The Thief

The Thief

A Short Story Series
62

Before Olivia could say more, Chris pulled her to him and held her. While normally she would have pulled back, something in her was telling her not to. Besides, if she died tonight, it would be good to have at least had one person on her side before she went.

She placed her hands on his chest and stared up at him as she felt his heartbeat. He tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear and gently caressed her face. Olivia smiled at him softly. Chris brought his lips to just in front of hers so that they were barely an inch apart. He paused and met her eyes, asking for permission. She leaned forward and tentatively touched her lips to his. She pulled back feeling a little flustered, but Chris's grip tightened on her waist, pulling her closer. Olivia opened her mouth to speak but Chris captured her lips before she could speak.

His lips were soft and warm as they moved against hers. Her hands slid around his neck as he deepened the kiss. The kiss was like nothing she'd ever experienced with him before. When she had been with him before, it had been like he was indifferent. This time, there was a need underneath that she hadn't noticed before. Chris ended the kiss and met her eyes with a fiery gaze. He let out a shaky breath and then took a step back.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" Olivia asked puzzled.

"For stopping. But if I didn't we were going to end up in your bedroom."

Olivia smirked at him.

"That long, huh?" Olivia teased.

Chris stared at her in disbelief and then let out a laugh.

"You're unbelievable!" Chris chuckled.

"Anyways, it's good that you stopped. I was trying to tell you something."

"You have my attention."

"I'm going to meet a potential client tonight. Easily spooked, so no backup. Just wanted to give someone the heads up just in case I wasn't back by the morning."

Chris raised his eyebrows.

"Meeting a client alone is dangerous, Liv."

Olivia met his eyes in a steadily.

"I know but we could always use more clients. If I can score one, I will."

"Does Luka know about this client?"

Olivia squirmed internally. She was already lying to Chris by saying that Mark was a potential client. He was the only one she trusted enough to even tell that to. What if he had been in on Mark's fake death though? Luka had obviously lied, so she couldn't tell him. Olivia's thoughts started to meld together into one giant worry. If Luka found out, would he even ask questions or would he just kill her?

"I'll take that as a no then." Chris said flatly.

"I didn't really get a chance to mention it on the phone with him earlier. He was being kind of strange, even for Luka."

"What do you mean?"

"He asked me to call him Luka. To his face. He said that he and I were friends."

Chris shrugged.

"You've been with the guild a long time. Chances are that he does see you as a friend."

"And him asking me to call him 'Luka' instead of 'boss' doesn't tweak you out?"

"I always called him Luka."

"You've always been much higher on the totem pole than me. You and Mitch get away with a lot more."

"If it worries you that much I'll look into it. It's probably nothing, like I said."

"Thank you. Just don't get yourself in any trouble on my account."

"I won't and I won't tell Luka about the potential client as long as you tell him after your meet up."

"I will. Thank you again Chris."

Chris gave Olivia a quick peck on the cheek.

"Stay safe tonight. Call me if you need backup."

"Will do."

She smiled at him as he grabbed the journal and headed out. She watched as his car pulled away from her building and drove off down the road. Now that she at least knew someone would know if she was missing, she was less nervous about this meeting. Olivia steeled her inner emotions and locked up her apartment. It was time to meet Mark.