The True Meaning Behind "Your Selfish Years"

It's your time to "travel, fall in and out of love, be ridiculous and silly", and everything else that goes along with being twenty-something.

115
Tumblr

When entering the time of your late teens to early twenties, you oftentimes hear people talk of "your selfish years". People say your selfish years are the time for you to focus on yourself and become more independent than you have ever been. It's your time to "travel, fall in and out of love, be ridiculous and silly", and everything else that goes along with being twenty-something.

Okay, so I would be lying if I said I have never used "these are my selfish years" as a reason as to why I did or did not do something. It's like we need a reason to justify our actions. Nobody wants to be called selfish, but we all want to be mindful of our own happiness as well. We hear and say things like:

"Well, I decided to end things because I want to focus on me and I'm in my selfish years."

or

"Well it's okay things didn't work out because now I can do whatever I want...besides, it's my selfish years and I should be living it up."

Okay, maybe not those exact quotes, but you get the picture.

I think we all misconstrue the true meaning of our selfish years though. We base the idea around being single, being carefree, and doing whatever the hell we want to do. The truth of it is though, your selfish years are about doing whatever it takes to be happy. Whether that is single, happily in love with your boyfriend, or being engaged to the love of your life. Whether it's traveling the world seeing all the places you have always wanted to see, or spending your free time in those years with your family, because they are the most important to you. Whether it's spending money on a new car instead of concerts or spending money on concerts instead of a new car. It's whatever makes you truly happy.

Everyone's "selfish years" have their own story. Our society generalizes it as one idea rather than what it truly is. Take the time to do whatever makes you happy. These years are the time to discover what it is that makes you happy and what makes you unhappy, so you don't spend the rest of your life finding out what or who makes you genuinely happy. The generalized idea of these "selfish years" is a sad excuse to our actions, but when we look at it for what it really means, I believe we can find true happiness at one of the most life-altering points in our lives.