The Pressures Of Sorority Formals

The Pressures Of Sorority Formals

112

At a school like ours with a thriving Greek life, sorority and fraternity formals are, as I quote Ron Burgundy, “Kind of a big deal.”  Both are a blast, but they do differ.  Fraternity formals normally consist of cooler-crafting and beer bongs for a weekend getaway in a cool city.  Sorority formals, on the other hand, only last one night and take place at one of Columbia’s popular downtown bars.  And what really makes a sorority formal distinct is the chaos and stress that comes prior to it.

It seems silly that a sorority formal could bring such a heavy wave of pressure and stress, but it is the cold truth.  As formal season comes around, girls are thinking, Who will I bring?What will I wear? Do I need a spray tan?”  Chapters’ Facebook group posts consist of, “So…who has a date for me because I’m single AF” and, “This is my cute friend Brian, he’s a great guy if any of you need a date! He loves our house and wants to come to formal :).”  Not to mention the Excel spreadsheet sign-up of the chapter members and her date’s name.  Frequently you will find dates’ names as “myself ooo kill em” or “…..” or “Harry Styles.”  Safe to say, the struggle is real.

Once you actually reach the milestone of finding a date and choosing a dress (congrats), the stress still continues.  The day of formal is hectic for all – getting ready takes about two hours, then 20 minutes of picture-taking, then five minutes of double checking yourself in the mirror.  Eventually, you and your group of friends are finally ready to head out and meet up with your dates.  Phew, a seldom sigh of relief.

Hopefully as the night continues, all the pressure and anxiety pays off.  You and your date have a great time – you shout your sorority chants on the bus ride and then dance all night at the venue of the formal.  The next morning, you wake up and laugh with your friends about the ridiculous stories of the night before.  It was a successful formal.

These are the instances that can make us sorority girls fall into our diva clichés, but hey, sometimes we can’t help ourselves.  Formals are a big deal, a great time, and well worth its flaws.  ‘Tis now the season of formals…dun dun dun.  Good luck girls!