The Real Meaning Of Labor Day

The Real Meaning Of Labor Day

5
The Real Meaning Of Labor Day

The first Monday in September is always one of the most memorable days in my college town; it’s Labor Day. For some reason this is the day that you’re still telling stories about come December. Everyone has just finished sorority recruitment and fraternity recruitment is about to kick off. It's the day that everyone comes together to one small pool and celebrates no school for the day. For some reason, this holiday, has become the most popular holiday. But if someone were to go to that pool and ask these kids why they have this day off, would they know? I know I really didn’t, so I did some research.

Labor Day is celebrated to honor the American labor movement and the workers that have made the strength, prosperity and well-being for this country. It was first celebrated in New York City after the 1886 Haymarket Massacre in Chicago. U.S. President Grover Cleveland established to support the holiday in September of 1887. After a number of workers deaths caused by the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, a nationwide railroad strike, the U.S. Congress voted to approve the legislation and made Labor Day a national holiday. Six days later, President Cleveland signed it into law.

So yes, it is meant for a time of fun and celebration, but while you enjoy that beverage next to the pool, don’t forget why we have this special day off once a year.