To The Ones They Call "Bro"

To The Ones They Call "Bro"

For my girls who feel like they will forever be called one of the boys.

393
To The Ones They Call "Bro"
Jakob Owens

Growing up I spent a majority of my time around my two brothers. I played video games with them, I tried all the sports, and I often found myself dressing a little bit like them. (Tshirts are really comfy, okay?) I also have had the privilege of watching my younger brother play soccer for eight years and will get to continue watching him as he begins collegiate soccer in the fall.

There is a blessing that comes from growing up around boys. You are able to learn their mannerisms and what quirks they have as they begin to grow up and get into the world of dating as well.

However, as the years have progressed I found myself getting involved in activities that would be considered "girly" to an extent. I took dance classes for eight years, I began to love painting, in college I joined a sorority, and I did color guard. I still find myself wanting to watch whatever hockey, baseball, or soccer game is on T.V. occasionally.

As I got older I also found myself in the terrifying world of dating. I had my first boyfriend at fifteen, my second at seventeen, and I really haven't been in a relationship since then. Have I tried to date since then? Absolutely. However, nowadays in the world of dating, I often find myself being told how much of a "bro" I am to a majority of guys I come across in college or I get really nervous and tell them I like them and they often get squirrely with their feelings and disappear.

The ones that end up calling me "bro" normally do so after we discuss one sport or another and they are shocked by my depth of knowledge on soccer and hockey. Bro: That single word can almost feel like a defeat when in the world of dating because it feels like you're often being passed up for some reason or another. It can often feel like because of something you did or said guys have less interest in you so they tell you that you are like a "bro" to them to ease the blow.

I for one believe that to be total and utter crap.

Being the "bro" friend of all your girls sometimes means that guys are more comfortable having conversations with you about a multitude of topics. It sometimes means that you're the one that gets invited out to the sports bar to go watch whatever game is on that night. It also means that sometimes you're the one inviting your guy friends out to watch a game or two at the bar. It also can result in them asking you for dating advice or being your protector when your feelings are hurt by a boy.

Just because you're able to sit around with a bunch of guys and talk sports doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. You may be talking about the ridiculous home run scored by Randall Grichuk last night during the game. (Yes, I'm a Cardinals fan, sue me.) That doesn't mean that suddenly you aren't as pretty as any other girl in the room. You could have some popping eye makeup going on and still be able to talk about all the ridiculous plays that Vladamir Tarasenko makes during a game. (LGB.) You might find yourself being able to go back and forth with someone in meanings of witty jokes all while killing it in your cutest outfit.

Just because you're able to be comfortable around guys doesn't mean that you are not datable. It means that you are the most wonderful version of yourself around every single person you meet whether it be a guy or girl.

So to my ladies who are sitting back right now reading this, own that contour, work that big baseball jersey, and most importantly be proud of who you are. The version of you that everyone sees is the best version of you.

In the words of a very important icon named RuPaul, "If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?"