [PubMed]
  • Mutschler NH, Miczek KA. Withdrawal from a self-administered or non-contingent cocaine binge: differences in ultrasonic distress vocalizations in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1998;136:402–408.[PubMed]
  • Nelson JE, Pearson HW, Sayers M, Glynn TJ, editors. Guide to Drug Abuse Research Terminology. National Institute on Drug Abuse; Rockville: 1982.
  • Nichols ML, Hubbell CL, Kalsher MJ, Reid LD. Morphine increases intake of beer among rats. Alcohol. 1991;8:237–240. [PubMed]
  • Nisell M, Nomikos GG, Svensson TH. Systemic nicotine-induced dopamine release in the rat nucleus accumbens is regulated by nicotinic receptors in the ventral tegmental area. Synapse. 1994;16:36–44.[PubMed]
  • Nocjar C, Panksepp J. Chronic intermittent amphetamine pretreatment enhances future appetitive behavior for drug- and natural-reward: interaction with environmental variables. Behav Brain Res. 2002;128:189–203. [PubMed]
  • O’Brien CP. Anticraving medications for relapse prevention: a possible new class of psychoactive medications. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1423–1431. [PubMed]
  • O’Brien CP, Childress AR, Ehrman R, Robbins SJ. Conditioning factors in drug abuse: can they explain compulsion? J Psychopharmacol. 1998;12:15–22. [PubMed]
  • O’Brien CP, Testa T, O’Brien TJ, Brady JP, Wells B. Conditioned narcotic withdrawal in humans. Science. 1977;195:1000–1002. [PubMed]
  • Olds ME. Reinforcing effects of morphine in the nucleus accumbens. Brain Res. 1982;237:429–440.[PubMed]
  • Pan Y, Berman Y, Haberny S, Meller E, Carr KD. Synthesis, protein levels, activity, and phosphorylation state of tyrosine hydroxylase in mesoaccumbens and nigrostriatal dopamine pathways of chronically food-restricted rats. Brain Res. 2006;1122:135–142. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Pecina S, Berridge KC. Central enhancement of taste pleasure by intraventricular morphine. Neurobiology (Bp) 1995;3:269–280. [PubMed]
  • Pelchat ML, Johnson A, Chan R, Valdez J, Ragland JD. Images of desire: food-craving activation during fMRI. Neuroimage. 2004;23:1486–1493. [PubMed]
  • Pellow S, Chopin P, File SE, Briley M. Validation of open:closed arm entries in an elevated plus-maze as a measure of anxiety in the rat. J Neurosci Methods. 1985;14:149–167. [PubMed]
  • Petry NM. Should the scope of addictive behaviors be broadened to include pathological gambling? Addiction. 2006;101(Suppl 1):152–160. [PubMed]
  • Piazza PV, Deminiere JM, Le Moal M, Simon H. Factors that predict individual vulnerability to amphetamine self-administration. Science. 1989;245:1511–1513. [PubMed]
  • Picciotto MR, Corrigall WA. Neuronal systems underlying behaviors related to nicotine addiction: neural circuits and molecular genetics. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3338–3341. [PubMed]
  • Pierce RC, Kalivas PW. Amphetamine produces sensitized increases in locomotion and extracellular dopamine preferentially in the nucleus accumbens shell of rats administered repeated cocaine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995;275:1019–1029. [PubMed]
  • Pontieri FE, Monnazzi P, Scontrini A, Buttarelli FR, Patacchioli FR. Behavioral sensitization to heroin by cannabinoid pretreatment in the rat. Eur J Pharmacol. 2001;421:R1–R3. [PubMed]
  • Porsolt RD, Anton G, Blavet N, Jalfre M. Behavioural despair in rats: a new model sensitive to antidepressant treatments. Eur J Pharmacol. 1978;47:379–391. [PubMed]
  • Pothos E, Rada P, Mark GP, Hoebel BG. Dopamine microdialysis in the nucleus accumbens during acute and chronic morphine, naloxone-precipitated withdrawal and clonidine treatment. Brain Res. 1991;566:348–350. [PubMed]
  • Prasad BM, Ulibarri C, Sorg BA. Stress-induced cross-sensitization to cocaine: effect of adrenalectomy and corticosterone after short- and long-term withdrawal. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1998;136:24–33.[PubMed]
  • Przewlocka B, Turchan J, Lason W, Przewlocki R. The effect of single and repeated morphine administration on the prodynorphin system activity in the nucleus accumbens and striatum of the rat. Neuroscience. 1996;70:749–754. [PubMed]
  • Putnam J, Allhouse JE. Food consumption, prices, and expenditures, 1970-1997. Food and Consumers Economics Division, Economics Research Service, US Department of Agriculture; Washington, D. C.: 1999.
