The Prestige-A Movie Everyone Should Watch This Summer

movie Review: 'The Prestige'

A perplexing puzzle that keeps you on your toes until the very last second.

54

After watching The Prestige, I have to say I am truly in awe and shock. With endless plot twists that lasted till the very last minute of the movie to minute-to-minute deception, this movie kept you on your toes from beginning to end. This is by no means a movie that you can sit down and watch while doing other things. It requires an immense amount of concentration because something new happens every five seconds. I am being completely honest when I say that my friend and I had to pause the movie at least five times just to make sure we were understanding everything. The Prestige is a rollercoaster of a movie, and one that I highly recommend. Even if thrillers aren't your typical genre that you like watching, make an exception for this one. Personally, my taste in movies vary but I would definitely not gravitate towards thrillers on a daily basis, but I am so glad I watched this one because it left me thinking about it for days afterwards.

Christopher Nolan, the director, is a master of cinematic deception and misdirection. Originally based on the novel The Prestige by Christopher Priest, the movie is a significant adaptation with completely different scenes and even a changed ending. While it is easy to hide certain facts in a book, it is much more difficult to carry that level of deception out in a movie while still providing all the scenes necessary for the audience to follow along. Nolan accomplishes this beautifully and keeps the audience second-guessing the ending every five seconds.

Set in London in the late 1800s, The Prestige is a scientific fiction and thriller about two magicians, Alfred Borden and Robert Angier, who worked together until unfortunately one of their tricks goes awry and ends up killing Angier's wife. This starts a feud between Angier and Borden, that causes them to become obsessed with outperforming the other, no matter who or what is sacrificed along the way. It has countless red herrings and the illusion that Nolan is able to portray is absolutely fascinating.

The summer is a perfect time to relax and watch a new movie, and I highly recommend The Prestige as your next movie. The plot is carried out spectacularly and keeps you engaged until the very last second. A movie I'd definitely watch again and again, probably finding more clues each time I watch it!