To The PNM Who Doesn't Have The 'Aha!' Moment

You WILL find your home even if it doesn't feel like it.

9
Pi Beta Phi

Recruitment is just around the corner and as members we are so thrilled to meet all you new girls, or rather, PNMs. For potential new members, recruitment is going to be a lot of things, but above all else, it is going to be overwhelming. You are going to see hundreds of girls with perfectly curled hair in color coordinated dresses at every house screaming cheers and songs, telling you why you should choose theirsorority. Lots of girls talk about knowing exactly what house they want before they even start a round. Others will say they had a fairy-tale moment during Round One or Round Two and they just know where they belong. That is fantastic for those girls, but if that does not happen to you that is okay. Don’t panic.

If you’re like me, you will not have that “I was meant to be here” moment for all of recruitment. The house I was lucky enough to join, in all honesty, was not even on my radar. I kept being invited back and there were houses I knew I did not want and this house was not in that group, but I did not enter the house and think “Yep, this is it. These are my people.” There were other houses I thought I might fit into better than that one. Bid Day was one of the most confusing days of my life. I knew I wanted to go Greek, but when I opened my bid card it didn’t make sense. Every other girl in my group talked about knowing where they were meant to be, but I hadn’t really connected in this house. I felt like I didn’t belong because you have this idea built up that when you meet the people you’re supposed to become sisters with, everything changes and it just hits you. For most girls, that doesn’t really happen.

Now, almost a full year later, those are my people. I always count on my Big for advice, my lunch group is full of gossiping and laughing, and one of my soon-to-be roommates was the first person I went to a basketball game with as a student. Between going out on weekends, pulling all-nighters to study (or at least trying to), taking pictures in matching game-day pins, and the frequent 2 a.m. scramble to place a pizza order, I feel blessed to be able to cherish the memories I made with girls I would never have known otherwise. I have a hard time believing I could have fallen in love with another sorority as quickly as I did mine. The girls in my house have gotten me through some of the hardest times of my life already and there will undoubtedly be more in the coming years. I am so grateful that my sorority saw in me what I didn’t and somehow knew I would fit right in. I’m honored to be part of a house with such incredible women.

So, to all you incoming PNMs, don’t write a house off because the air around you doesn’t start glowing when you walk in.

Those could still be your sisters, your best friends, and the people you were meant to be with. If you don’t have “that moment,” it doesn’t mean you don’t fit in. It doesn’t mean your perfect house isn’t out there. It means you’re normal. Recruitment is one of the most overwhelming yet rewarding experiences you will ever have. When you open your card on Bid Day, no matter what you thought you knew or how confused you are, run to your house elated because the system really does work and you’re going to be running to your family -- a family that already loves you. After all, they hand selected you!