8 Truths About My First Couple Months Of College

It's the best of times; it's the worst of times.

189
personal photo

1. I'm homesick for not Woodstock

I always wanted to love my high school, take cute graduation pictures on the field in my UGA shirt and cap and gown, and have all of my hometown friends visit for game days. However, I spent my senior year getting upset every time I stepped on campus. I never felt truly close with anyone from Etowah and spent 12th grade dual enrolling to avoid it as much as possible. I was lucky enough to find my people in other aspects of my life. I loved Wesley at KSU, my coworkers that became close friends, and penpals from all over I sent letters to.

I was fortunate enough to spend 5 weeks of my summer serving at Camp Glisson in Dahlonega. For the past 10 years, camp has been my home. Going to college almost directly from camp made me homesick to be back between the gates. I miss the community. I miss the chapel. I miss the kids. I don't miss dining hall dishes, but camp is everywhere I want to be. I miss the inside jokes and the friends. I miss Moes. I never knew it was possible to homesick for places other than your address. College gave me homesickness for feelings and people rather than places.

2. Friends are too good here

In high school, you talk to the people in your classes out of convenience, but in college, your friendships are intentional. Your friends have to go out of their way to see you which makes it so much more genuine. We are all busy, so finding people who take time out of their busy schedules to spend time together is important. At UGA, I am closer with people from across the country than I was people from my county. Going to a big school gave me the opportunity to build community across state lines, but more importantly, it gave me friends who care about me and my well being rather than what I got on our last history test.

3. It's a Win-Lose — always

I've experienced more wins here than UGA's football team which says a lot because the dawgs are damn good. I win when I see 15 people I know on my way to get my mail. I win when I find a quizlet with everything I need. My first semester so far has been blessed with some of the best experiences I've ever had. I could ask a GroupMe for a triple-A battery, a teaspoon of canola oil, and a Ziploc bag of fish food at 3 a.m., and have it to my door within the hour.

Freshman year of college is also known to be full of mistakes. Signing up for a 9:30 class was my first one. Between buying the wrong size trash bags to accidentally putting laundry detergent in the dryer, living on my own has had some challenges. I emailed my professor about the campus wifi with the subject line "This wifi sure isn't feeling a connection." UGA has taught me to buckle up and deal with the uh-ohs and the oh-nos. I've learned a lot here even though II still don't know how to take the bus.

4. School is hard

This week I stayed in MLC until 3:30 a.m. I slept in a study room. The amount of color pens I have exceeds the number of kids in my lecture classes. Going to a school that only accepts high achievers means above and beyond is the new bare minimum. Study rooms become homey. Review sessions always make the calendar. And sleep is nonexistent. I haven't done well on assignments in my "easy" classes and raced through homework I almost forgot about. It is a lot to keep up with in a color coded planner.

5. My immune system fails more than freshmen in chemistry

I am always sick: bronchitis, allergies, a random cough that might be TB, who knows. Maybe it's the dorms or the elevator buttons, but I have never spent so much money on cold medicine than this semester.

6. I have no understanding of time

I spent two hours looking for haunted houses in Athens last Tuesday, but I can't quite figure out how to find time in the morning to walk down the hall for water for coffee. Sometimes I have far too much time than I know what to do with, but other times, I have no idea how to fit everything into 24 hours.

7. Everything isn't the Instagram dream life

Sorority girls love Instagram like glitter. The art of perfect editing, the best filters, the most promising angles, and likes from hundreds of people are somehow becoming a staple that comes with the Greek letters. However, the game day post with the cute pom poms was probably taken first quarter before they left at halftime due to dehydration. The cute outfit for the themed social was most likely borrowed. The wild party on Snapchat probably meant skipping a morning class with mandatory attendance. The college girl life isn't always glamorous. It isn't always as cool as it looks on social media. It's a lot of sweating walking to class and crying in community bathrooms.

8. It's my best life

I've been here for two months, and I have fallen in love with Athens. I have found immense friendship within my sorority, a nonstop party on my hall, and an elevator of continuous community. I couldn't imagine myself going anywhere else. Sometimes, it's rough, but it be like that sometimes. Through it all, go dawgs. I have never been more thankful to be a part of something than I am being a student at UGA.