To The Quiet Girl On Camous

To The Quiet, New Girl On Campus

You're making a big step in your life, but everything is going to be okay.

322
To The Quiet, New Girl On Campus
Instagram

You are walking onto a new campus, into new classrooms, and sitting beside new people. Maybe you were the big shot in your high school or most everyone knew your name at the community college, but now you feel lost in a sea of unfamiliar faces. I've been there. It is a scary feeling, but trust me it will pass!

1. I see you. 

Although you may not know anyone yet, you will meet people. Maybe you think you're just another face in the crowd. You're not. You matter. You will find your place. I see that you feel alone, out of place, and overwhelmed. Take a deep breath, and take everything one step at a time.

2. Get involved! 

I know. I know you are scared. I know you're confused. I know you think getting involved will be hard and that it is too hard to make a decision of which of the organizations to join. Try out a few. Join a freshmen or transfer group. The first couple of weeks of school include several opportunities to find out about about these organizations. You never know, you may find your best friend at one of these events!

3. It's okay to miss your home. 

During my first semester of freshman year, I can't tell you how many times I called my mom just because I missed her. Tbh, I still do! You are beginning a new chapter in a new place. You will get into your routine of classes, studying, and events, and it will get easier.

4. Speak to the girl/guy next to you in class. 

Sometimes it is hard to be the first person to speak, but you have just got to do it. You'll be glad you did. It helps having someone in class you can talk to and cut glances at when the professor says something that throws you for a loop.

5. Plan some self-care. 

A bubble bath, a short walk, painting your nails, or reading a magazine can do wonders for a stressed out brain. No matter how much you have to study, you need to take a break and get some air. Your mind will thank you. Your mental health is just as important, if not more, as your grades.

6. Everything will be okay.

Days will come when you start to question everything -your major, roommates, outfit choice, class schedule, university choice, etc. Your schedule is packed and you barely have time to eat and sleep. You'll make it through your class. Everything will be okay. For the moment, it is okay not to be okay. This challenge will come and go just like the waves of the ocean.

College years come and go so quickly; its best to make the most of them while you can. You have an incredible opportunity to make friends, memories, and find out who you are. It may not seem possible to ever overcome the butterflies fluttering in your stomach, but you will. You can overcome anything that you face, even your fears about college. This foreign territory you've found yourself in won't always be so foreign. Before you know it, you'll be calling this new place home.