Affirmations are Power

The Power Of Affirmations

It's time to start being nice to yourself.

3

Every day throughout the course of our lives, we think, speak, and act in ways that shape our realities. This statement can be understood by the concept of affirmations, which is defined as anything that we say or think. We affirm, either mentally or verbally, what we think about ourselves, our friends and acquaintances, our situations, and our world. There is definitely a certain power behind verbal affirmations, or, simply put, the statements we vocally make. More often than not, we tend to find ourselves thinking and saying things that are negative. For example, we might have caught ourselves at one point saying or thinking something along the lines of: I'm not as pretty as she is. He's got more charisma than I have. I bet the girl I just met doesn't like me. I won't get the job, since there are so many qualified applicants. The list of negative expressions can go on, but the point is that negativity seems to dominate our thoughts and our words. It's easy to complain and to find fault with everything in your life; however, this can be reversed through affirmations.

How?

It's important to know that your thinking patterns shape your beliefs. In fact, your thoughts are your beliefs. What you think or say habitually influences what you believe. So, if you are constantly thinking about how unqualified you may be for a certain job that you are applying for in comparison with other applicants, then you are internalizing the belief that you do not have what it takes to get the job. As a result, you start to retain this belief with other projects that you take on as well as other job opportunities that you apply for. In essence, your beliefs and perceptions about yourself, others, and the world start with what you think and what you say. By making positive verbal affirmations, you speak into existence what you think about yourself, whether you still believe it or not. You are saying to yourself: I am qualified. I have the experience. I have the skills and tools to succeed. I have what it takes to apply for this job. Random thoughts come and go into our minds on a daily basis. Not every thought is necessarily valid or retains any kind of significance, but, by making positive statements about yourself or your circumstances, you are actively focusing on thoughts that are conducive to creating good experiences. With confident repetition, these positive affirmations become a part of your beliefs. It might even seem too good to be true, too easy to work. You might be thinking: Will saying a couple of nice words about myself really make a difference? Yes, it will.

It's not always easy, especially since we are already conditioned to think and speak in a certain way for the most part, but it is completely possible to break this habit of negativity and substitute it with positivity. Consistency is an important element, because, like with any habit, if you do more of something on a regular basis, the more likely it is that it will become a part of your daily routine. In other words, the more you think and speak positively, even if you have to force yourself in the beginning, the more prone you will eventually become to thinking and speaking in a positive way. Affirmations are great tools to help you become more aware of yourself, your thoughts, your words and the ways in which they affect your life. It's worth giving affirmations a try, because it's always better to make an effort to focus on the positive.