  • Rada P, Avena NM, Hoebel BG. Adicción al azúcar: ¿Mito ó realidad? Revision. Rev Venez Endocrinol Metab. 2005a;3:2–12.
  • Rada P, Avena NM, Hoebel BG. Daily bingeing on sugar repeatedly releases dopamine in the accumbens shell. Neuroscience. 2005b;134:737–744. [PubMed]
  • Rada P, Colasante C, Skirzewski M, Hernandez L, Hoebel B. Behavioral depression in the swim test causes a biphasic, long-lasting change in accumbens acetylcholine release, with partial compensation by acetylcholinesterase and muscarinic-1 receptors. Neuroscience. 2006;141:67–76. [PubMed]
  • Rada P, Hoebel BG. Acetylcholine in the accumbens is decreased by diazepam and increased by benzodiazepine withdrawal: a possible mechanism for dependency. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;508:131–138.[PubMed]
  • Rada P, Jensen K, Hoebel BG. Effects of nicotine and mecamylamine-induced withdrawal on extracellular dopamine and acetylcholine in the rat nucleus accumbens. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2001;157:105–110.[PubMed]
  • Rada P, Johnson DF, Lewis MJ, Hoebel BG. In alcohol-treated rats, naloxone decreases extracellular dopamine and increases acetylcholine in the nucleus accumbens: evidence of opioid withdrawal. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2004;79:599–605. [PubMed]
  • Rada P, Mark GP, Hoebel BG. Galanin in the hypothalamus raises dopamine and lowers acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens: a possible mechanism for hypothalamic initiation of feeding behavior. Brain Res. 1998;798:1–6. [PubMed]
  • Rada P, Mark GP, Pothos E, Hoebel BG. Systemic morphine simultaneously decreases extracellular acetylcholine and increases dopamine in the nucleus accumbens of freely moving rats. Neuropharmacology. 1991a;30:1133–1136. [PubMed]
  • Rada P, Paez X, Hernandez L, Avena NM, Hoebel BG. Microdialysis in the study of behavior reinforcement and inhibition. In: Westerink BH, Creamers T, editors. Handbook of Microdialysis: Methods, Application and Perspectives. Academic Press; New York: 2007. pp. 351–375.
  • Rada P, Pothos E, Mark GP, Hoebel BG. Microdialysis evidence that acetylcholine in the nucleus accumbens is involved in morphine withdrawal and its treatment with clonidine. Brain Res. 1991b;561:354–356. [PubMed]
  • Rada PV, Hoebel BG. Supraadditive effect of d-fenfluramine plus phentermine on extracellular acetylcholine in the nucleus accumbens: possible mechanism for inhibition of excessive feeding and drug abuse. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;65:369–373. [PubMed]
  • Rada PV, Mark GP, Taylor KM, Hoebel BG. Morphine and naloxone, i.p. or locally, affect extracellular acetylcholine in the accumbens and prefrontal cortex. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1996;53:809–816.[PubMed]
  • Rada PV, Mark GP, Yeomans JJ, Hoebel BG. Acetylcholine release in ventral tegmental area by hypothalamic self-stimulation, eating, and drinking. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;65:375–379.[PubMed]
  • Radhakishun FS, Korf J, Venema K, Westerink BH. The release of endogenous dopamine and its metabolites from rat striatum as detected in push-pull perfusates: effects of systematically administered drugs. Pharm Weekbl Sci. 1983;5:153–158. [PubMed]
  • Ranaldi R, Pocock D, Zereik R, Wise RA. Dopamine fluctuations in the nucleus accumbens during maintenance, extinction, and reinstatement of intravenous D-amphetamine self-administration. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4102–4109. [PubMed]
  • Riva G, Bacchetta M, Cesa G, Conti S, Castelnuovo G, Mantovani F, Molinari E. Is severe obesity a form of addiction? Rationale, clinical approach, and controlled clinical trial. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2006;9:457–479. [PubMed]
  • Robinson TE, Berridge KC. The neural basis of drug craving: an incentive-sensitization theory of addiction. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1993;18:247–291. [PubMed]
  • Rolls ET. Brain mechanisms underlying flavour and appetite. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2006;361:1123–1136. [PMC free article][PubMed]
  • Rossetti ZL, Hmaidan Y, Gessa GL. Marked inhibition of mesolimbic dopamine release: a common feature of ethanol, morphine, cocaine and amphetamine abstinence in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 1992;221:227–234.[PubMed]
  • Rufus E. Sugar addction: a step-by-step guide to overcoming sugar addiction. Elizabeth Brown Rufus; Bloomington, IN: 2004.
