Much of the culture of this city dates back to the 15th and 16th centuries when explorers who came with the aim of chartering new lands.

Today, Lisbon has become an extremely vibrant and colorful destination for tourists to visit. This city is quite famous for its sunny and warm disposition, along with a number of historic monuments, top-class museums, and great food.

Since this city is relatively small, it can easily be explored on public transport. However, in case you are short on time, you may want to rent a car in Lisbon to experience the most out of it.

In this article, I list the top three tourist attractions that you must visit during a short stay in Lisbon.

The Oceanario de Lisboa (Lisbon Oceanarium)

The Lisbon Oceanarium is one of the finest aquariums in all of Europe. It is also considered to be one of the largest Aquariums in the world. Hence, it happens to be a great family-oriented place to visit.

The Lisbon Oceanarium houses a wide number of mind-boggling and fascinating marine animals, along with a number of bird species. It features a magnificent layout that represents the habitats of the Antarctic, Indian, Pacific, and Atlantic oceans.

Indeed, all of these different ecosystems featured in this oceanarium are no less than a treat for lovers/explorers of marine life.

The National Museum of Ancient Art

The National Museum of Ancient Art is considered to be one of the biggest cultural attractions of Lisbon. It is also the national gallery of Portugal and contains the biggest collection of the 16th and 15th-century paintings. At the same time, a wide range of African, Oriental, and European art further adds to its allure.

In case you happen to visit this magnificent museum, set aside at least two hours of your time to explore it fully. This is because the extensive array of paintings are no less than a treat to watch for art lovers, and once you begin, you may not want to leave unless you've explored them all.

While level 1 off this facility captures a wide range of jewelry, silverware, ceramics, and art dating back to Portuguese discoveries, level 2 illustrates Portuguese-Japanese trading. At the same time, level 3 highlights purely Portuguese sculpture and paintings.

St. George's Castle

St. George's Castle happens to be one of the most major attractions in Lisbon. It features a range of smaller attractions that includes an archeological site, a highly engaging museum, and an impressive series of battlements.

Atop that, the site also features a Camera Obscura periscope that is featured in a tower, providing a 360 degrees view of the entire city below.

All in all, a drive to St. George's Castle could be a very rewarding experience for lovers of history and architecture.