An Analogy Of Just How Torturous It Is To Let Go Of Someone

I know what it was like the last time you let go.

155

After every heartbreak comes a process of letting go that's different for both of the individuals who were involved in the relationship.

Perhaps one of them is lucky enough to move on slightly faster than the other, but regardless, the process still involves an unexpected level of torture that many often struggle to describe to their family members or friends.

All of the clothes and gifts which had any relationship at all to your ex were laid out directly in front of you in some way, perhaps on your very own bed. You looked at all of them together, one last time.

One of your closest friends was probably even there to help you dispose of everything, because you just didn't have the strength to do so all by yourself.

However, you didn't see them as just a friend. On the contrary, they were a doctor (and you, their patient). You might even say that each of the items on your bed represented portions of your entire body, which you saw fixated directly in front of him or her for a much needed "surgery".

Part of your role involved standing to the side of the bed to watch your own recovery process commence.

The other part involved you having to actually witness portions of yourself be stripped away by the doctor, one by one.

Not surprisingly, you saw significance in each one of the items on your bed because of the memories that were affiliated with them.

After all, those memories are what made you, you.

Unfortunately, your doctor didn't have enough expertise to understand that, which is likely one of the main reasons why you felt they were clueless throughout the entire surgery.

Clueless, because of the fact that they knew absolutely nothing about what it meant to be you in the relationship.

Clueless, because of the fact that they examined every single one of the items on your bed without any consideration for the fact that they would be stripping portions of your identity away from you after choosing to crush or tear those items apart right in front of your eyes.

But most of all, clueless, because of the fact that they failed to give you enough anesthesia to mask all of the unwanted pain.

However, the anesthesia you were given was representative of more than just your pathway to recovery.

Unfortunately, it was also representative of a pathway to some of the most unimaginable feelings of torture you would ever experience.

One small rip of a stitch in your ex's sweater that you used to sleep in while being caressed in their arms late at night for instance, and you'd shed another tear.

One small sound of metal being cracked in the promise ring they had given you after telling you they were going to marry you, and you'd let out a scream that could be heard from miles away.

However, there was some good in your doctor's intentions.

In other words, he or she knew that what was being done, had to be done.

Otherwise, you would have just woken up feeling disappointed in their efforts after realizing that they had made absolutely no progress in healing you, thereby finding yourself in the exact same unhealthy state you were in before the surgery had begun.

Yet, at the same time, you couldn't do anything about it either.

Because even you knew that what was happening was for the best, regardless of how much it hurt.