9 New Artists You Should Be Listening To

95.5 brought such color to the radio world by giving new bands a chance to be heard and here are a few more.

341

Ever since the conversion of WBRU to a Christian format, it’s been a little hard to find a station which plays music from up-and-coming musicians. 95.5 brought such color to the radio world by giving new bands a chance to be heard. A lot of them might even owe their success to WBRU for having their songs played. And it just really sucks that 95.5 went radio silent. So, if you’re like me and are still looking for new artists to listen to, I present to you my list of awesome musicians you may not have heard of.

1. Kongos

The most popular song this band has recorded would have to be “Come With Me Now” which was not only featured on 95.5 but also 92.3. This band, made up of four brothers, is considered a rock band of South African influence. Every single one of their songs features the expert playing of an accordion with very heavy use of the kick-drum, adding to their kwaito genre. In recent years, the Kongos have become my favorite band, so I definitely highly recommend for those of you looking for a very different type of music.

2. Transviolet

If you’re looking for a group with a female lead who’s voice sounds haunting and alluring, Transviolet is for you. Though their sound seems heavily influenced by the pop-genre, they are mostly considered indie. By far, the two most popular songs this group has would be “Girl’s Your Age” and “New Bohemia” which was featured in the fifty-seventh album of “Now That’s What I Call Music.” Definitely an under-appreciated group you should consider giving a listen to.

3. Gabrielle Aplin

This singer-songwriter actually came to write her own music after her huge success on YouTube when she began uploading covers of popular songs. Now, after a few EPs, Aplin has two hugely successful albums—“English Rain” and “Light Up The Dark.” “The Power of Love,” featured on her first album listed above, reached number one in December of 2012 on UK Singles Chart. She’s a regular success story of a girl coming from small beginnings.

4. Kita Alexander

Another great vocalist is Australian musician, Kita Alexander. Her first single, “My Own Way”, was played on Australian’s radio station "Triple J" and also placed ninety-five on Australia’s singles music charts.

5. Woodkid

Woodkid, better known by Yoann Lemoine, actually started out making music videos for other famous musicians like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lana Del Ray, and others. Back in 2011 though, he released his first song ever entitled “Iron EP” and then in 2013, he released an album called “The Golden Age.” Considered a noefolk artist, Lemoine includes a slew of other instruments in his songs, almost sounding like an orchestra. If you’ve ever watched Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why,” Lemoine’s song “Run Boy Run” was featured in the second episode, “Tape 1, Side B.”

6. Qveen Herby

Also known as Amy Heidemann or Amy Noonan of the former cover group “Karmin,” Qveen Herby has become quite popular on YouTube with her impressive raps. Her most popular song as her alter ego is “Busta Rhyme” which many people became skeptical over, claiming she couldn’t really rap that fast. She then posted a live video of her rapping over a karaoke version of her song—it’s only fifty-seven seconds, but she definitely proved the haters wrong. If you’re looking for a new female rapper, definitely check out the Qveen’s YouTube channel.

7. Kaleo

If you listened to 95.5 on the reg, you have most certainly heard of this band. “Way Down We Go” was probably the song most featured on the radio station and this one single was sold 500,000 times in the United States and also became number one on the “Billboard Alternative Chart” back in August of 2016. Their songs have also been featured on many different television shows including “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Empire,” and “Orange is the New Black,” among others. Considered a blues/rock band born in Iceland, Kaleo actually has a very AC/DC sound for those of you looking for a really great rock band.

8. The Pierces

If you’ve ever watched the hit Freeform television series “Pretty Little Liars,” you’ve already listened to one of The Pierces most popular songs used in the show’s opening: “Secret.” Considered psychedelic rock/pop/folk or folk rock, The Pierces without a doubt have a very eerie, mysterious vibe to their music. Despite the band’s success, they announced on their Facebook page that they would be taking a break so the two sisters who make up The Pierces—Allison and Catherine Pierce—could pursue their own solo careers. However, their newest album “Creation” is available to curb their fans’ hunger for more of The Pierces.

9. Lord Huron

Featured as the emotional song while Clay and Hannah danced together in “13 Reasons Why”, Lord Huron’s song “The Night We Met” blew up by hitting charts internationally in the United States, France, Sweden, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Canada. This indie folk band might only have two albums but they are certainly a beautiful band to listen to.