The Power Of Having A Positive Influence

Who knew I'd still be in touch with my kindergarten teacher?!

27

Growing up as the daughter of an elementary school teacher was stressful. I always felt the need to be the “perfect” student, one who was in the most advanced reading group, scored highest on class assignments, and was recognized at school assemblies each year. The pressure I put on myself throughout my childhood to meet my own expectations destructed my self-confidence, and to this day, I struggle with anxiety about everything “school”. My mom is a kindergarten teacher.

When I entered kindergarten, she was actually one of the teachers at my school, which meant that I had a comfort no other student had. Two years later, she transferred to a different elementary school in town and placed me at a private school for second and third grade. After that, the private school was facing budgetary shortcomings and the rumor was that it was going to close soon. Instead of risking having to pull me out of that school in the middle of the year, my parents chose to put me back in public school. Despite having been yanked from school twice at a vulnerable stage of my life, I had a fairly easy time integrating and found comfort wherever I went thanks to one special person: my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Quinn.

Because my mom worked with her for many years, Mrs. Quinn was a family friend. Over the summer breaks, my mom took my brother and me to hang out with Mrs. Quinn’s children at a local park. After I returned to public school, Mrs. Quinn allowed me to visit and read to her students on Fridays.

She was always welcoming or supportive, and is still a second mom to me. For example, when I returned to public schools in my fourth grade year, I had few friends. She helped me find a friend group that facilitated my transition and often checked up on me to ensure I was settling in comfortably.

As a result, I met my best friend, Shannon, became friends with students in other grades, and surpassed the expectations I held for myself. Mrs. Quinn is largely responsible for my academic successes throughout my life and, even today, encourages me to work hard and be myself.

Recently, I dated a boy, whose family is good friends with ours. Unfortunately the relationship was far from sunshine and roses. I came home from school each night more stressed, tired, and disappointed than the night before. I cried every day, and at first my mom told me to talk to him and ask him about how he felt, but after over six months of listening to our recurring issues, her only response was “break up with him.” Because of the mental and emotional toll our relationship took on me, I became depressed (and was unaware that my emotional state was in such a condition).

After two years of feeling underappreciated, I found the courage to break up with him. The courage I found was not a miracle or a spur-of-the-moment development. It sprouted from the encouragement I received from Mrs. Quinn. Unlike my mom, she listened each time I vented and found something valuable to say each time. She knew better than anyone that I was not ready to end our relationship; instead, she let me express my emotions and offered advice so I could think clearly and stand up for myself.

Mrs. Quinn remained in my life as my personal cheerleader. She occasionally texted me to check in and ask about school, and whenever I was struggling, she offered to help. Furthermore, during my high school career, I became involved in a variety of community service projects, including volunteering at our middle school. When I realized I could volunteer to help in her class as well, I talked to her about it and she welcomed me with open arms.

The next week, I started as a teacher support to help her students. The opportunity soon became time for us to catch up more than anything else. We discussed relationships, friend drama, my extra-curricular events such as crew races and marching band parades, my classes, and, of course, plans for college. Her willingness to listen to me and offer advice is ultimately what guided me in the direction of psychology. I used our own vent sessions as a gauge for my supposed interest in counseling. Mrs. Quinn is unaware of the impact those conversations had on my decision.

The most impactful change Mrs. Quinn helped me make is in my attitude toward myself. As I mentioned, I am often faced with overwhelming anxiety about my academics and put pressure on myself that often leads to self-doubt and self-hate. Because of her commitment, care, and dedication to my progress and successes, Mrs. Quinn pushed me and taught me ways to manage my stress.

Today, as a junior at Endicott, I am able to extend Mrs. Quinn’s wisdom and guidance to my roommates, my friends, and even strangers. I can say with confidence, although it is a cliché, that I would not be where I am today nor have the qualities I do without her.