The Problems With Current Politics

The Problems With Current Politics

Many people I have met become victim to party polarization, which results to their ideologies corresponding closely with the parties (Democratic or Republican) or ideologies (Liberal or Conservative) in which they associate with.

4
The Problems With Current Politics
The Source

Politics nowadays are polluting the media. You cannot go one hour listening to the radio or watching TV without seeing a political ad or personal attack. After taking an AP Government class in high school and after noticing trends in politics, I have developed some problems with politics and the media's portrayal of politics. I am a moderate so I do not have any sides to pick for the record.

One problem I have with today's politics is how political parties are becoming more and more polarized—as in more opposite/extreme. Many people I have met become victim to party polarization, which results in their ideologies corresponding closely with the parties (Democratic or Republican) or ideologies (Liberal or Conservative) with which they associate. As a person who is friends and a family member of both extreme conservatives and liberals, it becomes evident how prevalent party polarization is.

The problem with party polarization is that it increases gridlock in Congress, which is why the legislature fails to cooperate and pass bills. In Congress, it becomes less of "how can we better the U.S.?" and becomes more of "how can we undo the other party's legislation?" or "I'm going to vote for this bill because it's what my party wants (even if it's not what I want)."

Another problem that I have with politics is that too much of presidential campaigns are focused on attacking the other candidate's flaws. People are also clothespin voting, which means that people are voting for the candidate who is the least repulsive, which is understandable with the current candidates. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are both guilty of excessive political mud slinging. Too little time is spent explaining the platform/plans and too much time/publicity is spent explaining why Hillary is "crooked" or how Donald has weird hair. Had more time be spent explaining plans and platforms, then more people would be likely to vote because they would have a better understanding on what candidate they agree with the most.

One final problem I have with politics is how candidates, and presidents in general, have grandiose plans that never get attempted/carried out. Although optimism is great and all, the claims that both Hillary and Trump alike are making are not all going to come true. It's like in middle school how everyone voted for the kid who claimed "free lunches," "no homework" and even "a hot tub." It's the same way with candidates, they promise glimmering changes but in reality only few of those promises become reality.

Politics are a messy arena and I have yet to be impressed with any political candidate.