Keeping a New Years resolution

The New Years Resolution I Actually Kept

365 days without smoking & over $1400 in savings.

27

Every year like most people I come up with a list of things I plan on doing to better myself in the new year. Lose weight, exercise more, no more soda, less ice cream, the list goes on and on.

When counting down to 2018 I decided to focus on one important goal, to quit smoking. One resolution, one healthy goal, one uphill battle.

Surprisingly I was so ready to be done that quitting was one of the easiest things I ever did. Mind over matter really was my strength this past year.

Of course, nights out drinking with friends and social smoking outings were a struggle. However, my lungs thank me for it.

I think the best part of it all is I didn't need any help, no medications to reduce cravings, no special gums, no vape or e-cigs, just quit cold turkey. (In case you live under a rock or just so happen to be my tour guide in France, no I didn't eat cold turkey, it's a figure of speech).

So here I am one day away from being smoke-free for 365 days and all I can think about is having a celebratory “one year without cigarettes" cigarette and what can I do to really better myself in 2019.

I've entertained the idea of a year of sobriety. I've contemplated becoming a vegetarian. I think about quitting my job, hopping on a train and taking a year to see the world wherever it may take me.

All I know is whatever goals you set for 2019, live up to them. If I can do it, you can surely do it. Your future self will thank you. Lose that extra weight, smoke one less cigarette a day than you normally would, whatever you need to do to honestly be able to use the New Year, New You hashtag.