Meet The Odyssey At Winthrop, Editor-in-Chief, Zuri Anderson

Views of a young journalist on the rise.

26
DP3 Architects

Meet the Odyssey at Winthrop Editor-in-Chief Zuri Anderson. Zuri Anderson has set the tone for her career path in journalism at Winthrop University.

While only being a sophomore, she has proven her strengths and capabilities within the leadership roles she holds while remaining focused within her studies.

She also has strong interest to possibly intern with the Charlotte Observer, or another online outlet similar to the Odyssey in the near future. Anderson, who is from North Charleston, is a Mass Communication Major, Psychology minor, and is currently working on a French concentration.

Take a look at her Q/A below:

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me about your role at Winthrop; this includes any leadership awards, honors recognition, and positions you currently hold or had recently within your major or on campus in general.

Zuri Anderson: Well, I am currently the Editor-in-Chief of Winthrop’s online Odyssey Team, managing editor at the Roddey-McMillan Record, the school’s diversity newspaper, a staff writer for the Johnsonian, (Winthrop’s weekly newspaper),and the secretary for Winthrop’s Association of Black Journalists. I am also a part of Winthrop’s Literary Society and Psychology Club.

I was a student caller at Phonathon last year (2015-2016), a volunteer at the Winthrop Think College program (aiding students with intellectual disabilities), and I am still a Close Scholar, (a student who does 112 hours of community service each semester).

I also made the President’s List last year for both semesters (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016), and I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

SB: To date, what has been your favorite current event to cover and write on at Winthrop?

ZA: The “MLK Day of Service” was my favorite event to cover. It was powerful, impactful, and an amazing experience as both a volunteer and a person. Not only that, but I was able to get some great important quotes from people about how they felt about the event, and the true meaning of giving back and strengthening a community.

My story on it was published in the January 2016 issue of the RMR.

SB: What organization has been your favorite to be a part of and why?

ZA: Winthrop Think College and Winthrop Association for Black Journalist (WUABJ). Winthrop Think College is always fun, and it is amazing getting to know and work with the people there; it is such an enriching experience.

WUABJ is also a fun and engaging environment that I love being a part of. Great for both my future career and social time, the members are always great to be with and know how to get things done!

SB: Junior theater major and writing minor Kareem Wilson considers Anderson to be quite personable.

“She is a very responsible eclectic character to work with in WUABJ. She always keeps us entertained and even though she is new to the team she still acts like she’s been part of us for years,” he said.

SB: Can you tell the readers about your first Winthrop MCOM dinner?

ZA: My first Mass Comm. Dinner took place on Wednesday April 13, 2016. The event was to recognize juniors, seniors, and qualifying scholarship recipients. It was a professional and extraordinary event! I was recognized by the RMR Editor-in-Chief Alli Steinke during her speech. A lot of my peers were recognized and presented with scholarships. I was so proud of them, and it inspired me to do more activities like them!

SB: Senior mass communication major Alli Steinke said Anderson has grown a lot.

“She’s really stepped up into her leadership positions and I see great potential in her,” Steinke said.

SB: What experience have you been able to gain this past semester and recently this summer?

ZA: I had some experience being the culture section editor for the first time in the Spring semester of my freshman year at the Roddey-McMillan Record. I became the Managing Editor before the end of the semester. For the Odyssey, I started as a content creator after my birthday (June 23), and I was recommended to become an Editor-in-Chief after the previous one resigned. I started in late July.

SB: Tell me about your new role as Editor-in-Chief of the Odyssey? What is your purpose and plan to ensure that the publication continues to be successful at Winthrop?

ZA: My purpose is to build up and organize the Winthrop team, recruit prospective members, and promote conversation in the Winthrop community via the Odyssey’s content. My plan is to bring our team together and to build it up, and then promote the Odyssey at Winthrop to create those conversations. Winthrop is such an open and diverse community, so the content that the creators bring would thrive.

SB: How do you plan to bring forth new staff writers and contributors, editors to the Odyssey?

ZA: Advertisement in many ways! Social media, word of mouth, through friends, current content creators and clubs, flyers, and student announcements.

SB: How is this publication different from the other publications at Winthrop in your opinion?

ZA: I feel like it is different because the angles one different issues, stories or events are usually different or personable. People develop a connection to the articles that speak to them, or gives them ideas they have never thought of before. I read the Odyssey just about every day, and I get new perspectives on things all the time.

SB: What department or team of people/students are you working with at?

ZA: I’m working with a team of diverse people! The vast majority are female, but everyone has different ideas and approaches to how they write articles. One of my recent content creators is actually in Chicago! Reading and editing them is always amazing, and I am proud of being a part of this team!

SB: How were you able to receive this opportunity?

ZA: Well, I was interested in writing for the Odyssey since it is a feasible outlet into my career as an online journalist, so that was the main reason I joined. I was just writing like I normally do and contributing until I got a phone call from one of the managing editors, Tyler Lyman, about the Editor-in-Chief position. I was absolutely surprised!

SB: What is your future career goals as it relates to completing your degree?

ZA: My future goals is to be an influential journalist to people in terms of culture, ideas, lifestyle and inspirational news; my primary focus will be in online journalism and with multimedia.

SB: What is your overall goal once you have completed your time as Editor-in-Chief of the Odyssey?

ZA: To take what I learned from being an editor, and apply it to my future ventures, such as Managing Editor at the RMR, or maybe a future editor position at the Johnsonian.

SB: After obtaining your degree at Winthrop, how do you plan on reaching your main career goal(s)?

ZA: I plan on reaching my main career goal by getting involved with publications, both traditional and online, and other news outlets to widen my skill set and learn new things! I also plan on staying with the Odyssey.

SB: Who is your favorite journalist, and what is your favorite magazine or news publication?

ZA: Hmm, I actually don’t have a favorite journalist or publication! I read the New York Times, Quartz, and browse Twitter and MSN.com for interesting news pieces. Sometimes I watch CNN, and the local news channels. I like to keep my options varied and open!

SB: It seems like from the time you entered WU campus to now you have been able to do some cool things. How will you maximize your junior year?

ZA: Oh man, that depends on what I accomplish this year! I will certainly be seeking out a couple more leadership positions and continue applying myself. Chances are I'm still going to be the RMR's Managing Editor. One thing is for sure, I plan on studying abroad in either Dublin, Ireland or Sydney, Australia through IES Abroad!

SB: Is there anything else that you’d like to share?

ZA: I’m a total animal lover, nerd enthusiast (anime, manga, TV shows/movies, video games, books), and I LOVE having fun and getting out! I need to get out of my cave!

SB: Tell me a fun fact about you? (if you traveled to a different state, country, saw your favorite musician, met someone famous, interned somewhere cool, volunteered somewhere cool anything.)

ZA: When I come home during breaks, I like to volunteer at the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, SC. It is really fun, because I get to work with animals and educate people! It’s the reason I like snakes and alligators.

Another fun fact is that my grandmother wanted to name me Uzuri but my mom dropped the U.

SB: In Swahili the name Zuri means the following: good, nice, lovely and beautiful.

SB: Is there anything else you would like to share as it relates to your role on the Odyssey staff, or your career goals or college semester goals this year?

ZA: I just can’t wait to get started! This community is going to blow up with awesomeness in the future, and I want to lay the foundation for that greatness to continue! As for my semester, I can’t wait to see myself improve and grow with all these responsibilities and classes. I found myself freshman year, now I want to build myself up! I’ll also be planning my study abroad semester as well for either Dublin or Sydney. It’s going to be a great year!