The New Conservative Tax Agenda: A Blast From the Past

How the new Republican Tax Reform Bill employs the same ideologies as the past, but on a much more confusing scale than before.

26
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/07/6364299779175420011056487620_104691449-RTX3EVMV.1910x1000.jpg

With a Republican Controlled Congress in addition to a conservative majority in the Supreme Court and the executive dominated by the conservative agenda, it seems like the time is right for the Republicans to role out their new tax agenda. And so they have. Before the agenda was even revealed, one could expect that the conservative agenda would be to reduce the amount of taxes paid to the government by a significant amount, most notably reducing the amount of taxes on the wealthy while keeping overall taxes on the poor and middle classes the same or even increasing them. Despite the new Republican rhetoric, this new tax agenda does exactly that and then some.

Trump has said that his goal to lower the income taxes for all brackets and make things simpler is primarily to increase economic growth and to "bring back the jobs that have left our country." His logic behind this is that with lower corporate and business taxes and taxes on the wealthy that the billionaire investors who move their capital overseas will bring back said capital into the United States to augment the economy. His simplistic and utopian mentality has become quite a staple of his administration.

However, not only does this approach go against the very goals it seeks out to accomplish, but it works to the detriment of the Republican base as well. First and foremost, a significant decrease in taxes has only led to significant growth amongst the top 1 percent of individuals. This is the classic flaw of trickle-down theorists who argue that if you give money to the top brackets of the economy, then the money will trickle down. This is wrong for several reasons but the most notably being the fact that those in the top percentages of the socio-economic spectrum have a larger propensity to save than the rest. This means that those at the top are more likely to save that money rather than spend and invest it. As the late economist John Maynard Keynes explained, you cannot contribute to economic growth without having significant spending. This spending will increase demand and therefore will increase employment and overall economic growth. However, this approach seems to be the opposite and seeks to continue this trickle-down agenda when the administration should be pursuing trickle-up policies. The administration relies too heavily on the free market.

Finally, in Trump's oversimplification of the tax base, left the bill is completely unanswered and frankly I question whether this is even a proposal at all. The bill lacks any sort of quantitative analyiss or any sort of numerical detail. There are no charts or brackets that detail how every different person who earns a different income in those respective brackets would see their tax percentages change on the federal level. In addition, the bill is left ambiguous so that the tax cuts on the wealthy could be significantly larger than previously detailed.