The Reasons Why I Decided to Become a Teacher

Inspiration comes in the most unexpected ways.

2160

There are various reasons behind why people choose to do the things they do. Maybe they have a love for animals and decided to become a vet. They may have a strong ability and love for music and become a music major, or love health related things and decide to become some form of doctor. For me, I decided to become a teacher.

I started thinking of teaching for my future when I was quite young. My sister and our friends would act like we had a classroom and teach each other various things with our white boards and sticky notes. It wasn't until early high school that I really started to think about the reality of becoming a teacher. I loved reading and I loved being around kids, so I began to think about pursuing that as a career and that thought only solidified throughout my years of high school.

When I hit my senior year I knew for sure I wanted to become a teacher. I had had three teachers who influenced this decision the most, since they were the ones I looked up to to determine what I aimed to be like. My history teacher for American History 1 and 2 was so animated when it came to teaching and told stories of his college days and all the hilarious moments he had, while narrating the stories in history to make the subject so much more interesting. Then it was my band teacher who taught my brother, me, and now my younger sister. He showed me that if you really loved something it would show in your everyday life and that winning wasn't the point of anything. Life lesson: There's so much more to life than being first in everything, and if you put in the time and effort and are dedicated to something you love doing then that's all you need. Lastly, I had my AP English 4 teacher who showed me how to make the most out of the days in the classroom and that it's okay to get to know the people around you. It's not all about the work and the grades. I had so much fun in that class, laughing and learning a lot in the process. She also showed me that small gestures can make all the difference in someones life, like the interest she showed in my creative writing and how she always asked me for more because she truly loved reading it. She also gave each and every one of her students a word to describe them and it hangs in my dorm room today. These teachers showed me what kind of person I wanted to be when pursuing a job in teaching.

Lastly, it was my summer job that drove it home. Working as a camp counselor and having a group of kids to lead and get to know on top of planning activities to do weekly showed me that I loved doing this job. Not only was I a part of these kids lives, but they were a part of mine, and it has shown me that you are never too old to learn something new and you can be taught things from people a lot younger than you are. They bring out the kid in me and show me that it is okay and possible to have fun while doing everything in life.

These experiences and people have taught me what it is to be a good teacher and have shaped me in the person I want to be, especially when I graduate college and finally get that teaching job. I know a lot of people who think that teaching isn't the best career path because you don't make a ton of money, but let me tell you something. It isn't about the money. It's about the experience and the people's lives you touch and the effect they will have on you. It's about all the kids from various backgrounds who you have the privilege to teach and get to know. Being a teacher isn't just about handing out papers and grading tests because the kids aren't the only ones learning, they will teach you things too everyday and you will form relationships with them in a unique way. And that is what I look forward to the most.