5 Benefits Of A Healthy Debate

5 Benefits Of A Healthy Debate

Why tactful arguing can actually be a good thing.

4538
5 Benefits Of A Healthy Debate

While we tend to react quickly whenever our views are challenged, this can actually be a good thing. In many ways, having differences is a healthy part of relationships because it helps boost our individuality. Whenever you project an idea, it is likely that people will disagree and criticize you. Some may even go as far as to try to change your beliefs into what they think is best. However, if you debate often, you will develop the skills you need to be able to counter their critique. By learning to constructively put together logical connections and statistical evidence, you will learn to come up with stronger premises that will enhance your claims. This will enable you to outshine your opponent in any debate. Although you may not always win, you will get better at arguing. Keep in mind that it is always good to have friends who don’t share the same views as you, because it makes debating more interesting. Here are some reasons why arguing will actually make you a better person.

1. Makes you think on your feet

By constantly debating, you are being placed in the spotlight, and as a result, are forced to think fast. By that being said, when you argue back and forth, using factual evidence and perform everything under a specific time frame. By being able to collect your thoughts faster, you will achieve the winning end during the next debate with your friends or possibly loved one. Remember, effective debating is about getting better at proving your point, not about sabotaging their views. Therefore, you must learn to keep your cool, even if they initiate insults, or harsh comments about your perspective.

2. Allows you to better understand yourself and your views

When you argue/debate with people who share different ideas, you learn more not only about their perspective, but more about yourself as well. In the long run, you will become in sync with your likes/dislikes and thus, better understand yourself.

3. You become more of an individual

Piggybacking off my second point, once you are fully aware of your views and perspective, you will become more individualized i.e someone who is distinct, single and has his/her own discrete way of living. As draining as arguing can be, because you may feel as though you constantly have to defend yourself and your ideas, view it in a more positive light. See it as a mental exercise rather than a burden. However, you may want to remember a few things

A. Not everyone is capable of conducting a successful debate: For example, some people, during a debate, may begin to attack you, insult you, or disrespect your beliefs. This is a sign that they are losing, and see you as a threat. This may cause them to react aggressively or say condescending things about your point of view. During this situation, you may choose to walk away if you feel as though the overall result of the debate is counterproductive.

B. We all have different ways and styles of arguing/debating. Some of us are direct and straightforward, while others can be extremely contradictory and vague. That is why it is important to be an avid listener and watch out for possible flaws in their speech that may be used against them.

C. Do not explode if you are not able to keep up with the debate. Again, view this as an intellectual sport, and a competition for yourself to improve. Give every debate your best shot, and you will feel better about yourself afterwards. Sometimes learning something new is more valuable than winning.

4. It makes you more competitive

Whenever your opinion is challenged, you may feel a pit of fire burning through your chest. You have the sudden will to respond and shun the other person--especially if what they say sounds ignorant. This is a great response because whether you like what the other person is saying or not, you will be motivated to speak your mind. You will be motivated to work hard, and construct a brilliant argument that will crush their ability to speak again. This will boost your confidence, verbal expression skills, and fuel your ambition towards winning the argument.

5. It sharpens your critical thinking skills

Arguing makes you think critically, analyze, and create logical explanations as to why your reasoning is valid. Using sophisticated language will not make for a better argument. It is instead the way you manipulate that language in your favor that will result in you completing a successful argument. Thus, the more you practice efficient debating, the more you improve your critical thinking skills, and the better you will become at crossing your point.

Recognizably, we all have that one person in our friends'/family circle, who just loves to argue on and on about their point of view. These people often project their opinions fearlessly without considering those who may challenge their perspectives. However, this article shows the many ways in which arguing back can be beneficial for the both of you. Arguing is about listening, learning, verbal/mental techniques, logic, and should be a fun moment of heat in the spotlight. It is not mocking views that don't appeal to you--that isn't the proper way to do it. One last tip to remember about arguing is that it is always best to research a topic before debating about it, especially if it is related to politics, religion, and/or social controversy.