  • Saad MF, Khan A, Sharma A, Michael R, Riad-Gabriel MG, Boyadjian R, Jinagouda SD, Steil GM, Kamdar V. Physiological insulinemia acutely modulates plasma leptin. Diabetes. 1998;47:544–549.[PubMed]
  • Salamone JD. Complex motor and sensorimotor functions of striatal and accumbens dopamine: involvement in instrumental behavior processes. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1992;107:160–174. [PubMed]
  • Sato Y, Ito T, Udaka N, Kanisawa M, Noguchi Y, Cushman SW, Satoh S. Immunohistochemical localization of facilitated-diffusion glucose transporters in rat pancreatic islets. Tissue Cell. 1996;28:637–643. [PubMed]
  • Schenk S, Snow S, Horger BA. Pre-exposure to amphetamine but not nicotine sensitizes rats to the motor activating effect of cocaine. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1991;103:62–66. [PubMed]
  • Schoffelmeer AN, Wardeh G, Vanderschuren LJ. Morphine acutely and persistently attenuates nonvesicular GABA release in rat nucleus accumbens. Synapse. 2001;42:87–94. [PubMed]
  • Schulteis G, Yackey M, Risbrough V, Koob GF. Anxiogenic-like effects of spontaneous and naloxone-precipitated opiate withdrawal in the elevated plus-maze. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1998;60:727–731.[PubMed]
  • Schultz W, Dayan P, Montague PR. A neural substrate of prediction and reward. Science. 1997;275:1593–1599. [PubMed]
  • Schwartz MW, Woods SC, Porte D, Jr, Seeley RJ, Baskin DG. Central nervous system control of food intake. Nature. 2000;404:661–671. [PubMed]
  • Sclafani A, Nissenbaum JW. Is gastric sham feeding really sham feeding? Am J Physiol. 1985;248:R387–390. [PubMed]
  • Shalev U, Morales M, Hope B, Yap J, Shaham Y. Time-dependent changes in extinction behavior and stress-induced reinstatement of drug seeking following withdrawal from heroin in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2001;156:98–107. [PubMed]
  • Sinclair JD, Senter RJ. Development of an alcohol-deprivation effect in rats. Q J Stud Alcohol. 1968;29:863–867. [PubMed]
  • Smith GP. Sham feeding in rats with chronic, reversible gastric fistulas. In: Crawley JN, et al., editors. Current Protocols in Neruoscience. Vol. 8.6. John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; New York: 1998. pp. D.1–D.6.
