The Many Times Grey's Anatomy Had Us in Tears

"We've survived an unusual number of bad things "

55
HerCampus

It's Grey's Anatomy, the famous medical drama where a bunch of surgeons survives an unusually large number of disasters. From breakups and unhealthy relationships to hospital shootings and bombs, it's amazing how the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital are still able to keep their lives together without needing piles and piles of therapy.

1. When Addison met Meredith

One of the first "oh my god" moments on the show occurred when Addison walked right into Meredith and Derek's happy life. While some feel bad for Meredith, others feel bad for Addison. It's the classic love triangle, all centered around McDreamy aka Derek Shepherd.

2. When John Doe was George O'Malley

007. The three numbers that George feebly marked onto Meredith's hand, trying to tell her that it was one of her best friends. George died a heroic death, pushing a woman out of the way of a truck to save her life, and him getting hit instead. Before surgery, Meredith checks on John Doe and he grabs onto her hand, not letting go. When she finally realizes it's George, she runs to get the other surgeons, but it was already too late for him.

3. When Meredith confronts her father

"Why didn't you stay and fight for me?" The point where Meredith finally brings up the past with her father was heart-wrenching and painful not just for her, but for all Grey's fans too.

4. When Izzie sees George at the doors of heaven

Izzie Stevens was a character on Grey's who had undeniably sad relationships with George, Denny, and Alex. In a season finale episode, we see George waiting for Izzie (who has cancer), ready to escort her to heaven.

5. When Denny dies.

"Dad, Mom, it's me. I'm calling from Seattle Grace hospital...I know who I am now. I know what I want. I've got the love of my life, and a new heart. And I want you guys to get on the next plane out here and meet my girl. Everything's going to be different now." Just hours after Denny finally proposes to Izzie, Denny goes into surgery and dies of a stroke.

6. When the plane crashed

The plan crash was probably one of the saddest episodes on Grey's to date. While Meredith searches for Derek in the crash, Christina and Mark try to move the debris off Lexie. They quickly realize her injuries were too severe, so Mark holds her hand and tells her the life they were supposed to live together until her eyes close.

7. When Derek gets shot in front of Meredith

The Seattle Grace Mercy West shooting coins the hospital as "Seattle Grace Mercy Death". Gary Clark, the shooter, blames Derek for the death of his wife and hunts for Derek in the hospital. Derek doesn't know who the shooter is, so when he sees Clark and warns him to get to safety. "I know it's not safe. That's the point. You don't recognize me do you?" Derek finally realizes who Clark is and that he's here to kill him.

8. When Meredith tells Derek to let go

When Meredith tells Derek that she and their kids would be okay, her loss will be felt by all of Grey's fans. This episode started a brand new chapter of her life on the show. Director Shonda Rhimes later told E!News that she couldn't bring herself to go to set while it was being shot.

9. When Arizona lost her leg.

Arizona Robbins's battle after getting her leg amputated lead her depression. She suffered from things like the phantom limb to using the bathroom, and her recovery identified her as an unmistakably strong character.

10. When Meredith and Christina had their last dance party

"You're my person. So be my person." Grey's Anatomy coined the term, "my person". Here's a clip of the very two people who started it, while Christina and Meredith shared their last sad happy moment on Grey's Anatomy by dancing it off.