The Top Benefits of Magnesium and Symptoms You Aren't Getting Enough

Magnesium can play an important part in managing sensitivity to insulin.

25

Magnesium is a very abundant nutrient that's found in the human body as well as other living things, such as plants and animals. Your body carries a lot of it, but if it depletes and you don't have enough, there can be negative side effects or your body will have difficulty performing certain functions. Luckily, if you are deficient in magnesium, you can eat certain foods or take supplements to get your levels back up to the proper levels.

Signs You Aren't Getting Enough Magnesium

It's always important to listen to what your body is telling you. There are certain tell-tale signs that could indicate that your magnesium levels are low. For instance, if you are feeling lethargic or nauseated, it could mean your levels are low. A magnesium deficiency can also affect your muscle function and your brain function. Magnesium also works to regulate your blood pressure, meaning not having enough could lead to heart disease down the road.

However, it's not always clear that a magnesium issue is what's causing your symptoms. You can take an online magnesium deficiency test to help you identify if that's the culprit. You can enter in your symptoms, and the test will assign you a score that will tell you how likely your issues can be related to low magnesium levels. After that, you can take the appropriate action.

Here are tome of the top benefits of magnesium:

Improved Biochemical Body Functions

Everything your body does involves magnesium in some way. It helps with the movement and contraction of your muscles. It helps convert food to energy, and converts amino acids into proteins. It even works to facilitate the signals that run from your brain to your body through the nervous system. If you do not have enough magnesium in the body, your ability to perform these functions will be inhibited. Your muscles won't operate to their potential, leading to feelings of weakness and possibly cramping.

Improved Insulin Function

For those with type-2 diabetes, magnesium can play an important part in managing sensitivity to insulin. For those who may be at risk of type-2 diabetes, magnesium can help prevent it. It interacts with insulin to be more active with the sugar in your blood and absorbs it into your cells.

Migraines

Headaches and migraines can be debilitating for some people over periods of several hours or even days. There are many possible treatments that have varying levels of effectiveness. Magnesium may be one of the best. Some studies suggest that ingesting 600 mgs of magnesium can prevent headaches or treat them. In terms of food, magnesium is found in high levels in nuts, greens, and seeds. If you are susceptible to headaches then you can keep supplements with you at all times in case you get a sudden headache.

Regular Bowel Function

Magnesium plays an important role when it comes to bowel function. It has properties that will help speed up bowel productions and keep you regular. This is because magnesium can help muscles relax, which includes the muscles in your intestinal wall. This allows food to move through more easily. Magnesium can also bring water into the intestinal tract, which makes your feces softer and easier to pass.

Bone Strength and Health

Magnesium makes a huge difference with bone health and strength. Along with vitamin D, it can help prevent osteopenia and osteoporosis, and help treat the symptoms of either one. Magnesium is a component of your bones, and the likelihood of suffering from a bone fracture can be correlated to the amount of magnesium that you have in your body. This is especially true for men, but it still has a positive influence on bone fractures for women as well.

Exercise Performance

Exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, and you want to make sure that you are getting the most out of every workout. When you exercise, your body can build up a substance called lactate, which will cause you to tire out. Magnesium can help remove lactate from your bloodstream to prevent you from running out of steam too early. If it takes you longer to tire out, then you can improve your athletic performance and get more benefits out of your exercising. Taking just 250 mgs on a daily basis will help give you the boost you need.

Depression

Magnesium can help to improve brain functions, including mood and concentration. Low levels of magnesium have been connected to an increased risk of depression. Some theories have posited that the low levels of magnesium found in processed foods could be partly to blame for why depression and other mood disorders are so prevalent in modern society. Supplementing your diet with 450 mg can help you prevent depression and keep your moods on an even level.

Sleep

Magnesium can help with your sleep due to the effect it has on the muscles. Cramping and twitching of muscles are common culprits for people who have trouble getting a good night's sleep. Even if they don't fully wake up or remember it, these issues can disrupt sleep cycles and lead to feeling tired and unrested in the morning. Cramping is often associated with an imbalance of certain minerals in the body, including magnesium. Having enough magnesium will help relax the muscles and prevent cramping. Not only that, but with its effects on mood, magnesium can relax your anxiety and help you fall asleep faster.

Magnesium is one of the most important minerals in the human body. Make sure to take a test to determine if you are getting enough. You can increase your magnesium levels by taking supplements or by eating a diet full of seeds, nuts, and greens.