The 11 Stages Of Battling Writer's Block, As Told By Michael Scott

When you feel like you're the only one stuck, Michael Scott is right there with you.
158

Being a writer means it's impossible to stay away from writer's block. It's all a part of the writing journey, and fortunately, you're not alone since everyone goes through it. Michael Scott from "The Office" is no exception to the procrastination part of the writer's block cycle, so here are the 11 stages of having writer's block as told by the one and only Michael Scott.

1. Avoiding writing as long as possible will make it go away.

As long as I'm not focusing on it, it doesn't exist. I can start in a few more hours. I know I'll have something by then. Tapping on a mug does sound a lot better than trying to come up with ideas anyway.

2. Maybe staring at the computer screen will inspire me.

Yeah, I should definitely write my piece on computer screens. Someone out there in the world will love it, so it wouldn't hurt to try.

3. Writing a list of ideas never hurt. It could help.

Not all hope is lost because brainstorming could get me somewhere, at least hopefully. Part of me thinks I'll think of something, but a bigger part of me knows this is going nowhere.

4. Wait, I actually have an idea.

So this wasn't a lost cause! I can actually stick with an idea and run with it! Looks like I've finally got my piece ready to go.

5. Scratch that; I'm using a different topic.

Well, now that I have an idea, a million more are suddenly appearing. I'll just change my piece for the fifth time. No harm!

6. I can't look at the clock without screaming.

I shouldn't have been tapping on a mug all day because I'm almost out of time. I have to literally look away from the clock so I forget how little time I have. I'm losing my train of thought, and this topic wasn't anywhere as promising as I thought it would be originally.

7. I don't know what I'm writing, but I'm writing something.

I'm trying, I promise. But this is a terrible topic, the clock's almost about to hit deadline time, and I seriously have no idea how to properly phrase my thoughts.

8. This is the worst thing I've ever written —

I've never read anything worse in my life. That's it.

9. But I'll use it anyway.

Okay, so it's not as bad as I thought it was. But it's for sure not the best thing in the world. Either way, I'm not going through this whole writer's block thing again, so this is the final work!

10. I can't believe I'm this creative.

I beat writer's block once again. I'm actually that good. I deserve an award or something.

11. Oh look, another writing assignment. I can feel the writer's block already.

Again? Looks like it's time to pop out the mug and start tapping again because I know I'm out of ideas already.