The Transition to College: 21st Century Edition

How social media has changed the transition into college.
1

Technology was introduced to me at a young age. From the Nintendo DS to computers, I grew up in a time when technology was rapidly evolving. My generation was introduced to online communication when we were barely in elementary school through Webkinz. By the time we were in seventh grade, most of my classmates and I had created Facebook accounts. Then came Twitter and Instagram. While our parents yelled at us to get off the computer and go outside, and as our teachers warned us of the dangers of social media, no one ever told us that it would be essential for our transition into college.

Prior to entering college, chances are you saw your best friends every day at school. Whether you had class with them or not, you would pass them every day in the hallway and find comfort in their passing smiles. You looked forward to when you had the same lunch block, and spent those thirty minutes catching up and being silly. Well, that has been take away.

Your friends are now at their own colleges. Whether it be a few minutes away or across the country, it does not matter because they are not there with you. You will both get caught up in school and become busy and overtired. Now that you cannot pass them in the hallway or even hop in the car and meet them for coffee, you rely on text messaging, FaceTime, and social media.

Seeing your best friends having the time of their lives on their Snapchat stories will always bring a smile to your face. When you are sitting in your dorm thinking about how much you miss your best friends, you know they are just one FaceTime call away. You have the opportunity to see your best friends' dorms via pictures on social media before you get the chance to go visit.

I have grown to rely on social media and technology during this transition, as sad as it sounds. I have branched out and made friends, but in order to talk to my friends from home, the only way to do that is through the use of technology and social media. My professors talk about how sad it is to see students walking together but all on their phones. In a sense it is sad. In another sense, it is their way to connect home while they are away.

For my final speech in my communication course this semester, I tackled this topic. I looked at the pitfalls of this generation's reliance on technology and how it has expanded our communication opportunities. With FaceTime, texting, and social media, your friends and family are just a call away. The problem with this is the fact that if you are not using FaceTime or another video chat medium, nonverbal communication is virtually eliminated. You do not see how what you says impacts the other person. You also do not know if the other person is lying. They could be saying they are fine, but they could be sad.

Overall, the influx of technology has helped first year college students with their transition from high school to college. They are able to stay in contact with friends and family. People are able to talk to others all over the world or country. When you begin to miss your best friend, you can pick up your phone, laptop, or tablet and video chat with them. Today, you may be physically separated; however, you are always connected.