The Other Side of the West Side Story

The Other Side of the West Side Story

Their voice was heard, and ours will be too.

14594
The Other Side of the West Side Story
Lauren Strainge

"Please, please it was going so well," is something that my character, Gladhand, says during West Side Story. This quote truly sums up my sentiments about the recently published letter “The Show Must *Not* Go On” featured in this month’s Endicott Observer. Not only did the title of the letter send shockwaves through the cast, but it is impossible. The show will go on, especially since the letter was published the night before opening and without any warning. Before the printing of this letter, the cast had taken many respectful steps to consider and act on the community’s concerns voiced in the Diversity Forum. The directors and our fellow actors had multiple conversations about respect for not only the Latinx community, but the craft of acting, and the duty we have as actors to start hard conversations and bring difficult issues to light. Ryan Sifuentes, who stars in the show as Bernardo, commented on the gusto of our directors after the forum:

“It takes guts and the ability to push pride aside when you are wrong, and Penny and Becca admitted their shortcomings during and after the panel. They opened plenty of avenues for discussion and repeatedly told the cast if they want to voice concerns or comments, they are all ears. This person clearly neglected that, and decided to attempt to derail and bring distrust amongst the cast, which makes myself feel betrayed that another cast member would do such a thing when Penny and Becca have taken so much heat, and dedicate their lives to this performance."

We, as a cast, have made some errors, this is known. However, we have worked very hard to correct the show’s shortcomings to produce something truly respectful and special for the Endicott Community. My opinion is that for the majority of the cast, the Observer letter was a loud minority. Some of the points, although off base, could be perceived as accurate without all of the facts. From an outsider's perspective, I imagine the letter was entertaining to read, but I am not an outsider. I am in the cast of over 100 people who have been working tirelessly since the end of January to bring this show to life.

To address each point may be too tedious, but there are some things mentioned that I personally cannot overlook. It was mentioned that Caucasian students took parts from Latinx students. However, all the Latinx students who auditioned were cast. It is not the fault of our directors that students of color did not audition for this show. Nor is it the duty of students of color to audition for a show that includes characters of color. None of our Latinx cast members believe that parts were taken from them nor that the show is being “white-washed.”Cast member Eneida Martinez, whose heritage is Puerto Rican, plays the character of Estella in our production of West Side Story and spoke about diversity to the cast:

“How could I complain about a lack of diversity on campus, or in the show, if I didn’t do something to change that?” she asked. “This was my chance to get involved. If the small number of students of Hispanic descent in the show brings attention to issues of diversity at Endicott, then that will be a positive.”

This quote is also featured in Co-Artistic Director and Conductor Becca Kenneally’s Director’s note, to show the importance of the Latinx voice in our cast. Although our Latinx cast members do not speak for or assume they speak for all minorities on this campus, they are closest to the show and all its underlying messages. Carlos Pastor, a student of Puerto Rican descent who plays Chino commented on the contents of the letter:

“You can ask any Hispanic here, talking to Ryan Sifuentes (playing Bernardo), or Jose Cermeno (playing Pepe) or Eneida Martinez (playing Estella) and any of the Hispanics that are not cast, no one has an issue with it because it is the message that matters. Everybody can relate to gang violence, hate crimes and racism and things of that nature. That was the one thing that stuck out the most to me that they kind of spoke almost as if they had a say about how the Latinos feel- unless they are Latino, they could be, I don’t know who it is, they could be speaking on their own behalf, but regardless they don’t speak on my behalf, and they don’t speak on anyone in the cast who is of Latin descent’s behalf.”

For the actors portraying Puerto Rican characters, there has been many challenges. Jeana Alfano, a caucasian cast member who stars as Anita, a Puerto Rican woman, reflects on her feelings about the letter and playing a controversial part:

“I have felt uncomfortable and I have felt unable. However, by putting my heart and soul into this character I was able to find the common ground between myself as a woman and Anita. I feel hurt that anyone would question my hard work as an actor in portraying this role.”

Also included in the letter were 5 adults, one of whom is my father, Scott Strainge, who plays Lieutenant Schrank in our production. Every adult in our cast, including our "directors husband and her husbands friend" (as written about by the anonymous cast member) fill vital roles in the show, all of which students were not able to fill, and we, as a full cast, could not imagine our production without them. These casting choices were not made from malice, but to acme student talent as Director Penny Singh states:

"Outside actors may be cast as compliments to student actors in order to highlight them. In the case of our current production, an example would be to give someone a dance partner or stage combat partner. The education of the students, upholding the true message of the story, and the artistic vision are always of highest consideration."

During a discussion I was having with Meaghan DelGenio, who plays Consuela, about the letter she said,

“To know that someone I consider part of my “family,” came forward, targeted many people, including myself, castmates, and directors, really hurts. I feel betrayed, targeted and wounded. I hope whoever wrote this letter knows how much they destroyed the sense of camaraderie throughout the members of our “family.”

This is a common feeling throughout the cast. This letter truly hit home for our cast members, and created a feeling of fragmentation, and a loss of trust. Brooke Sharland, who plays Pauline felt that it was important to address the author of the letter by saying

“What you chose to do…was a punch in the gut to many and left us feeling like we weren’t all on the same page, like we weren’t a family that loved and respected each other. And while you made many of us feel that way, your feelings are still your feelings. You should know that whatever you may be feeling is valid. Your thoughts deserve to be heard as much as anyone else’s, but they should not have been addressed in this way.”

Although many cast members were hurt by the publication of the letter, we as a cast remain hopeful. Regardless of the published commentary on the directors, cast, and crew, the majority opinion remains steadfast: that we are proud to be in this production. Kayleigh Barrucci, President of Drama Club and the Endicott Singers, who plays Officer Krupke, reflects,

"This being my last show at Endicott, I am proud to put on such a controversial show that has brought so many issues to light. We have finally started a discussion on this campus and a safe space was provided by the production team to facilitate these conversations."

Rae Easter, who stars as Maria, also believes that although this show has been controversial, overall it has been beneficial.

“Progress is not meant to be easy or comfortable,” she said. “It has brought up topics that have made us all more open-minded and compassionate. I think that being in the production has made all of us see things from a new perspective, and I feel that I have grown so much through it.”

I agree with Rae. I find that this show has caused tensions within the cast and Endicott community, but has made us all better in the end. As a cast, we would like to thank Dean Mark Towner, along with Doctor Wylie for their love and support during our show and after the letter was published. It is truly special to all of us that we have supportive adults in our lives who are not directly included in the production process.