This Generation Is A Failure

This Generation Is A Failure

The millennial generation

290
This Generation Is A Failure
smallbusiness.com

This generation is completely different from any other that has been around this far. We grew up in a time where technology was beginning to take over. People created advanced technology to help aid us in our lives but failed to realize didn't realize that technology was becoming our lives. Technology really took its toll on the millennial generation. We had, and still continue to have, everything at our fingertips and I think it is because of this that we are different. We have a completely different way of thinking than any generation before us -- and that's not necessarily a good thing. Why is this generation like this? We were raised by good people, raised to do good and be our best selves, however that is not how we behave.

Today, vulgarity is accepted more than ever before. We curse more than we say "thank you." We curse to be funny, we curse to get our point across, we curse just to curse. We only care about what directly concerns us. We don't truly care about each other. We don't respect each other. We don't respect our elders, the people who raised us, the people who spoiled us. We don't take the older generations seriously. "They don't know what they are talking about times were different back then."

Just because we are the millennial generation who grew up with technology at our fingertips we believe we are superior, but have done nothing to prove our superiority other than merely exist. We are angry and indignant because our elders think negatively about generation, but we don't make any effort to change their opinions of us. We are angry in general. We are lazy, in our relationships as well as at work. We don't understand that everything in life isn't given; it is earned. We don't want to get our hands dirty or put in long hours. We don't want to start at the bottom and work our way up. We don't want to work, we don't even want responsibility.

Our society is a society where where artists no longer sing about love and romance but about drugs, sex and alcohol. We not only degrade women, but we degrade relationships. We have adapted the "hookup culture." We go though people like we go through pieces of paper. We don't want to put in work to keep someone around. Why should we have to? While we talk down relationships, we praise unfaithfulness. Saying "I love you" is just something you say, you don't have to mean it anymore.

We mistake success and happiness for money and pleasure. Our role models are no longer based on our morals and values, but on how many followers they have on social media and how much money they make. We over share on social media. We stage our lives for pictures to post on social media so everything looks perfect and nobody can see what's going on behind the scenes. We are allowing all the things we see in the media illustrate our idea of how life should be when, in reality, life is so much more than just a pretty picture or 150 words or less. We are all feeding into the competition that is social media -- who has the coolest life, who has the strongest caption game, who takes the artsiest pictures? It's all a competition.

We care too much about what people think. We decide what to post online based on how many likes or retweets we think we will get. We spend too much time online and not enough time with each other in the moment. We are the generation that can’t even go up to our friends house and ring the doorbell to let them know we have arrived; we take the easy way out and shoot them a text saying “here” and wait for them to come out. We are the generation who uses our phones as a shields to avoid eye contact with other people -- how pathetic is that? And we are the generation who would rather sit around and "sub-tweet" each other than sit down and hash out our issues in person.

This generation has grown so far away from the idea of looking directly at one another and having a face-to-face conversation that we use technology to avoid one another at all cost. This was not how the world used to be. It’s okay to look at each other and smile instead of walking with our heads down, with our nose stuck in our phones. We are making the world a more negative place and we don't even care. I feel as though this generation is a failure, but I'm willing to be proven wrong..

If you are a millennial, here are some challenges for you: Leave the phone at home for the day, or at least in your pocket for a few hours. Make eye contact and smile at the people you come across instead of playing with your phone to avoid eye contact. Before you open your mouth to sing along to your favorite song, listen to the lyrics and figure our the meaning behind the song. Hold the door for someone. Say "thank you and "please" more than curse words. Do something for someone, even though you know you will get nothing in return for it. Take a picture, but don't post it on social media.

Don't go compare yourself or your life to what you see in the media. Think something, but don't tweet about it. When you have a problem with someone talk to them face-to-face. Sometimes, don't talk -- just shut up and listen. Sit down and listen to the older generation. Show your parents some love, they raised you after all. Talk to your grandparents more, you could learn so much from them, their wisdom is more valuable than you can imagine right now and they aren't going to be around forever.

Work as hard as you can at ever opportunity you are given. Think about your future, even if it scares you, and think about how your actions now will effect you later down the road. Worry more about real life relationships than the number of followers you have. Tell people you love them only when you know you truly love them. Pray for your future husband or wife, they are out there somewhere. Just don't be a jerk.

Although these things may sound ridiculous, if all the millennials started doing more of these things and less of the things we are currently doing, we would be in much better shape for the future. Do I honestly think this generation is going to get it's act together? No, in all honestly I don't, but I would love to be proven wrong.

What is our generation going to be remembered for? A bunch of raunchy songs and self proclaimed entitlement? Maybe. What stories are we going to have to tell our children? Stories about how many retweets we got on Twitter this one time and how many guys we talked to on Tinder? Those weren't the types of stories that I was told from my parents and grandparents and I don't know about you, but those aren't the types of stories I want to tell my kids and grandkids, some day.

We have to start experiencing life again and start getting back to the way humans used to interact with one another. At this point, I am fully aware that we probably will not change. We are stuck in our ways, we like our hedonistic ways and our social media platforms that we use to display ourselves. We still won't want to get our hands dirty, work or even respect our elders. I only hope that future generations will turn our differently, maybe this generation is rock bottom and we will inspire other generations to turn out better than we did. Hopefully, they will step up to the plate and take on responsibility.

With any luck there will be a generation in the future that will be the next greatest generation, but I'm sad to say I don't think that will be the Millennials. Our generation is still the future, we are far from being over with, but we need to step it up. Challenge yourself to be better if not for yourself for the generation as a whole. We may be the future, but we need to get it together. The way we are living is no way to live.