The Night the Eagles Became Super Bowl Champions

The moment the Eagles officially won the Super Bowl was only just the beginning...

341
Usa Today

If you would’ve asked me five, three, or even one year ago where I thought I would be after Super bowl LII, never in a million years would I have imagined that I’d be right in the city of Philadelphia, amidst the chaos and aftermath of an Eagle’s Victory. I was raised a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and seldom even watched football, but it would be absolutely absurd for me not to admit that Sunday, February 4th was a night that will forever go down in history as the night something truly crazy and remarkable happened. Eagles fans all over the country watched their team finally win a Super bowl, and I got to experience one of the most energized and incredible nights of my life.

Everyone knew the Eagles as a bad team that would never win the Super Bowl. I constantly remember my dad, who is a Steelers fan, taunting and messing around with his best friend, who was an Eagles fan, every time he would come over to watch a game. He teased him to the point where even my siblings and I eventually caught on and would join in on the fun too.

So you can see why an Eagles Super Bowl win is such a crazy twist of events from my point of view. In the beginning of the season, I knew the Eagles were doing a lot better than they had in previous years, but for them to get as far as the Super bowl was something I never imagined actually happening. I even joked with my friends, who are all Eagles fans, that I would shave my head if they actually won this year, because the possibility of it actually happening seemed as absurd as pigs flying or it raining literal cats and dogs. A lot of times people never even remember the important things I say, but of course my friends just so happened to have an impeccable memory throughout this season and constantly reminded me that I would HAVE to shave my head if they won. *Sorry guys, I would probably look like Gollum if I was bald, but maybe we can make up something else ridiculous for me to do?*

Anyway, the events that led up to and eventually followed the ultimate dub of the Eagles against the Patriots were absolutely insane. My friends were so hyped up after the time on the clock finally ran out and the Eagles were officially declared the winners of the 52nd Super Bowl. The only thing left to do was celebrate and RIOT in the streets of Philadelphia after I officially considered myself an interim Eagles fan for the night.

As soon as we got outside, the streets echoed with various chants and victory screeches from fans all across the proximity of the part of Drexel’s campus that we were currently residing in. Before the game even started, it should be noted that the weather for most of Philadelphia was a relentless downpour of rain, almost like the city knew a victory was on its way and it wanted to spiritually cleanse the whole area to make room for the events that would take place post game. The streets almost glistened and the air felt light and crisp rather than dense and used. It may have been freezing cold outside, but that wasn’t even noticeable to me, my friends, or even the hundreds of other people all following each other to our destination that was ahead.

I never particularly liked or felt comfortable in any city I have ever been in, but the sense of togetherness and community that was brought upon by the victory of the Philadelphia Eagles made me feel right at home. As we marched towards Broad Street, I found everyone, including myself, chanting, yelling, laughing, and screaming “GO BIRDS!” to anyone around me and they were all doing the same exact thing too. The closer we got, the more the city was lit up green, the louder the voices became, and the less space we had around us to move. When we all started to become smooshed up next to each other and people stopped moving as fast, my friends and I finally got the opportunity to look at all of the crazy things happening around us.

On every city pole, lamppost, or streetlight there was a person climbing up and hanging on for dear life as groups of people around them cheered them on to get up higher. On our right there was a person holding a huge speaker and blasting music as people were dancing, shotgunning beers, and exclaiming, “FREE MEEK MILL”. Above us, there were spectators in buildings who were standing on balconies and peaking out windows just to get a glimpse of all the madness unfolding below them. Several minutes later we witnessed the rapid shaking of a streetlight, which eventually became so loose and violent that it fell straight to the ground and cleared a massive portion of people out of its way. If a streetlight falls and there’s too many noisy, rioting Eagles fans around, does it make a sound? The answer is no.

Straight ahead of us as the massive mob of people swayed forward, others began to climb up a hotel’s porte cochere, or as I like to call it, the big awning thing that covers a hotel’s entrance. There was a risky few who decided to entertain the crowd by doing several back flips across the limited surface. As more and more climbed up on it, a select amount of people decided to put their trust in the City of Brotherly Love and actually jumped off or fell backwards into the crowd. The number of people on the awning eventually grew to the point that not even the miraculous energy that led the Eagles to victory could keep it up. It unhinged and came crumbling to the ground as fast as the hopes of another Patriots Super bowl win after Tom Brady fumbled in the 4th quarter.

The smell of pot, booze, and sweat filled the streets as out of tune squalls came from every direction. People scaled massive garbage trucks that were spray painted “GO EAGLES” in green, while others smiled and drunkenly stumbled around into their friends and people they didn’t even know. It seemed like for just one night, and one night only, the city of Philadelphia had no rules whatsoever and for some reason I wasn’t even scared anything too bad was going to happen to me. As soon as loud booms erupted around us, the whole crowd shuddered, but then eventually screamed with childish glee when we all realized the explosion was just fireworks. Crackles of colorful fireballs shot up straight into the air above our heads and sometimes even ricocheted against the sides of massive buildings that seemed like they were probably important.

The whole night could probably be summed up as the ultimate mix of Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and the Fourth of July all in one. During the game and all of the events that followed, there was no room for sadness and all of the troubles of the past, only celebration of the present. I will forever be grateful to the Eagles and the City of Philadelphia for giving me a once in a lifetime experience that I will surely never forget for the rest of my life. Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles- Super Bowl LII champions on a well deserved win. Cheers to a moment most will never remember, but a night they’ll never forget.