The Rise of Rugby in the USA

The Rise of Rugby in the USA

Rise of Rugby

1094
The Rise of Rugby in the USA

Rugby has been played in the United States of America since the 19th century, but it wasn't until the past decade that the sport really started to gain popularity. In fact, rugby is now one of the fastest-growing sports in the country, with participation rates increasing by nearly 20 percent each year.

There are several factors that have contributed to rugby's recent growth in the States. Firstly, the sport has become more visible thanks to the rise of social media and the proliferation of highlight videos online. This has helped introduce the sport to a wider audience and given people a greater understanding of what it entails.

Secondly, the establishment of professional leagues like Major League Rugby has also played a major role in boosting rugby's profile. These leagues provide a platform for the sport's top players to compete and give fans something to aspire to.

Finally, the increasing popularity of rugby sevens - a shorter, faster-paced version of the sport - has also helped attract new participants and fans. Rugby sevens is now an official Olympic sport, and the USA team has enjoyed considerable success in recent years, which has helped to raise the profile of the sport even further.

Looking to the future, Major League Rugby is optimistic about the continued growth of rugby in the United States. "We're only just scratching the surface of what's possible for rugby in this country," said Major League Rugby Commissioner Dean Howes. "The potential for the sport is huge, and we're committed to doing everything we can to help it realize that potential."

With all of this positive momentum behind it, there's no doubt that rugby is on the rise in the United States. And with more people than ever before taking up the sport, it's only a matter of time before it becomes a mainstream fixture in the American sporting landscape.

The success of the MLR has been accelerated by the ability to attract well-known pros later in their career. Some of the big names include:

1. Kurt Morath

Kurt Morath is a world-renowned rugby union player who currently plays for Utah Warriors in Major League Rugby. He has also played for the New Zealand All Blacks and the Tonga national team.

2. Will Holder

Will Holder is an English rugby union player who currently plays for Old Glory DC in Major League Rugby. He has also played for the England national rugby sevens team.

3. Tim Stanfill

Tim Stanfill is an American rugby union player who currently plays for San Diego Legion in Major League Rugby. He has also played for the United States national rugby sevens team.

4. Nate Ebner

Nate Ebner is an American rugby union player who currently plays for New England Free Jacks in Major League Rugby. He is also a member of the United States national rugby team.

5. Samu Manoa

Samu Manoa is an American rugby union player who currently plays for Old Glory DC in Major League Rugby. He has also played for the United States national rugby team and the Samoa national rugby team.

We have no doubt that there a big things to come for rugby in the USA! Check out the latest rugby scores and results for more!