The Musical To See, 'Les Misérables'
Theater

The Musical To See, 'Les Misérables'

"Les Misérables," what an incredible production to witness and here are my thoughts on the whole production.

35
The Musical To See, 'Les Misérables'
Amber Smith

Back in my home state of Louisiana, I went to go see the musical "Les Misérables" at the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans. This was my third time going to see a musical production at the Saenger and I was thrilled to return back there!

The first two shows I saw were both Phantom of the Opera roughly four years apart. I knew going in that I would love this production due to the fact that I absolutely adore musicals and any type of plays.

From the first note to the last I would have goosebumps cover my arms and cheeks from excitement and pure admiration and awe of how incredible this piece was. Every time there would be high notes carried out beautifully the audience was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, everyone was captured by the radiance that these actors and actresses possessed.

The stage sets and props were absolutely incredible! From moving pieces to real fire lite torches! You could really tell that the directors truly put in a lot of time and effort to make the audience feel as if they were within the musical themselves as it went along.

One stage act, in particular, was so iconic and by far one of my favorite parts of the entire production. Inspector Javert, appeared as if he was falling off the top of a bridge into an abyss of darkness to his death when in reality it was just a moving screen in the background that was pitch black to where you could only see the actors body and him moving his arms in a circular motion to make it seem as if he was falling.

Throughout the whole play, the use of technology truly brought to life the scenes and the production itself altogether. Moving backgrounds helped with the illusions that scenes were actually changing. Real gunshots would ring out during fighting scenes and you could smell the smoke from the gunfire drift throughout the theatre. I definitely jumped in my seat slightly when the first gunshot rang out.

During the fight when bodies were dropping left and right at the barricade I had tears streaming down my cheeks from the raw emotion you could feel in the air and the sadness that washed over me, especially when Gavroche, the little boy was shot and killed.

The intensity of the whole production from the cries and shouts of pain from the men fighting for their freedom to when Cosette was losing her father in the end; every scene was put together flawlessly and was truly breathtaking to watch.

There was not a moment throughout the whole production that I was not on the edge of the seat with my eyes glued to the stage in fear that I would miss out on the smallest of details or actions. The story of Jean Valjean is not one to miss out on!

From the directors, actors, writers and prop makers; "Les Misérables" was truly a beautiful and wonderful moment to experience. I would go again in a heartbeat and suggest to everyone to make time to go see it for themselves.