The Power Of Decision: Why You Have More Power Than You Thought

You decide your reality.

16
Stephanie Liu

When I was younger, I was always told I was timid and shy. I was. I never asked questions. I didn’t mind being pushed around. I never voiced my opinions. For a while it was dandy, because I didn’t care. Throughout the course of my younger years, I often found myself disappointed from the lingering regret of leaving something in the unknown, wishing something would turn out a different way, wishing I had tried.

At some point in my life, I acknowledged that I am the only person who can dictate my reality. No, I can’t control everything to be a certain way, but I do have the power to say, “This is not the way it’s going to end.” The decisions I make will alter my life. Some decisions may seem small; however, a ton of small decisions can change the person you are, such as the decision to say no to certain questions, or the decision to get rid of the negativity in your life. Even mindset changes, like the decision to wake up and tell yourself you’re going to have a good day can have an effect.

In the past few years of realizing my power over my reality, I have changed for the better. The moment I realized it was the first time I decided to apologize for something that could have ended a different way. It’s easy to ignore a situation and just let it fade away. Sometimes, it’s not even a big deal. But when you decide to apologize, it opens doors that may have been closed before. By deciding to admit that your decisions negatively affected someone and apologizing, it acknowledges that you recognize their feelings and that you are growing.

Ever since I decided to actively make decisions instead of just accepting the way reality seems to be, I have seen myself grow as a person. It doesn’t mean I’m not afraid, but if you weigh out the options of trying and not trying, almost always you will have said “I’m glad I tried.” Sometimes the decisions are small and silly, such as telling a stranger you think they’re attractive, or sometimes the decision to just say hello to someone can spark a new friendship in your life.

I understand that many people wonder about the meaning of life, I know I still do. But I had someone tell me that the meaning of life is to end every day feeling accomplished. It’s a reminder that though I am so small, and I am in a universe that is so big, it is still filled with inexplicable opportunities. I am still capable of creating my reality. No one will ever completely know or understand who I am. Though it may make me feel alone at times, it’s also comforting to know that no one will ever be as "me" as I can. I can do so much, and all I have to do is put my heart into it. Yes, it may not always work in my favor, no matter how hard I try, but it’s always important to try.

Sometimes you may think that with all the patience you put into an opportunity, it was a waste of time, but I don’t believe that. You were trying something real; you are just trying out life a decision at a time, and it’s OK to make mistakes. It will teach you a lot about you. You will understand your patience and your virtue, and you will learn to lose your ego to the world. We are all humans bound to Earth. Sometimes we forget to wake up on time, or we make bad decisions, and sometimes we fail. It’s all just a part of being human.

So know that you can choose the way your life goes. You can’t control the uncontrollable, but you are the only person who can decide how you go through life.