The Things I Never Said To My Younger Brother

Listen to me, for once.

212
unsplash.com

I know you don't like when I get mushy, but as we're growing older and our lives are slowly becoming our own, there are some things that I never said, and things I want you to remember.

You were my first best friend. I can't remember the early years since we are relatively close in age, but from stories I've heard, we were always together. Mom and Dad even dressed us pretty similarly. Remember when everyone that saw us in public thought we were twins? It was annoying but also close to the truth. We weren't, but we could have been.

I always took care of you. I talked for you, and I always made sure you were okay. It was my unassigned job. For the short time that I was taller than you and wiser, it was a role that I took on with gusto. Now that you tower over me, and we aren't together so much anymore, I don't have to take care of you or guide you. However, there are some things that you need to know.

No matter where we end up in this life, you can always call me and tell me about anything that's on your mind. I like when you decide to have feelings and open up to me, however rare that occurrence may be. You don't like to show it, but you have a big heart, and you have an attitude about life that I have always envied.

You never let anything stand in the way of what you wanted. In certain instances, it wasn't always a good thing, but if you hold onto that attitude, you can accomplish anything. You are never scared of anyone, and you don't let anyone push you around. You are a strong person and coming from someone who wishes I could be, you are a role model for me in that way.

Don't ever feel like you have to follow the crowd. As they say, "You'll never be a trendsetter if you follow trends." You are special enough that you stand out, all on your own. Do whatever you truly want to do in your life, no matter what anyone else thinks about it. Put your smarts to good use, use your open-mindedness for your own gain, and even if you are the only one in the room who thinks something, don't be swayed. You never have, I just like to reiterate.

I know in this generation, it's considered "wussy" or "unmanly" to show emotion. It's not. Emotions are what make us human, and they make us interesting. Save the robots for the future. Be passionate about what you love, be nerdy over Star Wars and Supernatural, and tell the people who are important to you that they are.

Along that same thought, although it is admirable to show your strength, it also the sign of a true man to show discretion and humility. Not every different opinion requires a fight, and you don't always need to verbalize that you're the better person. Your actions will show that for themselves.

No matter what you do or how you present yourself, there will always be "haters", or people who will try to make you out to be the worst person ever. Act in such a way that they look like liars.

I am proud of the young man that you have become, and I also cannot wait until you reach your full potential. It is easier to look at all in your life that isn't right, or how you would want, but you are very blessed. You have a family that loves you dearly, and you're on the right track to having a stable career, and a way to sustain yourself. As so many are struggling, remember that it could be a lot worse, and to some, you look like a guy on top of the world. Stay on top, and never stop climbing.

Now that the life lessons are out of the way, I want to thank you. I want to thank you for always being in my back pocket, so to speak, someone I know I can always turn to. Someone who always knew how to make me feel better, in the littlest of ways.
Like when I was sick and you made a video of you lip-syncing "Like a Stone" by Audioslave in a funny way.

Or when we were younger and one of us needed to talk, we stopped whatever we were doing and climbed a tree in our neighbor's yard to vent. We were each other's rock, and you're still one of mine.

We had our fights growing up but I know when it was important, you had my back. Not only are we siblings, but we're also friends, and our friendship is one that I will always cherish. We may not be little kids holding hands anymore, but I will always have mine open to lift you up. I will defend you until I can no longer speak, and I will love you with my whole heart until even longer. No matter how many friends we lose or gain in our lives, I will never forget my first one.

We always sat next to each other in the car on road trips, in the seats on the plane, and waiting for the bus to school. No matter what happens or how far apart we are, I will always be next to you. I will always be cheering you on. I know you won't let me down.

Thank you for the memories, for the support, and for being a pretty awesome brother. You're one of a kind.