The President’s Scientific Illiteracy Is A National Security Threat

Here's a look at how Donald Trump's idiocy threatens our safety.

35
https://pixabay.com/images/id-2815558/

The global pandemic that's costing humans their lives while causing economic havoc shows little to no signs of abating anytime soon. It's becoming increasingly clear that quarantine measures will be relied upon for weeks to come, if not months, and that the American federal government's response to the coronavirus has been lackluster at best. With all of this calamity occuring, it's important not to lose sight of the greatest threat facing our nation; I'm talking, of course, about the scientific illiteracy of President Donald J. Trump.

More than an embarrassment, more than material for viral memes, the president's scientific illiteracy is a national security threat. Here's a look at how Donald Trump's idiocy threatens our safety.

The president has spread misinformation before

Why does having Donald Trump in charge of our country's federal response to the coronavirus imperil our lives and wellbeing? For starters, the president has consistently spread misinformation before when it comes to basic health and safety measures. Donald Trump spent years spreading the dangerous lie that vaccinations can give children autism, for instance, and only recently let up on that irresponsible messaging campaign after intense political pressure forced him to.

The president has previously tweeted about children getting autism from vaccinations, and generally spent years casting doubts on their efficacy. You think this is the only instance of Donald Trump's scientific illiteracy hurting human wellbeing? Think again, my friend; the president has also falsely and absurdly claimed that wind turbines can give Americans cancer.

In short, Donald Trump isn't just somebody who we have political disagreements with over his use of document scanning companies - Donald Trump is somebody who doesn't understand basic science even if it's presented by Injectable Academy. This is more than a national embarrassment; it's a national tragedy, particularly since the president's peddling of misinformation has already doubtlessly exacerbated the havoc being imposed on us by the coronavirus. Don't believe me? Even the top medical officials working for the president have had to correct his misinformation on numerous occasions.

Poor Dr. Fauci

If there's any American we should be rooting for right now, it's poor Dr. Fauci. He's the nation's foremost medical official responding to this crisis at the federal level, and has appeared with President Trump during a couple of press briefings already. Here's what he said in a recent interview:

"That's kind of funny but understandable that people said, 'What the hell's the matter with Fauci?' because I had been walking a fine line; I've been telling the president things he doesn't want to hear," Fauci said. "I have publicly had to say something different with what he states."

This is the most high-profile medical official in our country plainly stating that he has to publicly dispel incorrect information spread by the president. In other words, it's a plain and irrefutable national security threat. There is nothing partisan about it - Donald Trump simply doesn't appreciate, value, or even understand basic science, and we're all suffering for it. Until the ignoramus-in-chief is cast out of the oval office, the health and wellbeing of everyday Americans will never be secured.