The Real 'Bully Breed' Is Not A Dog Breed. It's Humans

Educate yourself before assuming a breed is dangerous.

57
Dominick DeNofio

You know what really grinds my gears?

Reckless humans.

Not the kind of humans that just get on your nerves, but is overall harmless.

The kind of human that is pretentious, arrogant, ignorant and just plain terrible.

I am a person that typically shares her disgust toward the human race on a daily basis. We are destructive beings with too much power in our hands.

I mean, look at what kind of negative legacy we have left behind on this Earth: Donald Trump is President of the United States, global warming is slowly killing the planet (yet people still ignore the science) and hate and violence are running rampant.

Granted, not everything about us humans is terrible and there are many positive contributions that certainly outweigh the negatives.

However, recent news (both world and personal) has me leaning a little to the pessimistic side. Especially news that involves sh*tty people ruining lives for not only great people, but pets as well.

I love animals. All of them.

I am an obsessed cat lady, simply because Dexter and Chai are my tiny, adorable psychos wrapped in purrs and kitten fur.

Cats aren't my only favorites, because I really just enjoy all creatures that are not human.

I do enjoy other humans, too, but they are way more difficult to warm up to.

My boyfriend has a fantastic set of parents who could arguably be the sweetest dog lovers you'd ever meet.

Specifically, I am focusing on his father, Dante*, and step mother, Monica*.

Due to the actions of other people, snooty neighbors to be exact, Monica and Dante's barely one-year-old Doberman was essentially forced out of the neighborhood.

As civil as I am trying to be right now (it's very hard at the moment), I understand that his dad and stepmother felt the best decision was to re-home Klyde (the doggo).

Where these imbeciles (meaning the neighbors responsible for pushing Klyde out) gained any education about basic pet ownership is beyond me.

What happened?

Well, Klyde had the odds stacked against him already being stereotyped as "dangerous" solely due to his breed. On a few occasions, Klyde had been known to venture outside of his parameters, mainly because he was a curious puppy trying to understand this new world.

One time he chased a cat, and one of the displeased neighbors watched this happen, immediately assuming Klyde was a murderous, blood-thirsty monster.

He is not, and he never came close to catching the cat, let alone acting aggressively toward it.

Another time, Klyde wandered into the yard of one of the aforementioned neighbors and barked at him. Again, that guy assumed this was an act of hostile aggression.

A solution was put into place: simply build a fence. Klyde could run around freely while he learned how to listen a bit better, and the neighbors would not have to hide in fear (insert eye roll).

Well, I now introduce the second awful neighbor.

A fence line was drawn up from a professional who surveyed the land. This brought up some new information on property lines, and it seemed that Dante actually owned more land than originally thought, meaning his neighbor would lose a portion of property he believed was his.

Dante, being the reasonable guy that he is, agreed not to move forward with building the fence.

Soon after, an incident in which Klyde wandered into this other neighbor's yard (while the first-mentioned neighbor was outside watching) and reportedly "nipped" the neighbor's girlfriend. There were no police reports, hospital/doctor visits or even any injuries shown or reported.

Everyone was fine and this non-issue turned into a completely overdramatic incident in which it was revealed that the "whole street" is afraid of Klyde and believe he should not be allowed to stay.

I swear, I am not letting any bias get in the way of these facts. Klyde is still a puppy, learning how to listen better and control his impulses to chase, bark and greet every new person (or cat) he sees.

Dante put a lot of time, energy, love and money into getting Klyde trained and prepared for a comfortable and loving life.

Except all of that effort appears to have been futile due to the utter ignorance of some less-than-knowledgeable a-holes.

Now, a dog who had nothing but curiosity in his brains and so much love in his heart to give to his humans must readjust with a new person and environment, all because he is labeled as a dangerous breed without any effort or time to get to know him.

Nothing gets me more heated than people who have zero consideration for others, especially animals.

In my opinion, if Klyde could get along perfectly fine with two older Pugs (which he has done on many occasions), as well as plenty of other dogs and humans, then I am assuming the attitude and actions of these two guys to turn an entire street against one lovable dog were probably highly uncalled for.

Just an educated guess.

With so much happening in this world, the negative attitude aimed toward particular dog breeds keeps me perplexed on a daily basis.

More perplexed than Donald in the White House (yikes).

"Bully breeds" are just made up lists of dogs that insurance companies and states assume could be dangerous.

If you look up official lists of so-called dangerous dog breeds, you will get a lot of misinformation.

As a matter of fact, you get completely made up information.

According to Psychology Today, "No specific scientific criteria are required for a dog breed to be blacklisted, and it is possible that simply one report in the media might be enough to cause an official in an insurance company to decide that one or another dog breed is dangerous".

If any one is genuinely concerned for the safety of themselves and others in the cowardly cul de sac, maybe you should start digging out the pitchforks and torches demanding the sassy, yapping Chihuahua be kicked out or killed as well.

I don't want that to happen, but if we're looking at science and statistics, Chihuahuas are typically one of the meanest breeds. Behind them?

Dachshunds.

Yes, tiny hot dogs and six-pound pups are shown to be more temperamental and lash out at people than those larger breeds, such as Pit Bulls, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers and Shepherds.

Although, I am a firm believer that the majority of a dog's temper comes from how the animal is treated and cared for by their human.

Going further, we don't exactly know what being considered a "bully breed" really means.

Animal Planet says, "Bully breeds all come from the same root stock called Molosser, which is a breed that originated in ancient Greece. Molossers were big dogs with large bones and muscles, pendant ears and short muzzles. The bullies that we know today were created as a result of Molossers combining with other breeds".

More interesting is that technically the Pugs I mentioned before, come from the Molosser root.

I cannot think of a breed less intimidating than a Pug, yet they should be classified with the other big, bad "bullies".

So, I know this article will do very little for Klyde. But, at least he's okay and in good hands.

Sadly, not all pups classified and labeled as dangerous get to experience a carefree, loved life simply because a neighbor or two, an insurance company or some idiotic human with a vendetta against big dogs decides that type of dog just doesn't fit in to an affluent neighborhood solely based on fiction and no research.

If you ask me, the real "bully breeds" are not our four-legged family members.

The real bullies are the humans that are grossly misinformed and heartless enough to force a lovable pup out of a loving home.

Tell me, does this look dangerous to you?

*Names have been changed to ensure anonymity.

**Pictured above: Klyde (Doberman Pinscher); Nala & Riley (Pugs); Cola (Dachshund) & Zeus (Pit Bull).