  • Smith JE, Co C, Lane JD. Limbic acetylcholine turnover rates correlated with rat morphine-seeking behaviors. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1984;20:429–442. [PubMed]
  • Spanagel R, Herz A, Shippenberg TS. The effects of opioid peptides on dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens: an in vivo microdialysis study. J Neurochem. 1990;55:1734–1740. [PubMed]
  • Spangler R, Goddard NL, Avena NM, Hoebel BG, Leibowitz SF. Elevated D3 dopamine receptor mRNA in dopaminergic and dopaminoceptive regions of the rat brain in response to morphine. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003;111:74–83. [PubMed]
  • Spangler R, Wittkowski KM, Goddard NL, Avena NM, Hoebel BG, Leibowitz SF. Opiate-like effects of sugar on gene expression in reward areas of the rat brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;124:134–142.[PubMed]
  • Stein L. Brain endorphins: possible mediators of pleasure and reward. Neurosci Res Program Bull. 1978;16:556–563. [PubMed]
  • Stein L, Belluzzi JD. Brain endorphins: possible role in reward and memory formation. Fed Proc. 1979;38:2468–2472. [PubMed]
  • Tanda G, Di Chiara G. A dopamine-mu1 opioid link in the rat ventral tegmentum shared by palatable food (Fonzies) and non-psychostimulant drugs of abuse. Eur J Neurosci. 1998;10:1179–1187. [PubMed]
  • Teff KL, Elliott SS, Tschop M, Kieffer TJ, Rader D, Heiman M, Townsend RR, Keim NL, D’Alessio D, Havel PJ. Dietary fructose reduces circulating insulin and leptin, attenuates postprandial suppression of ghrelin, and increases triglycerides in women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2963–2972. [PubMed]
  • Toida S, Takahashi M, Shimizu H, Sato N, Shimomura Y, Kobayashi I. Effect of high sucrose feeding on fat accumulation in the male Wistar rat. Obes Res. 1996;4:561–568. [PubMed]
  • Turchan J, Lason W, Budziszewska B, Przewlocka B. Effects of single and repeated morphine administration on the prodynorphin, proenkephalin and dopamine D2 receptor gene expression in the mouse brain. Neuropeptides. 1997;31:24–28. [PubMed]
  • Turski WA, Czuczwar SJ, Turski L, Sieklucka-Dziuba M, Kleinrok Z. Studies on the mechanism of wet dog shakes produced by carbachol in rats. Pharmacology. 1984;28:112–120. [PubMed]
  • Uhl GR, Ryan JP, Schwartz JP. Morphine alters preproenkephalin gene expression. Brain Res. 1988;459:391–397. [PubMed]
  • Unterwald EM. Regulation of opioid receptors by cocaine. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;937:74–92.[PubMed]
  • Unterwald EM, Ho A, Rubenfeld JM, Kreek MJ. Time course of the development of behavioral sensitization and dopamine receptor up-regulation during binge cocaine administration. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1994;270:1387–1396. [PubMed]
  • Unterwald EM, Kreek MJ, Cuntapay M. The frequency of cocaine administration impacts cocaine-induced receptor alterations. Brain Res. 2001;900:103–109. [PubMed]
  • Vaccarino FJ, Bloom FE, Koob GF. Blockade of nucleus accumbens opiate receptors attenuates intravenous heroin reward in the rat. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1985;86:37–42. [PubMed]
  • Vanderschuren LJ, Everitt BJ. Drug seeking becomes compulsive after prolonged cocaine self-administration. Science. 2004;305:1017–1019. [PubMed]
  • Vanderschuren LJ, Everitt BJ. Behavioral and neural mechanisms of compulsive drug seeking. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;526:77–88. [PubMed]
  • Vanderschuren LJ, Kalivas PW. Alterations in dopaminergic and glutamatergic transmission in the induction and expression of behavioral sensitization: a critical review of preclinical studies. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2000;151:99–120. [PubMed]
  • Vezina P. Sensitization of midbrain dopamine neuron reactivity and the self-administration of psychomotor stimulant drugs. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2004;27(8):827–839. [PubMed]
  • Vezina P, Giovino AA, Wise RA, Stewart J. Environment-specific cross-sensitization between the locomotor activating effects of morphine and amphetamine. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989;32:581–584.[PubMed]
  • Vezina P, Lorrain DS, Arnold GM, Austin JD, Suto N. Sensitization of midbrain dopamine neuron reactivity promotes the pursuit of amphetamine. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4654–4662. [PubMed]
  • Vigano D, Rubino T, Di Chiara G, Ascari I, Massi P, Parolaro D. Mu opioid receptor signaling in morphine sensitization. Neuroscience. 2003;117:921–929. [PubMed]
  • Vilsboll T, Krarup T, Madsbad S, Holst JJ. Both GLP-1 and GIP are insulinotropic at basal and postprandial glucose levels and contribute nearly equally to the incretin effect of a meal in healthy subjects. Regul Pept. 2003;114:115–121. [PubMed]
