The Rewards Of Being Intentional

The Rewards Of Being Intentional

How a simple mindset change altered my life.

62
The Rewards Of Being Intentional
tumblr

The word “intentional” is one of layers. You see, you have the superficial layer, one of simple meaning, used for the purpose of contradicting the word “accidentally." But underneath, you also have these complexly deep layers, where “intentional” exists to convey the ideal of purpose, of living life boldly.

When I started college nearly two years ago, I was only vaguely familiar with these deeper meanings. But soon, it seemed I was encouraged to be “intentional” in all of life’s endeavors. I was told to be intentional with your major and career choice, be intentional in your relationships, be intentional in your faith. Honestly, I was overwhelmed and confused.

I have always lived my life with purpose, in the pursuit of goals. In high school, my primary goal was to gain admission into the college of my choice. Along the way, I had other secondary goals, which deeply enriched my experience. Things like making lasting friendships or participating in the school community. I achieved these goals and others in my pursuit of higher education. I knew how to set goals and achieve them. I knew how to push myself towards a purpose.

So it was a surprise to me when people kept throwing the word “intentional” around. How I could be more intentional than I already was? I worked hard and reached my goals. Despite this, I seemed to be lacking this “intention” they were speaking of. I wasn’t exactly sure what it was, but I could sense that I didn’t have it.

As school progressed, I let this idea float to the back of my mind. I was busy with classes and friends as I worked to carve a place for myself in this new setting. As my first semester came to a close the idea came up again. I still felt that I was lacking in the area of intention. I had enjoyed my classes, received good grades and built strong friendships. But I still felt rather aimless and unfulfilled. I was reaching my goals and yet was still unsatisfied. It was like I was missing something, but I had no idea what it was. As an extreme perfectionist and planner, you can bet this experience was rather frustrating.

It was then that I began to again ponder this idea of “being intentional." It was soon that I realized one simple truth that became the key to understanding the entire concept. It can be summed up like this: being intentional is not about what you are doing, but why you are doing it. See, I was living life as if it was a checklist: complete one task and move onto the next. I was giving little thought to why I was pursuing these goals. So I decided, at that very moment, to live with intention (and figure out what intention truly was along the way).

Now, 1 1/2 years later, I see the wonders of being intentional. I started by bringing intention into my daily life. I became intentional in my studies. When I took classes, I continuously asked myself if I enjoyed the topic, if it was something that I could see myself pursuing as a career. This led me to a change in major - to find something I not only excelled at, but thoroughly enjoyed. I became more intentional in my friendships, only pursuing relationships that helped me become a better version of myself. I also found intention in my faith, when I discovered that actively pursuing a relationship with God is so far superior to surface religion.

Being intentional continued to open countless doors for me. It has allowed me to see how wonderful life can be when we dive below the comfort of the surface. It has allowed me to experience a life filled with passion, surprise and endless opportunity. I encourage everyone to be intentional in all of your life’s pursuits, no matter what they may be. To question the whys of life and in the words of Ronald Reagan “to paint with only bold colors." After all, life isn't really worth living solely in the confines of the mundane.