The Real Reason You Hate Kanye West

The Real Reason You Hate Kanye West

Are you sure it's Kanye that you hate, and not yourself?

34
The Real Reason You Hate Kanye West
www.stereogum.com

Kanye West has released (depending on your definition of “released”) his seventh solo studio album, "The Life Of Pablo." And as can be expected, it’s full of arrogant rhymes, Kanye patting himself on the back and reminding everybody exactly who he is.

The whole world, or at least a large portion of it, is just sick and tired of hearing it. What doesn’t make sense to me, is the logic behind people’s hatred towards Kanye and his bravado.

Each and every day, there are people down on their luck and miserable with their lives. As good people, or at least as people who aspire to be good, we try to pick them up, tell them that everything is alright, that they’re beautiful and wonderful and great, and shower praise upon them, to almost force a resurgence of their happiness. Most people don’t give halfway, honest help. They don’t offer the fact that “Hey, things aren’t as bad as they seem, but they’re pretty bad." And why would they? That wouldn’t be the best thing to hear at that point anyways.

We weep for the woeful, because we wish they could be happier. We wish that they could believe in themselves enough for them to make it to tomorrow. We loathe those who made them sad in the first place. We then turn around and castigate the person who has taken those tools that we’d otherwise provide them with, and has used them to be happy. Why?

I believe it comes from personal insecurity. Most of the time, humans don’t like being reminded that they aren’t great. We teach our children to succeed in silence, but for no other reason than because they might one day surpass us, and that doesn’t make us feel good inside. It reminds us of the harsh truth, that most of us will never be the best at what we do, or even truly fulfill our insatiable human desires. It reminds us how difficult it is to achieve the feat that is greatness.

This is why we should consider just letting people be great. If we are all so aware of our limitations and understand how hard it is to really “make it,” then it's plain to see that if someone does achieve the goals they’ve set in front of themselves, they’ve got reason to celebrate. Why must we try to bring down others with us? Why not just enjoy seeing something so rare? Can't we just be happy for people who aren't us?

Kanye West has achieved things that few others ever have, and for that matter, ever will. For that, he should be allowed to celebrate. He should be allowed to remind you that, yes, he is better, more talented and more influential than most things you’ve ever seen in your lifetime, because he’s earned that right. He has, through all the criticism, loss and self-inflicted wounds like telling the world his take on George Bush, managed to get back up, dust himself off and go right back to giving you his heart and soul, regardless of how you received him the last time he was brave enough to put himself out there, for the world to judge.

This man has always given you every word that crosses his mind, whether you like it or not, and he will bear the weight of your retorts, because it comes with the territory of being such a polarizing figure. I’ll get off my Yeezus soapbox right after I ask of you, that next time you rear back, to pelt your QWERTY keyboard with something from your anti-Kanye bag filled with all your “The right way to do things” rhetoric, and be completely honest with yourself.

It all comes down to my best friend's mom, when I think this all out. She's recently taken up the challenge of training to run in a marathon. As she progresses in her training, and reaches certain points in her training, she likes to boast a bit with a T-shirt or a sticker on the back of her Jeep. She and I have a great relationship (I think), so I always want to mess with her about these stickers, or ask her why she has them on there. Before I make that mistake, I always picture her clapping back with something like "You run as far as I did and then tell me you don't want to put a sticker on your car!" And she'd be right! Running a marathon is hard. Running a half marathon is pretty hard, too. Heck, I know too many people who couldn't run a whole mile without having to stop in the middle to catch their breath. She's working hard, so let her brag as she pleases, I tell myself.

Kanye is also working hard and being great, no matter how hard people try to hold him down.

Wouldn’t you like to be allowed to say a couple things about what you have accomplished, and the place that you have reached, after you’ve put everything you have into getting there?