  • Volkow ND, Ding YS, Fowler JS, Wang GJ. Cocaine addiction: hypothesis derived from imaging studies with PET. J Addict Dis. 1996a;15:55–71. [PubMed]
  • Volkow ND, Wang GJ, Fowler JS, Logan J, Hitzemann R, Ding YS, Pappas N, Shea C, Piscani K. Decreases in dopamine receptors but not in dopamine transporters in alcoholics. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996b;20:1594–1598. [PubMed]
  • Volkow ND, Wang GJ, Telang F, Fowler JS, Logan J, Childress AR, Jayne M, Ma Y, Wong C. Cocaine cues and dopamine in dorsal striatum: mechanism of craving in cocaine addiction. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6583–6588. [PubMed]
  • Volkow ND, Wise RA. How can drug addiction help us understand obesity? Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:555–560. [PubMed]
  • Volpicelli JR, Alterman AI, Hayashida M, O’Brien CP. Naltrexone in the treatment of alcohol dependence. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:876–880. [PubMed]
  • Volpicelli JR, Ulm RR, Hopson N. Alcohol drinking in rats during and following morphine injections. Alcohol. 1991;8:289–292. [PubMed]
  • Waller DA, Kiser RS, Hardy BW, Fuchs I, Feigenbaum LP, Uauy R. Eating behavior and plasma beta-endorphin in bulimia. Am J Clin Nutr. 1986;44:20–23. [PubMed]
  • Wang GJ, Volkow ND, Logan J, Pappas NR, Wong CT, Zhu W, Netusil N, Fowler JS. Brain dopamine and obesity. Lancet. 2001;357:354–357. [PubMed]
  • Wang GJ, Volkow ND, Telang F, Jayne M, Ma J, Rao M, Zhu W, Wong CT, Pappas NR, Geliebter A, Fowler JS. Exposure to appetitive food stimuli markedly activates the human brain. Neuroimage. 2004a;21:1790–1797. [PubMed]
  • Wang GJ, Volkow ND, Thanos PK, Fowler JS. Similarity between obesity and drug addiction as assessed by neurofunctional imaging: a concept review. J Addict Dis. 2004b;23:39–53. [PubMed]
  • Way EL, Loh HH, Shen FH. Simultaneous quantitative assessment of morphine tolerance and physical dependence. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1969;167:1–8. [PubMed]
  • Weiss F. Neurobiology of craving, conditioned reward and relapse. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2005;5:9–19.[PubMed]
  • Westerink BH, Tuntler J, Damsma G, Rollema H, de Vries JB. The use of tetrodotoxin for the characterization of drug-enhanced dopamine release in conscious rats studied by brain dialysis. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1987;336:502–507. [PubMed]
  • Wideman CH, Nadzam GR, Murphy HM. Implications of an animal model of sugar addiction, withdrawal and relapse for human health. Nutr Neurosci. 2005;8:269–276. [PubMed]
  • Wise RA. The neurobiology of craving: implications for the understanding and treatment of addiction. J Abnorm Psychol. 1988;97:118–132. [PubMed]
  • Wise RA. Opiate reward: sites and substrates. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1989;13:129–133. [PubMed]
  • Wise RA. Drug self-administration viewed as ingestive behaviour. Appetite. 1997;28:1–5. [PubMed]
  • Wise RA, Bozarth MA. Brain reward circuitry: four circuit elements “wired” in apparent series. Brain Res Bull. 1984;12:203–208. [PubMed]
  • Wise RA, Newton P, Leeb K, Burnette B, Pocock D, Justice JB., Jr Fluctuations in nucleus accumbens dopamine concentration during intravenous cocaine self-administration in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1995;120:10–20. [PubMed]
  • Yeomans JS. Role of tegmental cholinergic neurons in dopaminergic activation, antimuscarinic psychosis and schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1995;12:3–16. [PubMed]
  • Yoshimoto K, McBride WJ, Lumeng L, Li TK. Alcohol stimulates the release of dopamine and serotonin in the nucleus accumbens. Alcohol. 1992;9:17–22. [PubMed]
  • Zangen A, Nakash R, Overstreet DH, Yadid G. Association between depressive behavior and absence of serotonin-dopamine interaction in the nucleus accumbens. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2001;155:434–439.[PubMed]
  • Zhang M, Gosnell BA, Kelley AE. Intake of high-fat food is selectively enhanced by mu opioid receptor stimulation within the nucleus accumbens. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1998;285:908–914. [PubMed]
  • Zhang M, Kelley AE. Intake of saccharin, salt, and ethanol solutions is increased by infusion of a mu opioid agonist into the nucleus accumbens. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2002;159:415–423. [PubMed]
  • Zubieta JK, Gorelick DA, Stauffer R, Ravert HT, Dannals RF, Frost JJ. Increased mu opioid receptor binding detected by PET in cocaine-dependent men is associated with cocaine craving. Nat Med. 1996;2:1225–1229. [PubMed]

Documentary Sources:

http://fedupmovie.com/

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/