The Power We Give The Like Button

I love social media. I always have. I love posting pictures from a night out, I love memes on Twitter, and I love seeing my friends comment about how I "slay". But, in admitting my love for social media, I have to also admit that I hate it as well. The reason for my hatred: the power we give it.

How many likes did you get? How many followers do you have? Why did that b*tch like my comment? Why did she like my boyfriend's photo? Why did he leave my snapchat on open? Why am I not on his private story? These are questions I hear every day. Coming from my friend's mouths as well as mine. When did we let the simple actions of touching a button dictate how others feel around us?

It's actually very sad if you think about it because we are only thinking of it from one side. He didn't like my picture. He must not like me. No, maybe he hasn't been on Instagram today, maybe he is busy at work, or maybe he just didn't like it. But we always have to find a deeper meaning behind it. I realize that this is more of a rant, but I also feel like it needs to be said because we never talk about how this online world is taking over our emotional well beings.

I want to bring awareness to the fact that social media is not where you should turn when you are looking for approval, find a more concrete source. I am working on this too.