The One That Didn't Work Out

The One That Didn't work out

We all have the one person we wonder "what if" with.

405
www.unsplash.com
Unsplash

You know how there's that someone who you wanted something with so bad? That someone who you tried to start something with, but the candle never lit?

I don't want to say the one that got away because that's not the case. I'm talking about that girl you had a crush on and hooked up with once but never made the next move, or you just didn't think was interested. Or that guy you couldn't stop looking at from the second you met him.

You probably won't admit it, but you think about them. You think about them when they come in a conversation with friends, and they say, "Oh my God, remember that one time?" You think about them when you think you picked a good one when, really, they're just as weird as the last.

They're the person you wanted something with so bad it hurt. They're the person you want to be around but didn't exactly know how.

The person you were always lowkey about, but your best friends knew what was really going on in your head. The person you complained about a lot, to keep up with your lowkey attitude you were trying to have.

Whenever what happened, happened while you were on cloud nine. You finally got what you wanted, and it was probably even better than what you might have thought. You rode the high from it like us Eagles fans are riding that Super Bowl win high, still.

You wanted more, but you never got it.

You got what you wanted and then, somehow, it got away from you. Or, somehow, you convinced yourself it was a bad idea. You played out the negative situations. You waited for some form of communication. You hoped that maybe they would pull through and make the move.

You convinced yourself weeks or months later it was the right thing to happen. It wouldn't work out. It wouldn't end well. It just wasn't right.

But this is the tricky part. You find yourself every so often wondering if you convinced yourself the right thing. If convincing yourself to stop trying was the right thing to do, and if convincing yourself of every single wrong situation was what you were meant to do.

They're the person you'll wonder about until the one comes along and you're getting engaged. Or they're getting engaged and you're happy for them.

But hey, maybe they won't be the one that didn't work out forever. Maybe you'll get engaged to each other. Maybe the stars will align and everything that was meant to be will be.

I guess we'll just wait and see.