The Series That Shaped A Generation

The Series That Shaped A Generation

"Don't let the Muggles get you down."

11
The Series That Shaped A Generation
Business Insider

It''s hard to ignore the impact a certain wizard has had on our society. Seven books, eight movies and one theme park later, Harry Potter is a household name. And while some are just picking up the book for the first time, Harry Potter will forever and always belong to our generation.

The first book, "The Sorcerer's Stone," was published in 1997 (making me a bit too young to read it since I was born in 1996). But when the first movie was released in 2001, you can bet my infatuation with the series began. Not too long after I picked up the books, and my love for The Boy Who Lived only grew stronger. You could strike up a conversation with almost anyone about this series.

Friendships were made and families bonded through conversations about the wizard's adventures. The series united many, no matter who you were you could find a home at Hogwarts.

When it comes down to it, our generation grew up with Harry and his friends. As our reading abilities improved, the books being released grew thicker. As we moved from grade to grade, so did Harry, and the books became more mature.

Through his adventures we learned about friendship, loyalty and determination. And while we didn't have to overcome the Dark Lord, there was a bunch of other things we had in common with Harry. Just like Harry we had to overcome bullies, fights with friends, and we worried about getting a date to our school dances. Not to mention while Harry was taking his O.W.L.s we were taking our SATs.

As fans, we dressed up in Hogwarts robes for Halloween or for the midnight releases of the books and the movie premieres.

The summer of 2011 was spent logging onto Pottermore each day hoping it would be our time to find the magic quill that would unlock the virtual wizarding world. Individuals who pick up the series now will never get to experience this.

While we had to wait for the next book or the next movie, new fans now have instant gratification. Meanwhile members of our original fandom sometimes waited years for the next installment.

But the waiting only made our love and loyalty to Harry grow. Now you can finish the books and the movies in a matter of weeks. Harry Potter will be there for any and everyone who picks up the books or watch the movies, but these specific memories will only belong to us.

No one puts it better than J.K. Rowling herself when she says,"Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."

And this will ring true for generations to come. But these future generations won't share the same connection to Harry as we have.

Those who were there between the first book's release in 1997 and the last movie premiere in 2011 share an unexplained bond. Thank you to J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter for all they have taught us, and all the memories, experiences and friendships they have left us with.

Always.