The Selfie Experience

The Selfie Experience

What is to be a true selfie taker
63

Taking a photo of yourself or producing a selfie is typically frowned upon because of its narcissistic nature and self-centered stigma. I am here to advocate against these theories and encourage everyone to join the selfie taking experience.

In 2005, Myspace made its debut and declared its role as "the largest social network in the world" well into 2008. Through this, the world was introduced to the Myspace pic, which is equivalent to what we know today as a "selfie".

Not following too far behind was Facebook. Created in 2009, this new and improved Myspace and the next big step into the social media world eventually gain a majority of Myspace's traffic with its unique features and profile picture quality.

In 2010, Apple released the iPhone 4 which had a front camera allowing users full control of their selfies.

And then there was Instagram. Instagram introduced an entirely new dynamic and unique approach to social networks. It allows users to post and edit their photos to almost perfection. The photos are then rewarded by likes, comments and a great networking experience. Instagram was named the "home of the selfie" when in 2013, it had 150 million users and over 16 billion photos.

Finally, in 2013, the word "selfie" was officially added to the dictionary. It was defined as "a photograph taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media."

The selfie allows you to be in the moment and express yourself through a photo. On average, I may take about 20 selfies daily. Problem? I think not.

Selfies have become a virtual way to get in tune with our inner selves. A selfie takes practice. You are not only capturing yourself in a moment, but you are learning your different angles, how to enhance your features, all while being able to control when the camera takes the photo. Everyone has that "good side" that they show when someone is taking a picture of them. A selfie however, gives you full control so that you never miss your good side in a picture. Don't know what side is your good side? Try taking a selfie.

A selfie gives anyone a chance to throw out any photo taking insecurities and become the creator of their own masterpiece. Rather you feel photogenic or not, always remember that you are the one behind and in front of the camera. Give yourself that "WATCH OUT WORLD!" feeling and have fun with your selfies. They tell your story, they reflect your personal emotions and quite frankly, no one is in charge but you.

Think of the camera as your audience, or even your crush. You always want to look your best. However, your best is what you say your best is and not what other choose to capture. That is the true power of a selfie. It encourages one to unlock their inner and outer beauty and capture all in one picture it at their own will. Join the selfie experience. Have fun with it, find your perfect angles and lighting and snap away!